PDA

View Full Version : Is there a website with better pics/info on options?

ian ashton
02-25-2008, 10:18 PM
I was at the Detroit boat show this weekend and I think we are about ready to take the plunge, but after reading through the brochure and looking at the website (on top of picking the sales guys brains for quite a while!) I seem to have a lot of questions about various options, and the website isn't very descriptive at all. Is there anything with even just more pictures of the various options?

Any/all help is appreciated!

I'd specifically like to see pics of the under-seat Gravity ballast system (on the Outback), Accent Seat Cushion Rails, Jump Seat (Is this like the rear facing seat behind the drivers seat that comes standard in Supras?), Walk-Thru Screen (Snap in), and Cockpit Cover and Tonneau Cover (Black), Water Strainer (I'm a noob, what is this?)

If you get the Bow Filler Cushion is it solid white, or does it have an accent color on it as well?

Right now we are trying to decide between the Outback or LS, probably going to the dealer later in the week to do more side to side comparissons...

04OUTBACK
02-25-2008, 10:39 PM
That is a weakness. This message board can help though! Underseat gravity I ballast on Outback is a 400lb fat sac. you can fill most of way with seat in place or fully when putting the back seat in the sun deck position.
Not up on the accent seat cushion rails as an option.
Jump Seat fits between spotter seat and driver seat. I have heard that it kinda gets in the way.. no personal experience.
Walk Thru screen keeps wind from blowing in rear cockpit area with windshield closed. I was with a friend on an XStar 2 weeks ago and this was nice.. not a bad option for Michigan! (there are some pics on here of some guys who built their own... search for it)
Cockpit cover/tonneau cover- look around in pride and joy section. This is the 2 pc cover that covers the bow section and windshield back separately... I think folks who store on a covered lift like this more.. I have the full logo cover.. I store on trailer in covered storage shed... I like the 2pc covers but not a fan of all the snaps on the hull..
Water strainer is not a bad option if you have lots of grass/trash in lake.. i prevents junk from going into water intake...

Good luck in your decision.. There are several folks on here who just bought LS's, Outback V's, LSV's and Outbacks. Spend some time reading through most of the sections recent posts.. you'll learn a ton.

also, i think you asked about the bow filler cushion, it will be color matched to your base color (white, sand, etc..) no accent on it.

ian ashton
02-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Thanks for all the info!

Cockpit cover/tonneau cover- look around in pride and joy section. This is the 2 pc cover that covers the bow section and windshield back separately... I think folks who store on a covered lift like this more.. I have the full logo cover.. I store on trailer in covered storage shed... I like the 2pc covers but not a fan of all the snaps on the hull..

I figured this was the case. I think we'll end up getting a snap-on cover color-matched for the bow after the fact, as it would be nice to cover that area up when there isn't anyone up there. I'd like to full logo cover though to cover the boat when we aren't on it.

zegm
02-26-2008, 03:49 PM
We had this problem too but luckily I wrote down all of my issues before I went to the boat show! The best bet is to do a search on this site for all of the items you wanted to see. You will find pictures of just about everything. By the way we wanted a Outback V and ended ordering an LS. It is a very nice DD with a TON of room and the ability to do skiing and wakeboarding and it cost about 500 dollars less than a similiarly equiped Outback V.

YellowMoomba0
02-26-2008, 04:19 PM
A couple of questions:

1. Are you a serious course skiier? If so, the Outback is the better option. But if you like to ski and prefer the room then I suppose the LS is the better option. That needs to be a serious decision. At times we load our Outback with quite a bit of stuff and have learned how to manage. Others though would rather not go through all that.

2. Will you ever store the boat in the water, for a week or so? If so then the snap cover is a lot better than trying to put the full cover on at the dock. After the fact is never as good as getting it at the factory. Or on one out of inventory.

Definately check out the pride and joy section of this board to see various pics of other's boats.

If your getting a Moomba, you really cant go wrong.

ian ashton
02-26-2008, 04:37 PM
A couple of questions:

1. Are you a serious course skiier? If so, the Outback is the better option. But if you like to ski and prefer the room then I suppose the LS is the better option. That needs to be a serious decision. At times we load our Outback with quite a bit of stuff and have learned how to manage. Others though would rather not go through all that.

2. Will you ever store the boat in the water, for a week or so? If so then the snap cover is a lot better than trying to put the full cover on at the dock. After the fact is never as good as getting it at the factory. Or on one out of inventory.

Definately check out the pride and joy section of this board to see various pics of other's boats.

If your getting a Moomba, you really cant go wrong.

1. I don't ski at all. I'm actually buying this boat with my dad, who used to ski decades ago. He decided he really wants a ski boat again, and I'd like to help him fulfill that dream, lol. I wakeboard alot, and after riding behind a 23' Yamaha jet boat all summer I've got to believe a DD Moomba with some ballast will be much better, lol.

2. I'm actually planning to keep it in a slip quite a bit. With the Yamaha we have a full cover that ratchets on, its a little tricky to put on when the boat is in the water, but its not too bad and it keeps things nice and clean. Like I said I'd like to get both covers, but I'd like for the snap-on cover to match the boat, rather than just being black.

