PDA

View Full Version : SCMARKETING / Skiers Choice-- Please Chime In

SanMarzano
02-26-2008, 12:33 AM
So I pulled out my ski locker bag today because I noticed water in there. Must have been in there a long time cause it was all slimy (grant it the only time I took this boat out was with the dealer and the boat had 3 hours on it). I didnt fill the bags up when I went out with the dealer cause the river was dirty as heck but they must have been filled in the past because there was water in it. Also the Oring on the bag was all messed up so maybe that is the water that leaked. Anyway when I pulled out the bag I saw this....

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/jg440/CIMG0776.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/jg440/CIMG0774.jpg

Is it me or does that look like two patches...... Do you think my boat was damaged and then repaired............Or is this the way ski lockers look? Geeze there are gouges into the glass. Skiers Choice Please let me know.

davidl
02-26-2008, 01:39 AM
WoW, You Have a Point

02-26-2008, 03:03 AM
Did you buy it new or used? Private or a dealer?

SanMarzano
02-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Bought new from a moomba dealer. 07 stock about 3 weeks ago

hiqualityH2O
02-26-2008, 11:52 AM
We had the same problem (07 LSV) - apparently the drain hole is located too high. To fix (per this board) you can either drill a lower hole or plug the drains to prevent bilge water from getting in. Or do what I do and wipe it out regularly. As far as the patches go, ours does not look like that.

SanMarzano
02-26-2008, 12:37 PM
H20 Thanks

Update now that I looked in the light there are 3 patches......Who should I contact at skiers choice?

llxlv
02-26-2008, 02:22 PM
You should have contacted your dealer before making a post like this.

SanMarzano
02-26-2008, 02:52 PM
I see no wrong for makeing a post like this. This community was set up to gather information. For all I know those could be access holes during the boat build process but from what people said I dont think so. Id rather get my ducks in a row before I travel 2 hours to the dealer

zegm
02-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Is this actually the inner surface of the hull or a seperate mold that sits above the hull?

SanMarzano
02-26-2008, 04:16 PM
I think a mold but Im not sure

zegm
02-26-2008, 07:53 PM
If this is NOT the hull surface and they repaired or reworked a seperate mold then I see no reason to worry about it. If it performs the same funtion and is just as structurally strong it should not be a concern. Granted it might be a appearance issue but not one that I would worry about. I would be much more concerned if there was cracked fiberglass or a hole actually in it. But since it is doing the job it was designed to do then really besides appearance what else could be the issue? I have worked as a manufacturing/design engineer in the automotive industry for over 15 years and you would be surprised by the amount of rework that goes on. But remember this also keeps the cost down, otherwise we would all be paying more for our products.

Aquaholic
02-26-2008, 08:21 PM
I have a 2005 XLV and the bottom of my locker looks very similar. I
think that the patches are were they fill the space the that foam stuff. Its
not the hull bottom because it would have a v contour if it were the
bottom. Just call your dealer and they will clear up any concern you
have. If you want the slim to be less of a problem you need get that plastic square interlocking flooring stuff. I have even seen it on playgrounds.
The black mesh stuff in the boat gets crushed by the weight of the bag and does not let the water flow out ....the plastic square is rigid and water will flow under neath and let air circulate. The squares are colored black red, white blue. A cheap solution to a messy problem.

Aqua

zegm
02-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Aquaholic,

You are probably right, this is where they fill the hull with the spray foam. I had a Triumph 12 Center Console a couple of years ago. This boat looks just like an inflatable but is actually made from a indestructable plastic. It had 4 circular patches on the upper hull that looked like they patched some round holes. I asked the dealer about it and because it was a rotomolded hull it was built in one solid piece not two halfs glued together. The dealer told me that was were they filled the hull with the spray foam and then patched the holes.

Sled491
02-26-2008, 09:13 PM
You know, some times a man needs to wear stretchy pants!

I have no idea how that was supposed to help. I've seen this type of patch work before and I'm sure there is no problem as all SC boats are water tested before shipping. With that said, I have heard members say that there delivery was delayed because there boat failed the water test. Point being, that if this was a problem the boat would have failed the QI.

Still couldn't hurt to call your dealer and send him these pics.

And yeah, it's OK to post this stuff and ask questions, that's why we're here 8)

lanceswake
02-26-2008, 10:26 PM
SanMarzano

Hey man I agree with sled491 about the posting. You were absolutely ok in making this post. It's how we all educate ourselves and look out for each other in this community. A true forum shouldn't just be a big scrap book of pics of peeps rides. Yeah it's great to hear, and share, the excitement of people gettin new boats, but it's posts like yours that are the most educational on these products.

