PDA

View Full Version : Amps Wireing

SanMarzano
02-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Hey How does everyone do up there stereos? My monky wrence is that there are 6 boat speakers..........In the end state I want 4 tower speakers (probably a wet sounds box) a sub, as well as the 6 boat speakers powerd from an amp. Do I need 3 amps to do this? Can I get a 4 channel amp wire pairs of speakers down to 2 ohms and only use 3 channels for inside the boat? I would live to knbow how everyone does this. Also Battery isolater or Perco? Last question whats the best way to mount your amps?

byronkoz
02-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Its allways good if you can run your amps at 4 ohms but not allways gonna work out that way. Budget is a big factor in this as well. You could get a good 4 channel for the tower, a sub amp and a 4 channel for the boat and run 2 channels at 2 ohms and 2 at 4ohms to cover everything. I would also make sure your HU can run multiple amps. If not a good option is to run everything of an EQ, that will allow you to control all 3 amps indavidually.

tazz3069
02-22-2008, 09:03 PM
I just purchased a Kicker 5 channel amp. It is the MX 700.5 amp. I will be running the 6 boat speakers and the sub from that amp. There is a seperate connections just for the subwoofer. I also have the Kicker MX350.4 to run the tower speakers. I have the Polk Momo (4) for the Tower, Polk DB651 for the boat, and 10 Boston Acustic sub for under the driver side. I am in the process of installing it now. I will post pics of the install soon.
Tazz

SanMarzano
02-22-2008, 09:09 PM
I would also make sure your HU can run multiple amps. If not a good option is to run everything of an EQ, that will allow you to control all 3 amps indavidually.

Im confused could you explain?

tazz3069
02-22-2008, 09:43 PM
HU (Head Unit) You need to look at the back end of your stereo. I am pretty sure that you only have one set of RCA jacks. If you use two amps, you need to use a Y adapter for the amps. This will give you the ability to use two amps. The only problem is that you can not use the fader on your stereo. If this does not bother you, then use the Y adapter. If you really like to control your sound, then use a EQ. The EQ should have more than one RCA. You would use the single output to the EQ and then use the Multiple output to your amps. I did not wnat to use an EQ. There was another member in here that gave me a web sight to look at. I purchased a new Kenwood that still works with the external remotes and has 3 RCA out puts. This set up is perfect for me. I have more control of the sound that comes out of my speakers and sub woofer. Hope this helps.
Tazz

SanMarzano
02-22-2008, 10:04 PM
duh im sorry for some reason I read it as Make sure your HU can run multible ohms... I was like WTF???? Thanks LOL sorry

byronkoz
02-22-2008, 11:23 PM
Do you plan to run an ipod/mp3? For less than half the price of changing out your HU you can get a good eq that will allow you to run 3 amps with seperate controls for sub/tower and interior plus it will have an aux input for an ipod/mp3. The problem with everything running through you HU you dont have control from the drivers seat like you would with an eq. Most eq's will also give you a higher voltage outputs. Another option is the pac LC-1, if you decided to upgrade your HU and wanted seperate controls for the tower/sub/interior. I would also concider using a seperate switch for each amp so you dont have to power all of your amps if your only using one or two and not the other. Just some suggestions as im no expert and this is just the way ive done my stuff in the past.

Heres a link to the pac unit
http://cgi.ebay.com/PAC-LC-1-LC1-PREAMP-STEREO-REMOTE-LEVEL-CONTROL-NEW_W0QQitemZ190199566402QQihZ009QQcategoryZ60208Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

SanMarzano
02-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks

ANy good eq reccomendations?

byronkoz
02-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Here ya go.
http://cgi.ebay.com/CLARION-EQS746-7-BAND-EQ-7-BAND-ROTARY-EQUALIZIER-CAR_W0QQitemZ300200255862QQihZ020QQcategoryZ79841Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There are better eq's out there but this one will get the job done for a good price.

kaneboats
02-24-2008, 12:33 AM
You guys are good.