Is the Snap-In windscreen made from the same black canvas as the covers? If so I'd also just assume have one custom made that matches the colors of the boat (which also haven't been decided yet, lol.) I'm getting very anxious to head to the dealer! Thank god we got dumped with snow this morning here in Michigan, I can use snowboarding to keep my mind off the water!

04OUTBACK
02-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Based on your comments, go LS. You'll both be happier..
There is a post from this weekend of someone who just bought an LS and you can see his ski speed wake, and he has his wakeplate up. Down will make it flatter.
I had an 04 outback, and was a great boat. I have moved to LSV and love it. The room and storage is unbelieveable. We don't ski at all though...

lanceswake
02-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Hey man I'd go with the LS atleast. I've got an Outback that I bought new in '05, which has been a great boat, but I'm getting ready to trade it in for an '08 LSV. I thought about the Outback V cuz I really want a V-drive & it can still squeeze in the garage. I have to say one of the biggest selling points for me is the larger diameter tubing on the tower. Once you throw on some speakers & a few boards in the racks it can get a little shaky when crossing the lake. You will not get the stronger tower on the Outback or Outback V.

zegm
02-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Look up BamBam, he took the pictures of his wake on his LS. The good thing about the LS is it is the best boat for doing both, because it is a Mobius it comes with tower and ballast but it is also a DD so it might not go through a course like an Outback and it might not have the largest wake like a V but it is the best at doing both! And once you sit in it and see all of the room you will like that too.

ian ashton
02-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks for all the input. I'm also leaning towards the LS, but dad wants the smaller Outback. After adding the options that we want to an Outback there is only a few thousand dollars difference between that and the LS, and the LS is available with a completely solid colored hull, which I like (especially the all blue!)

zegm
02-27-2008, 06:17 PM
The one thing we really liked when we sat in the LS during the boat show is the fact that it is a deeper hull and more freeboard so when you sit in the seats they sit a little higher off the floor and the backs are higher and it just felt better. It was just a more comfortable boat, tell your father that I am sure he would appreciate that fact!

ian ashton
02-28-2008, 12:40 AM
We also sat in both; he is a ski-er and likes the less freeboard, LOL. The dealer also has a Supra Launch 20 that's a '07 leftover in a sweet color combo that we are considering, but the price is a bit more than we are looking to spend. Decisions decisions, LOL.

zegm
02-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Well if the boat is to be used just for skiing and you aren't really considering taking many people and you don't care about wakeboarding then pick the Outback. Keep in mind this is a serious Slalom course ski boat. But if you want to do a few more things on the water like wakeboarding and tubing and you are going to take more people pick the LS. Also remember that if you do take more than 5 people the wake on the Outback is going to get as big as the one on the LS if not bigger because it has a smaller hull. I have an old MasterCraft closed bow boat it works great but we cannot take anyone as it only seats five. My wife and I (OK her) are serious slalom skiers but it is just as important to us to take our kids and their friends and their friends parents with us. The best ALL around boat is the LS for this. I agree the Supra's are nice but now you are paying more money for Bling but not functionality. Good Luck with your decision!

Sled491
02-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Z quit scaring the guy. Hey we ordered an 07 Outback last year and love it. We have 3 kids and most of my wifes realtives believe we have the boat to entertain them. The LS is a nice upgrade but when push comes to shove and the almighty dollar starts to talk you won't be dissapointed with the Outback.

Windscreen usually matches the interior. 2 pc snap on cover only 1 color and 1pc logo cover not real friendly for a slip especially without a lift.

lanceswake
02-28-2008, 10:20 PM
sled

When you say 'windscreen' are you referring to a screen that snaps into the boat between the driver and passenger consoles below the windshield?

ian ashton
02-28-2008, 10:35 PM
sled

When you say 'windscreen' are you referring to a screen that snaps into the boat between the driver and passenger consoles below the windshield?

I'm assuming so, as I asked exactly what that was in my first post, I think he was answering my question.

Sled491
02-28-2008, 10:35 PM
yup

zegm
02-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Hey not knocking the Outback but who was it on this site that convinced me to look at the LS when I was dead set on the Outback V. Hummmmmmm!

I think it started with an ..................S then an L ...E....D! :lol:

Sled491
02-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Wow wow wow. Z, I mearly convinced a fellow skier to make the correct decision. You know I want to upgrade to the Mobius LS soon. Besides it's still not a Outback V :P

lanceswake
02-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Was just wondering cuz I haven't seen the option available nor a pic of one.

Sled491
02-28-2008, 11:26 PM
I don't have one but my buddy has one on his 06 Outback. Works well

zegm
02-29-2008, 12:04 AM
Sled,
Everyone here is glad you helped us, we all left the show so happy! Had you not mentioned it I would be in an OV. I was still not convinced until we went to the show and sat in it. I would say that it took less than an hour for us to fall in love with the LS and that is good considering the position we had when we walked in there! Now if the XLV didn't have such a big wake my wife would have bought it. She loved that bench seat behind the driver and the way it folded up into a recliner!

Sled491
02-29-2008, 12:15 AM
We were in a Supra 24 Sport last summer, I know what G is talking about. But man that's a big boat. In fact that was the 1st boat my wife Boarded behind