JoeTechie
02-27-2008, 02:00 AM
SanMarzano

I believe the problem with this post is not the content, or the very valid question about what you precieve to be a real problem with a new boat, but rather your direction of the post. If you buy a new Ford Mustang, and find out 3 days into using it, that the brakes squeal or the brake rotors are rusty, or even the radiator leaks... all very valid problems with new cars... you would not contact Ford Motor company in Detroit expecting they are the closeset and best resolution to such a simple problem. You would contact your dealer - the one who took that nice big check from you only a few days earlier. The one who has the quickest access to any needed repairs, and the one who will fix it under warranty since no product only a few days old is out of warranty or going to be made a hassle for a new buyer !!!

If after dealing with your dealer and getting no satisfaction, then contacting SC via phone or email directly is absolutly your best bet - they are amazingly attentive to customers.

Just thought I'd get that out there.

OH... the thing you are looking at...

It's actually the Stringer system for the boat. Skiers Choice has the coolest construction... ratehr than using the old wood or alum. stringers - they have a complete composite "insert" that actually creates a much more rigid but much lighter frame to the hull shell. It also doubles (quadruples really) - as the air ventilation system, the ice chest and /or ski locker, and the piping and wireing harness truck !!!

Looks like this:

http://www.wakeworld.com/wwimages/galleries/2004/SC/100.jpg for the LS series or this:
http://www.wakeworld.com/wwimages/galleries/2004/SC/90.jpg for the base outback.

It's fibeglass and poly composite, and sometimes needs some roughing up to glue or patching, or sometimes the resin drips and they wipe it off and it leaves residue. I'd still triple check w/ your dealer next time you see them (at the 15-20 hour mark we hope). And show them.

Hope this helps,

Joe

p.s. Welcome to the Moomba family - as you see - we are all about giving our voice to a problem.

SanMarzano
02-27-2008, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the Issue. I am in contacts with the dealer and they are in contact with SC to see what the issue is.

Cool Pics Where did you get them?

goose
02-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Hello, I am Matt Brown and the product manager for Skiers Choice. This thread was forwarded to me internally and I thought I would reply to the questions that were raised. As several others said, this is part of the stringer and we purposefully drill holes in this liner so that we can inject foam under the stringer to fill the gap between this liner and the V shaped hull bottom. Multiple holes are drilled so that we get proper expansion of the foam. Once the foam is injected, we refiberglass the holes and then add gel coat to make sure the patch is watertight. The liner is originally a finished part, but because we add the ski locker mesh material to this area we do not finish to a high cosmetice finish. Also, the original finished area has to be sanded to allow the new gelcoat and fiberglass in the patch to adhere properly. Again, we could take more time to finish this to a higher cosmetic finish but it would add more cost to the boat and originally we did not feel that was an added value to the customer. I am sure this post will bring up questions internally but at this time, that is how we do it and that is why it looks like it does.

I will also state that we do enjoy receiving all feedback on these posts, good and bad. There were some very good comments about contacting your local dealer about issues because they are the main contact with actual consumers but we are always eager to hear feedback from the market. Hopefully it helps us design and manufacture better boats.

Thanks.

hiqualityH2O
02-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Wow I'm impressed by SCs feedback on this and Joe those are great pictures!

Thanks!

Sled491
02-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Wow, great pics from Joe and great feedback from SC.

About the strethcy pants I'm not so sure 8)

hiqualityH2O
02-27-2008, 08:13 PM
I wanna see Sleds wife in stretchy pants!

Sled491
02-27-2008, 08:16 PM
You and me both, I've been on the road since November and have only been home like 2 weeks total. One time home was for only 1 night. :cry:

hiqualityH2O
02-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Sorry to hear Sled - traveling is a b*tch. Sure is nice though when you get home!

Sled491
02-27-2008, 08:32 PM
thanks, and your right when you do get home and get through the honey doo list and catch up with everything that piles up, and get a chance to enjoy being home, it makes you want to "GET RIGHT BACK ON THE ROAD" ha ha ha ha ha :lol:

Buttafewcoe
02-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Maybe...but the 'miss you sex' has gotta be great, right?

Sled491
02-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Only if I time it right 8)

moombamania
02-28-2008, 10:36 AM
[quote="JoeTechie"]SanMarzano

"I believe the problem with this post is not the content, or the very valid question about what you precieve to be a real problem with a new boat, but rather your direction of the post. If you buy a new Ford Mustang, and find out 3 days into using it, that the brakes squeal or the brake rotors are rusty, or even the radiator leaks... all very valid problems with new cars... you would not contact Ford Motor company in Detroit"

No I don't believe I would contact Detroit either as San did not call SC. But I would have definately been involved with the Ford sponsored Forum's and would have posted my questions and concerns there to hear from other Mustang owners.

Great feedback from corporate, nice insight.