PDA

View Full Version : bent tracking fins?

dhickey
02-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Just took ownership of a brand new 2007 LSV (never has been off the trailer). While inspecting the boat, I noticed that the front tracking fin seemed to be somewhat bent compared to the other two fins. No noticable damage marks on the fin or hull. Is this normal and I'm just a paranoid new boat owner or is something really wrong?

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/9591/fin2wo3.jpg
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/2971/fin1ji7.jpg
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7421/fin3va3.jpg

Buttafewcoe
02-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Doesn't look too serious, but I think I'd have that fixed. Don't think it'd keep me off the lake till I did, tho.
B

bobwells
02-23-2008, 10:08 PM
You could probally get this real close with a cpl. of good heavy C- clamps and some good heavy short pieces of 1-2" angle iron. just place a piece of angle on each side and slowly torque down on the c-clamp, I believe the fins are brass so should bend back into place, I would certainly try it , course I try a lot of things :wink: ( boat mechanics are expensive}

JoeTechie
02-23-2008, 10:35 PM
That's not a little bent, that's a lot bent. Someone hit that hard to do that. As stated above, you can get 90% to correct with some clamps and a few straight edges. You will feel the difference and the boat will not track true with it like this. Drag will lower your mpg, etc. I'd take it back to the dealer if it's new and tell them to fix your "never off the trailer boat". It there a possibility you hit something or ran over something on the way home with the new toy ?

-J

spyder
02-23-2008, 10:44 PM
brand new? bring it back!

smokedog2
02-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Look for a nick in your port bumper on the trailer. Someone came in off angle witht he trailer too deep IMHO - best guess from here.

You, the dealer, SC or "I du know"

I du know is very active in my house.

SD2

dhickey
02-24-2008, 11:16 AM
thanks everyone for their responses. I will contact SC and let everyone know what they have to say. I did go back out this morning to take a couple more pictures and look over things some more.

1) There is no visible damage on any of the 3 fins (no cuts, no blemishes, no dings, nada, nothing)

2) There is no damage anywhere on the trailer where the fins mights have come in contact if it was loaded improperly. The trailer paint is perfect.

3) When I pull a string from the bottom of the front fin to the bottom of the back fin, all 3 fins bottoms line up along the string.

4) If I extend this string line all the way to the back of the boat, this line ends up about 2"-3" to the right of the center of the propeller (looking from the front of the boat)

Given I can't detect any damage that would cause this, this almost gives me the impression as if it was designed/built this way. Could this be a possible offest for the rotational direction of the propeller????

Anyone have a boat in their garage they can take a quick look at to tell me what they see?

I tried to take this picture to show the fin line with respect to the propeller
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/456/fin5sk6.jpg

I tried to take this picture directly down the center of the boat. You can see the fin line offset with respect to the center of the propeller
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2699/fin4yn0.jpg

zegm
02-24-2008, 11:24 AM
If this is a new design idea I would be surprised! I have never seen a fin bent like that! Call the dealer! Again like Ed says don't fix this on the boat!

tazz3069
02-24-2008, 12:00 PM
My boat is in the garage. My fins are straight. Take the boat back and get the boat fins fixed by the dealership.
Tazz

deerfield
02-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Dan - The three fins on my '07 Outback are perfectly in line. - Deerfield

zegm
02-24-2008, 02:40 PM
This looks like someone goofed while slinging the boat onto the tailer at the factory! And trust me as a manufacturing engineer of many years this is totally possible! Also you really want the dealer to inspect this and the hull too! All that force went into the hull!

JesseC
02-24-2008, 05:16 PM
I am going to really hope that they find it was bent BEFORE it was put on the boat! Are there any stress marks around the fiberglass on the boat? Any noticeable marks on the trailer? I really hope that you find out it was bent before it was installed!

BLKOUTLS
02-24-2008, 05:32 PM
It is very possible it happened when it was mated to the trailer and caught
a bunk that you cant see when its on it. The last company I knew that used a bizzare hooked fin was Centurion on the old ski boats. Bring it to the dealer and have them check it in the long run gel coat and glass issues could pop up.

