PDA

View Full Version : New starter

TexTgrTed
08-16-2003, 10:48 PM
Need to replace starter on my '99 Outback...Indmar says dealer is the only place to get one. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

lowdrag
08-17-2003, 07:40 AM
Just pull it off and take it to an auto parts store like NAPA. I'm sure they'd be able to find one to match it.

batman1171
08-17-2003, 04:02 PM
I would take it off and take it to a place that rebuilds starters. Have them fix your unit so you keep your original housings. That way you are assured of a starter that will fit right. If you get another starter you run the risk of the front housing being off a little, which can create a nasty sound while starting. Also be sure they use a new heavy duty solenoid and not a cheap rebuilt one. It will cost more, but it is well worth the money. There are also cheaper new solenoids, but get the heavy duty.
________
vaporgenie (http://vaporizers.net/vapor-genie)

Brian Raymond
08-17-2003, 06:05 PM
DO NOT INSTALL an automotive replacement starter, yes it may be cheaper, but there is a reason, same goes for carbs. The starter is a marine approved SAEJ1171 starter, it will not emit sparks, and is built for the marine environment, and is Coast Gaurd approved, without an original replacement(or rebuild), you are now held liable for any issues that may be related to it. I have personnally witnessed a automotive starter mishap on a '67 restored to the hilt Correct Craft, luckily it blew the 2 girls out of the boat with little injury, the boat was totaled. You can probably purchace a starter directly through Indmar(www.indmar.com). Hope this helps. Brian Raymond

TexTgrTed
10-05-2003, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the advice, Brian.

The local DFW dealer (Waterski Boats Dallas) pulled the starter & had it rebuilt--runs just like new.

TexTgrTed
10-05-2003, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the advice, Brian.

The local DFW dealer (Waterski Boats Dallas) pulled the starter & had it rebuilt--runs just like new.