PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Windshield Adjustment....

AaronWhitt82
02-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Hey guys I have a question about doing an adjustment on the windshield (if possible.)
I'm not sure what would have caused this..... Last year I never felt like messing with it, but I figured I better get it fixed this Spring when I get her out of storage.

The middle part of the window that opens and closes (to allow access to the bow area) is out of adjustment.
As most of you know the window has like an aluminum flap or whatever you want to call it that when closed it overlaps onto the aluminum frame of the other window and then there is tabs underneath that lock it in place.
The lower part of it overlaps perfectly onto the other part of the window when it is closed.
The problem is towards the top.... When the window is fully closed the top part just barely overlaps to the other window. I can't even get the lock tab underneath because it has pulled too far away from it. When I tow the boat from hitting bumps and whatnot it will actually fall in between each other and then I have to yank it back up and it was starting to bend the aluminum flap part. I don't want to end up breaking the glass or doing any other damage.
Just wondering if anyone else had a problem like this and if there is anything I can loosen up and adjust to make the top part completely overlap the other window?

Thanks in advance,
Aaron

BensonWdby
02-27-2008, 01:30 AM
I have a 99 Mobius and the problem appears to be pretty common. In fact it is that very problem that brought me to this message board a few years ago.
I bought my boat from a private party with 30 hours on it and the problem was already evident. I had the original dealer remount the windshield, but since I was not original owner it cost me $400.

I reoccured within a year. I have not fixed it since and it has pretty much stabilized.

Skiers Choice has been generally good about helping boat owners with problems, but they have been pretty quiet on this every time it surfaces on this board.

The general opinion is that the hull is flexing/spreading (open bow is just not solid enough). I think if you search the board for windshield issues realted to hull flex you may find where someone actually measured it.

It is annoying, but not fatal. I woul dnot worry about it..
Dave

zabooda
02-27-2008, 01:31 AM
The 99 was one of those years that had the windshield that would get out of alignment. My 98 did that many times before I added a metal screw on the top frame of the port side. The frame wants to pivot and you may see the glass and rubber seperate from the frame. The added screw keeps the frame from pivoting. Also, make sure the supports on the dash haven't loosened up. I lost a screw on the lower frame before and they're a pain to put back in as the frame was assembled before it was attached to the boat and I haven't found a screwdriver that will fit in that low of a spot so I used needle-noosed Vice Grips to tighten it down. I also trailer with the windshield closed and if I start hitting rough water that pounds the boat I close the windshield and I haven't had any more issues. Good luck.

AaronWhitt82
02-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the reply's guys I appreciate it.
So basically there isn't much I can do with it? It's not that big of a deal to me, but I'm not sure if it's going to pivot and more anymore than what it has now. If it does move more then it will definately cause problems because the top part won't even touch the other side then. I just don't want the glass to break.

I'll also check all the screws and make sure nothing is loose.

Zabooda - Where did you put the screw in at? In the middle of the frame or towards the far end by the center window?

Thanks

Sled491
02-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Sometimes the supports on each side of the opening can be adjusted to help with window alignemt. My 07 went out of alignment last summer and could not get back to new but got pretty close with adjusting the 2 uprights. I don't know, maybe :?

zabooda
02-28-2008, 08:47 PM
I put the screw next to the regular mounting screw as there isn't much room to work with. The second screw just limits any pivoting so it can be placed on the frame where it won't interfere with the glass but still secure to the side frame. Be sure to take the top frame off and align the glass and frame to where you like it and replace the top frame, tighten everything down and then drill the hole for the screw. The screw I used was smaller than the regular mounting screw and matches the color so you don't even notice it. Before I did this fix, I was putting the windshield together after any rough day on the water. If I didn't have the boat all wrapped up, I would get a picture for you but I got a 2006 picture off ebay showing about the same type of frame. I made a futile attempt to mark in black the location of the screw. Hope it works.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii210/zabooda/demopic.jpg

AaronWhitt82
02-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Zabooda - Thanks much for the picture. Definately helps alot. Soon as I can get her out of storage I'll see what I can do to get it realigned......

Aaron