PDA

View Full Version : Boat Finish

cham783
08-17-2003, 07:25 AM
I am looking for advice on the best products for bringing out the shine in an older Boomerang. I recently bought a 93 that was real chalky and didn't have a lot of shine to the gelcoat. I washed it and it got rid of the chalk but no luck on the shine. I have tried two or three different brands of marine fiberglass restorer, compound, and finisher and it looks a little better but I can't seem to get a consistent finish with a decent glossy shine. You can see differences in the finish each place I started a new section when I was waxing it. Is it in my application technique, the product I am using, or is it just impossible to get the thing to look nice without having the gelcoat redone?

Chad

waterboy
08-17-2003, 03:50 PM
Chad,
It's certainly not impossible to bring the shine back. A good polishing with an electric buffer and some rubbing compound should remove the oxidation. Then once more with some polish, followed by hand waxing with a carnuba wax should do the trick. If you don't have any experience with a buffer, maybe a local boat dealer could do it. If you want to try it yourself, here's a link to get you started:

http://www.daklabs.com/Boat_Detailing_tips.htm

Brian

TheBeeZ
08-18-2003, 09:40 AM
There is a product that is called Tree Wax that is very good. It specifically made for gelcoat finishes. They also sell a product that removes the oxidation. You can find it at
www.c-mesales.com.

noneya
08-18-2003, 01:47 PM
Meguires has a whole line of boat cleaning products that work really well