PDA

View Full Version : What kind of car(s) do you drive?

ian ashton
03-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Well since the job thread seems to have gone well, lets see what you roll when your on land.

This is my daily driver, its a 2008 Chrysler 300. I picked it up in December, I just had Eibach springs installed, tint all the way around (15% on the back and sides, and 35% on the windshield), I've got a blacked out grille, blacked out headlights, and black 20" SRT8 wheels for it once spring rolls around. This pic was taken right after I had the suspension done, it has since settled and sits a touch lower now;
http://faguba.com/gallery/albums/userpics/P2191548.JPG

This is my 1988 Honda CRX;
http://faguba.com/gallery/albums/userpics/IMG_7037.jpg
I completely gutted the car and had it painted inside and out. New quarter panels, rocker panels, fenders, CF hood, and I had the sunroof removed. Acura Integra GSR engine/trans swap, Eagle rods, Wiseco pistons, ACT Stage2 clutch and light weight flywheel, 6pt cage, 5pt racing harnesses, coilover suspension, Weds Sport wheels, Sparco seats/quick release steering wheel/pedals. The engine is still on the stand, hoping to have the car buttoned up for a few autocrosses this summer.

This is my 1991 Honda CRX Si.
http://faguba.com/gallery/albums/userpics/113105480-M.jpg
This car also has an Acura Integra GSR engine/trans swap, stock interior, KYB AGX struts with coil-over sleeves, 22mm sway bars. This car is a lot more comfortable to drive with the softer suspension and stock interior. (The pic was taken while I was autocrossing, I don't drive around the streets with numbers on the side, lol.)

I used to have a Grand Cherokee, but I turned it in when I got the 300. I'm thinking I might have to get something to tow with once I get the boat, as I don't think a lowered 300 will be the best vehicle for the job, haha.

zegm
03-02-2008, 03:04 PM
My baby!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff136/zegm/5er1-1.jpg (http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff136/zegm/?action=view&current=5er1-1.jpg)

zegm
03-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Lets try that again!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff136/zegm/5er1-1.jpg

tlatoani
03-02-2008, 03:29 PM
05 Subaru STi. It's listed as grey but it's really a dark silver.
99 Cherokee sport, purple. Wifey's car. (may get traded before long-the XLV is a bit big to two with a smallish suv)

Don't have any pics online.

zegm
03-02-2008, 03:59 PM
OH all vehicles.

Wife has a 2006 VW Jetta TDI

and the boats share a 2002 Chevy Silverado.

bamaspiveys
03-02-2008, 05:35 PM
hmmmmm that is odd

Sled491
03-02-2008, 05:39 PM
One after the other is kind if interesting :?

Sled491
03-02-2008, 05:44 PM
thanks Ed, good call

Membrain
03-02-2008, 06:39 PM
I thought the same thing about the Chrysler! You can’t even see the lug nuts on the tires??? Funny how the back ground is fuzzy!? However, it looks like you can make out the person taking the photo in the reflection in the door? That’s odd if it’s a toy!? It looks like a scene from Godzilla!

zegm
03-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Uppppps!

Hey did I tell everyone I will be a Moomba owner soon!!!!!

Sled491
03-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Don't worry Z you're all good, I'll vouch for ya 8)

ian ashton
03-02-2008, 07:55 PM
why is a home loan officer conducting demographic polls on a Skiers Choice forum?

knock it off.

If anyone wants such info from us owners, it would be Skiers Choice and I don't ever see Michael Littman, et al on here asking such questions.

If you want to have some validity to your research, tell us all about your immeditae plans to purchase a Moomba or a Supra.

Relax, this is a community, I was just trying to get to know my neighbors. You're 100% right, I don't own a boat, yet. I did make a thread talking about my immediate plans to purchase a Moomba or Supra, seen here (http://www2.snapfish.com/share/p=99021204472667125/l=356062748/g=36155731/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB). Just looking too see what other common threads we all share.

ian ashton
03-02-2008, 08:01 PM
it's not odd, it's his job.

Don't give out such personnal info to some stranger who happens to have a keyboard and internet access...and no boat.

Why does the photo of the Chrysler look like a 1/24 scale plastic car model?

