PDA

View Full Version : LS and wakeplates

Garn
02-29-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm looking at buy a 2007 Mobius LS - with the engine in the middle of the boat. It has a wakeplate but it is NOT the hydraulic wakeplate. How important is that? My main purpose for the boat is for skiing - not boarding. Is this boat known for porpoiseing?

Thank you,

Garn

JoeTechie
02-29-2008, 05:22 PM
All '06-'08 LS hulls are the same - Outback, or Mobius, LS or LSV. The V-Drives are obviuosly weighted differently and therefore porpoise more, but since this is a WAKEBOARD hull, it has a stepped convex rear that actually sucks the stern into the water creating a wake. Without a wakeplate, the boat is prone to porpoising. If you want a flat wake, then you need one. The basic non-hydraulic plate (this is new for 07/08 I think) is simply a plastic extension that creates some level of opposition to the stepped rear, like 1/2 of a hydraulic plate set at 75% (flat) permanently. I'd prefer the hydraulic, but as I've never ridden in an LS with this, I cannot say i have a point of comparrison. My LSV never rides above 20MPH without the plate down 80%. Below that I'm probably pulling a wakesurfer, wakeboarder, tuber, etc, and I want the wake.

Hope this helps,

Joe

sar
02-29-2008, 06:08 PM
The stock plate is a metal tab off the back of the boat. It is not as big as the wake plate, and is obviously not adjustable. I would be willing to bet that this plate is set up to provide a slalom type wake, as in the same effect as a hydraulic wake plate all the way down - the moomba outback has this as well. Getting the hyrdaulic plate would probably require a little less ballast in the boat.

h2oskierrick
03-01-2008, 12:31 AM
I have the same boat except as the Mobius LS. I too prefer to ski than board. In my opinion, the wake plate on this boat is a must. Mine has the hydraulic plate wich works well. My guess is the stationary plate is pre set for the best ski wake. By the way, my boat skiis best at 32-34 MPH. Hope this helps. Enjoy.