Sled491
02-24-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm going with Jesse on this one. It's possible they just by accident put a bent fin on your boat.

What bothers me more if I read this correctly is that when you ran a string along all three fins at the base and then ran it to the back of the boat it was 2 - 3 inches off of center. this I find curius.

Last, it's a brand new boat, you ain't fixn nott'n! Back to the dealer you go 8)

zegm
02-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Ok you know it would be overall better if someone did install a bent fin for the sake of the hull not seeing the forces. But do we want someone assembling the boat that didn't SEE that thing before he/she tightened those 4 bolts!!!!

bobwells
02-24-2008, 09:00 PM
being new, I'd for sure be back to dealer, didnt really catch that on the first round :oops: I never have had that luxury :lol: it really is not something that cant be corrected very easily with a new fin. should be a no hassle fix. If'n it happened on my used boat I would try to straighten it in a heart-beat. Your not going to damage hull unless you maybe try to take a sledge hammer and beat it over... course if your handy with a sledge that might work too. Just joking Ed :) , take this new ride back to dealer and say fix it ! Best wishes you oughta be cruising in no time!

zegm
02-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Not being critical here but that is a difficult measurement to make with the driveshaft, prop and strut in the way and he states he had a 33% error too!

dhickey
02-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Not being critical here but that is a difficult measurement to make with the driveshaft, prop and strut in the way and he states he had a 33% error too!

Actually ZEGM, my measurement if off by 50% (3-2/2) :D
That's not really the point though. The picture clearly shows that the fin alignment is not down the center of the boat. Whether it's off by 2" or 6", it needs to get fixed.

zegm
02-24-2008, 11:25 PM
So the centerline of the fins is NOT on the centerline of the hull or down the center of the V bottom? That is strange and there must be a reason for this? Now I will have to go out and look at our MasterCraft to see what it looks like!

dhickey
02-25-2008, 10:22 AM
So the centerline of the fins is NOT on the centerline of the hull or down the center of the V bottom? That is strange and there must be a reason for this? Now I will have to go out and look at our MasterCraft to see what it looks like!

That is correct. Take a look at the pictures that I posted Sunday morning. If I take a string and line it up on the bottom of the three fins and extend that string line to the back of the boat, the string line would be 2"-3" to the right of the center of the propeller

BLKOUTLS
02-25-2008, 11:07 AM
I do believe the prop is always offset by a couple of inches ,prop wash, thrust and such. This is a question for Brian R. or Matt B. of S.C.

bobwells
02-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Many,many boats will come out of the same mold. The moombas have a narrow flat surface down center of boat which the fins are mounted to. I dont think for any reason the fins are mounted off center, there isnt much room for error if they are mounted on the flat surface which they appear to be. Just looks to me that during moving/loading etc. 1 fin got a good lick and possibly middle fin may have got a lighter blow... if there is no visible evidence of cracking etc. I wouldnt fret, the hulls are very tough and probally just replacing fins will get you good as new ! best wishes, I believe you'll be out sporting in no time!

glad no one on here needs brain surgery, I'm sure we could offer plenty of "instruction" on that as well :wink:
Godspeed, bob

DOCDRS
02-25-2008, 04:15 PM
from your pictures it appears as though the second fin is bent as well. Its a brand new boat and these are suppose to be straight. Some how it slipped thru QC if they have not been hit. Definitely pay close attention to the hull fractures as it appears to have ocurred by lateral forces rather than head on forces. remember its new it should be factory perfect. happy boating

dhickey
02-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Just got of the phone with SC. They acknowledged that there is an issue with the fins. I'll be taking the boat to the dealer to get all 3 fins replaced. Still unknown how/what happened, but maybe I'll learn more when they replace the fins. I'll post an update at that time.

deerfield
02-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Dan - Great to hear that SC is behind you and the fins will be replaced. - Deerfield

bobwells
02-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Go S C keep us customers happy and we will keep on buying yalls fine products !!! I'm wanting a V drive bad it'll be an Supra/Moomba I do believe !