I blurred the background because I took the picture in my driveway, which leads to my garage, which at any given time has 1 to 3 Honda's in it. In the Metro-Detroit area there has been a 2 or 3 year rash of scumbags stealing modified Honda's, and I don't want to give a theif a map to their next pay-day.

Honestly, just trying to get to know everyone. Most of the car forums I frequent have threads like 'What do you drive', 'What do you do for a living', 'What do you look like', 'Whats your favorite drink', etc. No hidden agenda. :roll: I'm certainly not trying to solicit business here, just looking to educate myself about my next major purchase.

If you'd like to check up on me you can call the guys at Club Royale, I spoke with them at the Detroit boat show, and was in their show room on Wednesday getting ed-u-ma-cated on the questions I have about the different boats. Currently trying to decide between a '07 Supra Launch, '08 Mobuis LS, or '08 Outback (dad's choice, not mine...)

ian ashton
03-02-2008, 08:06 PM
I thought the same thing about the Chrysler! You can’t even see the lug nuts on the tires??? Funny how the back ground is fuzzy!? However, it looks like you can make out the person taking the photo in the reflection in the door? That’s odd if it’s a toy!? It looks like a scene from Godzilla!

The wheels have center-caps, so the lugs aren't exposed. That is my reflection in the paint taking the picture, lol.

This is what I look like on the other side of the camera (with my girlfriend of 6 years, Jessica.)
http://faguba.com/gallery/albums/userpics/normal_P1251346.JPG

04OUTBACK
03-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Ed, the photo does look funny, but look closer and you see a reflection of a tree and the person taking the pic.. I am guessing the Pic is taken with a fisheye lens or some fancy photo skillz..

'05 Tahoe - Factory suspension, factory wheels, factory everything
'07 Acura TL- Yeah, All original, no mods, no upgrades...

ian ashton
03-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Ed, the photo does look funny, but look closer and you see a reflection of a tree and the person taking the pic.. I am guessing the Pic is taken with a fisheye lens or some fancy photo skillz..

'05 Tahoe - Factory suspension, factory wheels, factory everything
'07 Acura TL- Yeah, All original, no mods, no upgrades...

:lol: 2 posts above yours I explained the funky-ness of the pic. Its the only one I have of the car lowered because the weather has been so terrible here.

In other news, I really like the TL's, it was one of the cars I was considering in December when I got my 300.

zabooda
03-02-2008, 09:06 PM
What is your intent in starting strings that has nothing to do with Moombas and only with materialistic ideas. I feel like I'm at a high school reunion. Lose the materialistic thought process and you'll go a lot farther with people. You may not have learned that you can lose you stuff as fast as you earned it or borrowed it. You get to an age when you see people passing away and others who can no longer physically do the stuff that we do on the water and you have to be thankful just for being able to continue to carry on. Instead of asking about jobs and cars maybe ask about how people volunteer their time. I find that more worthwhile. Ian, I will stop talking bad about your ideas if you give Ed a good donation for the Jamboree. Just kidding, I'll still talk bad about you.

ian ashton
03-02-2008, 09:17 PM
:lol: I don't know what the Jamboree is?

I'm asking about materialistic things because that is likely what we will all have most in common, its all some form of motorsports. Since I don't have any kids (yet) I can't relate to that stuff, lol. I do however plan to buy my boat with my dad, so it will definately be another good thing for him and I to do, father/son style.

Membrain
03-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Hey Ian…does your girlfriend have a sister!? HAHA…just kidding.

ian ashton
03-02-2008, 09:38 PM
She has 2, lol.

She doesn't really look like her sisters, but she and her cousin could be twins, haha.

zegm
03-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Ian,

I suggest you take a long look at the Mobius LS. Ok I am bias I ordered one and it will be here in a couple of weeks.

Looks like you autocross! Did that for 10 years in the SCCA! Might suggest you try a real car next time! OK I am bias if it doesn't say BMW well it aint real! :lol:

zegm
03-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Uppps again,
Jags are good too!
As well as Chevy trucks!

ian ashton
03-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Ian,

I suggest you take a long look at the Mobius LS. Ok I am bias I ordered one and it will be here in a couple of weeks.

