PDA

View Full Version : single or tandem axle on?

lanceswake
02-29-2008, 12:54 AM
Tandem axle trailer a must for the '08 LSV? Single axle trailer tongue heavy? I know the tandem axle is the better way to go, I'm just curious cuz the single axle sure would be a whole lot easier for tryin to maneauver it into my garage.

04OUTBACK
02-29-2008, 12:20 PM
I have single axle on 06 lsv. Tows fine, would tow better with double..
If you tow a long way often, definitely go dbl... if you have a short tow, stick with single.

ajmoritz17
02-29-2008, 01:08 PM
my o8 lsv came with a single but i will be doing alot of long distance trailoring would love work out a trade with someone on a tandem......
________
hotels in mexico (http://mexicohoteles.org)

lanceswake
02-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Yeah I'm kinda torn myself. I will occasionally travel far to a lake, but not very often. Mainly just area lakes that are pretty close. I'm thinkin the single will be easier to squeeze into my garage. Plus the tandem is an $1100 upgrade...ugh!

lanceswake
02-29-2008, 08:14 PM
ajmoritz

Is your LSV tongue heavy at all or is it balanced pretty good?

ajmoritz17
03-03-2008, 10:56 AM
lance

To be honest with you i havent even picked it up yet, just figured the tandem would be better for the amount of towing i'll be doing
________
herbal health (http://herbalhealthshop.com)

Buttafewcoe
03-03-2008, 11:26 AM
My single axle is pretty heavy, in the 200# range. Although, to be perfectly honest, I haven't weighed it. I do know I can't lift it by myself w/o some serious straining. And I'm to friggin' old for it anyway.
B

Miller_Time
03-03-2008, 12:44 PM
We the tandem axle with out boat because they trailer so nicely, backing it is a dream, and i like the added safely of the extra set of wheels and brakes.

tazz3069
03-05-2008, 12:35 AM
I have the tandem axle trailer. I really like it. It make it much easier to back the trailer up. I had a single axle trailer on a different boat and it made it very snappy when backing up. What I mean is, the trailer moves much quicker and less forgiving than the tandem axle. Plus the brakes are nice. My $0.02
Tazz

lanceswake
03-05-2008, 01:38 AM
tazz

I agree. I think there's more positives with the tandem, but I can't really stretch my wallet any more. I'd rather stick with the single so I don't have to sacrifice other upgrades like ballast, PP, tower speakers, etc.... Tough call though. Most lakes I go to are pretty close.

tazz3069
03-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Lance--
I am sure you made the right choice. The upgrade are nice as well. I got lucky when I bought my boat. It came with every upgrade except for Perfect Pass and Tower Speakers. I really didn't care about the upgrade Stereo. I am doing that my self. I need to finish because the weather is getting nice outside.

zegm
03-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Lance,
We ordered the boat with single axle for the basically the same reasons as you, cost, ease of manuevering in tight spots and the lake is actually in the back yard with the ramp 3 houses away. My big boat rides on tandems and the sound the rear tire (on the rear axle) makes when you turn hard is hard on the soul and can't be good on the tire. It takes power to overcome the rolling resistance of those tandems, something you won't do in your garage by yourself ! If I was going to tow far I would consider it, you just have to inspect the single axle a little more but you should be fine. Also, light aircraft, single engine versus twins, there were always an arguement, well if I have two engines I might get home, yeah but now you have twice as many chances for things to go wrong!