PDA

View Full Version : 05 mobius lsv/wont start & wont crank

jonmata70
02-25-2008, 10:50 PM
I called the dealer about my boat not starting /cranking at all.it happened last summer, i hit a big wake & the boat just shut off.everything works like the horn,stereo,ballast etc.i checked the main fuse & the fuse by the engine & they are fine.dealer advise me maybe its the ignition swictch coz all my gauges are stuck or my main computer brain.needs advise from you guys or any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,Jon

Membrain
02-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Have you checked the wires up behind your dash that goes to the ignition switch?

jonmata70
02-25-2008, 11:09 PM
yes i did & I replace the igntion switch yesterday & still no luck.

teamctl
02-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Make certain your boat is in neutral. It won't crank otherwise. It sounds simple, but wiggle the throttle control while cranking to make certain.

JesseC
02-25-2008, 11:20 PM
I would start by checking for voltage at the individual components.

Is there twelve volts at the fuel pump when the ignition switch is on?

Is there twelve volts at the starter when the key is turned to the start position?

Is this a EFI or carb engine?

Are there any noises at all coming from the engine compartment when the key is turned?

Almost sounds to me that the Ground at the engine has become disconected. Without a ground on the block, no electronics on the engine will function. I am sorry, but I do not know where the ground for the block would be. I will go downstairs in a little bit and see if I can find it.

Membrain
02-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Do you have a 12-volt test light or an ohmmeter? Have you tried checking to see if there is juice to the starter thru the battery cable to the battery? Check the starter switch wire that is also connected to the battery for proper connection. Did you shake loose a battery cable from the starter hitting that wake? There is another way to check, but really wouldn’t suggest it, since there isn’t much room in the engine compartment, but you can use a screw driver to complete the circuit between the battery cable post on the starter and the switch wire (little blue or black wire) connected just next to the cable on the starter. If you use the screwdriver to short these two together, the motor will try to start if you have enough juice. If not, you got bigger probs! If you don’t know how to do this, get some help!!!

JesseC
02-25-2008, 11:32 PM
Where are you located?

jonmata70
02-26-2008, 12:05 AM
Thank you for all the help.i`ll give it a try one more time & hopefully it will work out.Im from puyallup washington abou 60 mile from seattle.

zegm
02-26-2008, 12:22 AM
I agree with Jessie, sounds like a bad ground or a neutral safety switch!!!

JoeTechie
02-26-2008, 12:37 AM
Possible ???

http://joetechie.com/moomba/safety.jpg

-J

tazz3069
02-26-2008, 09:46 AM
jonmata--- I have experience the same thing. One thing I did notice was loose connections. Under the dash, there are two wire blocks. One for the positive and the other for the negative. The majority of the screw were loose. I had to retighten al the screws and bolts. Check it out. Hope this helps.
Tazz

kaneboats
02-26-2008, 10:24 AM
Joe-- that post reminds me of a time I was in my first 15 ft. Chapparal runabout with the 88 Evinrude. We stopped, picked up our skier and went to move and the boat wouldn't start. I could not, for the life of me, figure out what was wrong. It had been running so good all day. About 20 min or checking everything and then I realized -- one of the kids had popped the lanyard out of the clip but it was still hanging there off the control box cables just where you couldn't notice anything was wrong unless you really looked at it. Should have checked that first -- and I still do.

teamctl
02-27-2008, 08:28 PM
I wasn't trying to be a smarty with the engine in neutral thing! :wink:

I would not have posted that if I hadn't experienced a 15 minute freak-out period on the river.

-Jay

Buttafewcoe
02-27-2008, 08:48 PM
We know you weren't. I've done some pretty dumb arse things mesef. Then the lil lite goes on and the world returns back to normal
B

tazz3069
02-27-2008, 08:49 PM
teamctl--
I had a big scare also on the Lake. It was July 4 at Lake Mead. 122 degrees outside on the water. We skiied and wakeboarded all morning. It was time for lunch. Floating out on the water listening to music, eating a great lunch. 45 min to an hour pass by. Went to start the boat and nothing. The boat was cranking put no fire. We tried for 30 min. I had the engine compartment one trying to see what was wrong. Oh by the way no cell phone service. After about 45 minutes, the boat started up with no problems. We finished our afternoon and had a great time. That weekend, I took the boat back to the dealer so they can find the problem. They could not find anything. Of course. They called Skiers Choice. My dealer explained the problem. The answer was Vapor Lock. Skiiers Choice shipped out a new fuel pump and that fixed the problem. No charge. Now I have two pumps on the boat. They also said that I was the 3rd person that has ever had that problem.
Tazz

jonmata70
05-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Once again thank you for all the help & suggestions.i took my 05 lsv to the shop & the problem of the boat not starting was the main breaker by the battery is faulty & they replace it & now the boat runs like a champ.