Looks like you autocross! Did that for 10 years in the SCCA! Might suggest you try a real car next time! OK I am bias if it doesn't say BMW well it aint real! :lol:

Its basically a race between the Mobius and the Launch, which are essentailly the same boat, from what I understand. The Launch is a leftover '07, so the price is comprable to what I'll pay for an '08 Mobius, but with the Supra I'll get a bit nicer interior, and PerfectPass. I do like the idea of an all solid blue Mobius though. Welcome to my mental dilema!!!

:lol: @ the autocross comments!

I am an SCCA member, but the chapter around here suuucks. Their events are terribly organized, so we generally go to local level events and have tons more fun. Any time I can autocross in the morning and head straight to the lake afterwards, that my friend is a hell of a day!

I'm also a huge bimmer fan (I'm on bimmerfest as well) and one day I'd love to swap out the Honda's for a e36 M3

zegm
03-02-2008, 10:04 PM
We ordered a solid brittnany blue LS with the simple block Moomba. It basically looks like the pictures on this site of the LSV. And we also ordered the Z-cargo bimini. The interior is perfect for us, our boat is a very old MasterCraft and this is such an upgrade for us. I don't care to spend that much more money something that is really not that functional. But again you are paying the same price. M3's are OK but I have 2 kids, an e39 M5 would fit my bill!

bobwells
03-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Ian, it does appear money/material is how you rate yours and others success. Probally how you were raised so this is what you believe matters. I have seen some very wealthy people live some very "hollow" lives. Money doesnt make the man. Character, compassion, and integrity weigh for beyond $$$'s in my eyes and most peoples. I am thrilled for you that your succesful materially, but money isnt something to be proud of... it can go & come quickly , maybe like a buddy of mine, he said "I earned my money the old fashion way, I inherited it !"
Read Ecclesiastes, It was written by the wealthiest, wisest man to ever live, King Solomon, he said there was nothing his eyes desired that he did not have... but found that all was in vain... I'm glad your here with us, I hope and I'm sure you will in no time at all have a boat, I'm sure money wont be a problem ! but I can promise you this, once you have and hold a child which God has blessed you with other things seem to take a back seat(or should) you will come to know an entire different level of love you have never experienced. Ian will have to take a back seat... or should. There are some of the most friendly and helpful people on here that you could desire to meet, not one time has one of them snuffed me cause I got a '98 boat which I was thrilled to get nor seemed to give one iota how much I made, what I was worth, or that I had to do most all the work on my boat cause I cant afford a mechanic. They were all just very willing to offer experience, knowledge and help. They will be thrilled to do this for you as I will also. we are not "material girls in a material world", really dont matter to me if you make 10 mill a year or 10k I look a little deeper than that as many here do. Enjoy your new friends, and keep your checkbook in your pocket we dont charge ! May God continue to Bless you financially but most of all Spiritually !

p.s. I drive a '97 Suburban with about 230K + miles, I got my 16 yr. old boy an '87 Bronco I bought for $500 & we restored it together and He LOVES it... I'll show you some REAL TREASURES take a look at these! I wouldnt trade places with another man alive, and if I got any happier I dont think I could hardly stand it! I have found MY "sweetspot" in life and praise God for it!
www.xmoomba98.com sorry if it sounds like I'm "preaching" thats what I do... you got a friend in Nth. Fl. bob wells a changed man :wink:
it !

ian ashton
03-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Yea, that is the exact boat I would order, minus the Z-cargo. What options did you get? If thats what I end up going with I'd like to get the Jump Seat, Bow Filler Cushion, and Heater.

Sled491
03-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Bob well spoken, and man that kid of yours can ride 8)

Membrain
03-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Hey bobwells,

Just to add some things…My son & I started out wakeboarding with me pulling him on a ’96 XP Seadoo. We would work ourselves in the mix of HIGH End wakeboard boats like we owned the joint! We’re not proud! We finally got an ’87 Glastron fish & ski, which I had a three ft. ski tri-pod mounted in it.

We went to Home Dept and purchased four bags of Sackrete concrete mix and placed them at the back of the boat. This poor thing had a 100 HP out board Evenrude. I told everybody that we had a hillbilly ballast system! I would have to stand up when I was trying to pull my kid up on the board, just to see over the bow of the boat! We almost sunk it once!!! My son learned to flip on that boat the day before going back to NM for the winter to his mom’s. Something to look forward to the next summer!!! He told me that last day that this boat was a blessing! The following year we purchased our ’04 LS new, and it was like Manna from HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!! Little did I realize that my son would outgrow that little boat before the first summer was over!!!!

