PDA

View Full Version : Our lake is F-U-L-L & rising !

bobwells
02-23-2008, 08:14 PM
After 2 days of torrential down pour...This was this a.m. now most of dock under ! We put boat in and Josh (my son) "bare-backed" it today, no wet suit, said it;s not all that bad dad, and I feel free'er... :shock: wow to be young again...he turns 16 this Tuesday :roll:

http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jitlakemisc029cj8.jpg
http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jitlakemisc027qo9.jpg

bamaspiveys
02-23-2008, 09:27 PM
LOL

I would say the drought is over at that lake.

Is there a dam holding at that level?

bobwells
02-23-2008, 09:53 PM
yea, it's dammed, I have had it nearly 3' above dock , they were getting a little nervous then, not sure how much higher it will go they have all the flood gates opened trying to get some relief. This will bring the stripers up from the gulf tho :D We were about 30" low all summer...quite a swing

kaneboats
02-24-2008, 12:47 AM
Holy crap, Bob! I got poured on but I'm on pretty high ground here. I was hoping you'd show me the lake this spring/summer but you're going to be riding 3 ft. above any dangers for a while. Tell Josh me and my 6 wish him a Happy Sweet 16!

zegm
02-24-2008, 11:04 AM
I have the same problem here on Deerpoint! My dock is close to 2 feet under water and the lake has taken over 1/2 my back yard! Luckily we live on a hill here!

bobwells
02-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Now you dont have as far to walk to the water ! they have been able to draw ours down a cpl. inches since last night. I love living on the water, we are blessed !!! actually half of our house is built over the water, our front yard is lake, I cut it every chance I get with our moomba mower :lol: we trimmed it this afternoon...

zegm
02-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Yeah they dropped this lake a least a foot since last night. Deerpoint Lake was created by damming up a section of St. Andrews Bay that was fed by 3 Creeks/Springs. You can drive to the dam by boat and look through the gates at the Bay. Or you can drive across 2303 which is the road over that dam and see both sides. That is interesting as you can see the differences in the behavior of the salt and fresh water sides. The differences in the water color and the waves when the wind is belowing is neat. They said years ago there were manatees up here years ago before they created this freshwater lake. It was done to provide Panama City its drinking water. In my 5 years of living here it has never crested the sides but after our torrential rain fall this week, well you know too we must be 3 feet above normal!