God continues to bless our family, which I am thankful, because we will be getting our new ’08 XLV GG in about two weeks, as soon as the dealership gets the stereo system installed from out of our ’04 LS!

My son drove an old ’91 Mitsubishi pick-up truck that must have had over 200K on the thing! No AC, power steering, or anything! He finally asked me last year if we could afford to get him something with AC. How can you say no to your child, especially in the Texas summers!?!?!?!

Long-story-short, my son now has an ’03 Nissan 4-door pickup with all the amenities, that he is paying for himself! God is good! I had to cosign though. I also drive an ’03, but it’s a Dodge 4-door Cummins! 4X4. I gotta have something to pull that ’08… right??? It now has almost 160K on it! And yes, my kid is now living with me here in TX! That’s the real blessing!!!

kaneboats
03-02-2008, 11:00 PM
I drive an '01 Suburban that will haul my wife, me and our 6 kids. No, we don't have any money and we barely got into the '00 Outback this year. We're doing all the work ourselves except I have a guy sewing some covers for me. But, we're doing it together. Glad to be part of the family here. Obviously, family's pretty important to us. Thanks everyone and God bless!

ian ashton
03-02-2008, 11:09 PM
I think you guys are reading into this a little too deeply. I'm not a big baller, I just like cars, and thought maybe someone on here would too. I don't judge anyone by what they drive, wear, or own. I lived in a 550 sq ft 2 bed room apartment with my dad, step-mom, and step-sister until I was 18 and moved out for college. Since that time I finished college and got a job that allows me the ability to afford various luxories, and I am very grateful for that. Again, this boat is going to be yet another thing that my father and I will share, a tool to bind I guess you could call it. He is my autocross co-driver as well. My girlfriend, Jessica, is also excited about the prospect of owning a boat, as she can't wait to get up on the wakeboard (She was too embarassed to try last summer when we were on my buddies boat, silly girls.)

I had originally planned on getting a much bigger boat, but decided to scale it back to help my dad buy his 'dream boat' (I just have to help him figure out exactly what that is, lol.)

The sole purpose of me making posts about what people own/do for a living was just to see if there was anyone on here with similar occupation/cars/etc.

jmvotto
03-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Bob, ditto on the comments.
saw the pics your son can definitely turn some heads.

I been veiwing this BB for sometime and joined last month, what a great bunch of people who truly love watersports and quality boats. They have given great opinions, pics, comments to myself and others that have been very helpful with decisions on getting into or upgrading or maintaining these boats. Your can't buy this type of experience...

I have two chevy's, My wife I and I have three kids and three Labs, one we rescued. We have been rescuing Labs for about a year and have saved 9 from the death chambers from GA, KY & OH and put them into their forever homes.

My greatest water experience last season, was not about stuff, it was teaching my twin 9 yr old daughters how to water ski. (priceless) as I dragged in the water half way across the lake fall after fall.

Ian, welcome to the board if you truly here for the moomba boating community.

JV

kaneboats
03-02-2008, 11:45 PM
No need to get defensive. I think everybody understands what you were trying to do. Just like at a cocktail party, sometimes the smalltalk stuff helps you better understand who you are talking to.

I've always been a car guy, especially a ragtop guy. Our "toy" probably isn't very special to anybody else; it's a '96 Mustang convertible. My Dad helped me put a new top on it last year in my garage. It was one of the most gratifying things I've ever done. With 6 kids, my wife likes to just get in it, drop the top, and go for a ride . . . alone!

How do you think we did on our install?

http://home.comcast.net/~pbiggins/Mustang1.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~pbiggins/Mustang2.JPG

davidl
03-02-2008, 11:56 PM
I to am a car guy, I am not the least offended by the post. I have been building street rods for years. Showed a few and enjoyed driving them as well. I guess you have to take it with a grain of salt there will always be someone to judge you without the facts. I look forward to you purchasing a new skiers choice boat and being a part of the blog. Keep it real !
Shout out to my brothers and sisters in arms!!!!!

ian ashton
03-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Looks very good! My dad and I built the majority of the silver CRX, with the exception of the body/paint work that we had done by a shop. Its definately an amazing feeling when you finish a project like that and roll it outside to see how nice it looks.

Every time I see a car with a white top I imagine it needing to be replaced frequently, they look so good, but seem very fragile as well!

zegm
03-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Ian,

You have to have sun protection in Florida so why not get one that stores all those things you bring like the z-cargo. You don't need a heater here! We got the jump seat but not the bow filler cushion. If someone needs to sleep we will just come home, luckily the dock is in the back yard.

lanceswake
03-03-2008, 01:55 PM
bobwells

Nicely stated!

zegm
03-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Well I think Ian is a good kid! We just have to explain the differences between hard water as Sled calls it and Florida water. Between big green lizards and ......well I don't think they have anything like those up there. Between our winterizing (putting it in the front yard for 3 months) and his. Why you need a bimini top here and why it would probably be nice NOT to have one up there. How ...to cool off in the summer here you need to dive to at least 8 feet deep in the lake to find cool water vs. just getting in the water there. And to know that Yes it is normal that every house here has at least one boat under a blue trap in the driveway if not two as that is required by law to live here! :wink:

JoeTechie
03-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Dog is good , all praide Dog.

Damn dislexia. Screw it I'm and atheist anyway.

Ian - Enjoy your time here - don't let scary ol' Ed rile you. He is just looking out for everyone - he takes on the 'papa bear' role around here.

We are all wary of outsiders using this forum for their own benefit - it has happened at least 3 times since I've been here. All good though.

Oh, I drive and haul with this:
http://www.joetechie.net/ml500.jpg

-Joe

zegm
03-03-2008, 10:56 PM
JoeT.

No pictures???

And did you see the post last week that had cell phones for sale?

And I am sure when the weather gets a little better we will focus more on what Moomba stands for. However we all seem to be having a good time lately with whatever pops up. I mean I have to keep my mind busy, they started our boat last Tuesday and I have NO information about it or when it will be ready!!! Can't wait!!!!! And I won't sell the MasterCraft until she shows up just in case, we would hate to be without a skiboat. Have had one ever since 1985!
You up for the Chicken Wing Jamboree in PC? :lol:

JoeTechie
03-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Picture at the bottom of my post. Does it not show for you ?

zegm
03-03-2008, 11:24 PM
It did this time but not the first time! So you drive an Alabama car?
I set up the front brake pad assemble line for the W134! Before I started working with the US Navy I was a manufacturing engineer here at Honeywell/Bendix. The name of the Honeywell brake pad company in Germany is called Jurid. They did the sales and testing ground work with Mecedes and sold them a compound for the ATE/Continental brake caliber company (all Germany cars use ATE calibers). The Germans (Jurid/Honeywell Germany) then came over here and with their help we set up the production line here. The ATE calilbers are made in South Carolina and we made the pads and sent them there where they were installed in the Calibers and then shipped to Tuscalusa. Then Honeywell got out of the brake business in the US (so the line went back to Jurid in Germany) and I had to find a job as a mine warfare engineer. Again I was hired because I have worked with Germans for many years. The US Navy uses a weapon built in Bremen. Before that I worked in Atlanta with IWKA (a German owned company ...Industrial Works Karlsrule) where we made exhaust components for Chrysler and GM. It has Nothing to do with the fact I love BMWs!!!

jmvotto
03-03-2008, 11:42 PM
You up for the Chicken Wing Jamboree in PC? :lol:

I'm in for a Wing Jam.. You guys are killng me down south, first Sled and B eating wings In NC, Now a Wing Fest In FL. :shock:

Only decent wings I've had south of PA were at the Ole Owl In FT Lauderdale, the wings were small and so were the shirts. :lol:

Share some recipes... Not much to do up North But ski, drink beer and eat. Not like I'd put the boat in the water and ski around the Ice(yearround). Hats off to the man with the steel cohones..

zegm
03-04-2008, 12:04 AM
Image a restaurant that sits out over the beach. The only problem this time of year is you can't see the water. There are a zillion college kids running around blocking the view! But thats OK! 8)

jmvotto
03-04-2008, 12:18 AM
The family is traveling to SW florida to see the folks in April , rather seethe hot bods from the college kids, then having to line up at for in the afternoon for dinner for the blue light special:lol: Not sure i will find the Ole Owl on the Island....... :wink: