PDA

View Full Version : Amplified Subs

jmvotto
02-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Anyone have any luck with amplified subs like Bazooka or others that round out the sound to the stock 07 system in the OBV.

THx
JV

YellowMoomba0
02-22-2008, 01:27 PM
I have the 10" 200watt (built in amp) sub that I kept out of my 04 Outback and will be putting in my 08. I keep it deep in the storage under the glove box facing the bow. For me this is the better option than the box under the drivers seat that takes up leg room. Sounds great. If storage is empty you can get some vibrations. So i keep my snap covers and some life jackets in there too. I got mine from Onlinecarstereo.com It was over $100 cheaper than some wake sites. However, their customer service is lacking.

YellowMoomba0
02-22-2008, 01:28 PM
forgot to mention it is Bazooka and it is Marine

jmvotto
02-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks,

Seperate battery or on the main battery?

JV

YellowMoomba0
02-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Mine is on the main battery. I play the stereo while parked for hours; however, not all that loud. I suppose if you are going to play it loud while not underway then perhaps the dual battery option is better. If you have an amp for the stereo and an amp for tower speakers and then add sub amp then maybe you do need dual batteries. I really dont know.

jmvotto
02-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Again thanks for the info i will probably run one for now. Great prices on the site onlinecarstereo.com 80 bucks less than crutchfield on an 8"200 amp sub

I luv new site with cool prices.

JV

jmvotto
02-22-2008, 03:08 PM
oops $180.00 savings even better
:D

YellowMoomba0
02-22-2008, 03:11 PM
just make sure you get exactly what you want first time. I had two damaged Bazooka Marine 6.5" speakers out of the 6 I oredered and ended up buying 8 total. The return process was a nightmare. Hence the low prices I suppose.

tazz3069
02-22-2008, 05:23 PM
I had the Baziika tube in my boat. I did not like it. It did not give me the Bas that I expected from Bazooka. I now have a 10" Boston Acoustic Bass in my boat. I am in the process of rebuild the system right now. I will post pictures as the process goes on.

YellowMoomba0
02-22-2008, 05:32 PM
when i first installed i had poor bass too. Then i ordered that Kenwood deck i showed on this board recently (3 RCA preouts) Made all the difference in the world

tazz3069
02-22-2008, 07:07 PM
I got rid of everything. I am now installing the radio you told me about (3 RCA), polk audio DB651 in the boat, Polk Momo on the Tower, Boston Acustic Bass, and Kicker MX series amps. I am going to start on the install today and post pics as I go along.
Tazz

jrich23
03-05-2008, 04:51 PM
I have a bazooka 10" w/ 200w powering it mounted under the glove box and and strapped down facing the bow, and it sounds absolutly great!! I had to turn it down b/c too much bass. BTW not marine or amplified.

jdsharpe57
03-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Before I took delivery of my boat I knew that a good sounding system in it would be important and that dual batteries was a must. Here is a pick of what a custom job on a 10" Sub can look like under the instrument panel ( with a rise to extend legs if necessary ) I too had to turn the gain down because it was to much. But sounds terrific now, this one also like mentioned earlier is facing the bow. I couldn't put it under glove box because i had no room after dual batts. and dual amps.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj270/jdsharpe57/DecalsandMirror005.jpg

JL Audio makes one of the cleanest sounds you can get in a Sub I have 2- 8"'s in my truck and wouldn't swap them out for anything. little bit more on cost but the quality is hard to beat.

Aquaholic
03-05-2008, 07:24 PM
WORD.........JL pounds

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii156/zcannaday/moombasubbox001.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii156/zcannaday/moomba003.jpg

jmvotto
03-06-2008, 07:40 AM
JD,

is that a picture of the back of the sub cvered with carpet or is that a special custom carpeted upright with foot space to blend in with the interior.

JV

jdsharpe57
03-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Jv

That is a custom box with the sub facing the bow, when making the box I requested that they leave some leg room for the G/F and that is what they came up with. It is air tight and sounds great but it can easily be accessed by unscrewing the front cover, sorry no before pics but if u need more info let me know.

byronkoz
03-06-2008, 02:49 PM
That looks real good JD. Im looking at doing the same thing plus one in the passanger storage aria.

Sled491
03-06-2008, 11:47 PM
JD real clean looking. But what do I do when you have heaters?

jdsharpe57
03-07-2008, 09:41 AM
sled

that is a good question. I regretfully do not have the heater system on my boat so in my case we just used the empty space to my benefit. Do u have the dual battery under your glovebox? And how Many amps do u currently have/plan to have?

Sled491
03-07-2008, 05:58 PM
I have only the single battery right now, and have nothing purchased yet except for the 6 Polks for the cabin.

jdsharpe57
03-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Sled,

For starters I'm not sure how much you plan on doing other than a sub and your onboard speakers but I can tell you if you get a large un-amplified sub you will obviously need to purchase another amp so you will have a total of 2 amps mounted on the inside under your glove box or you will have 1 large amp to replace the one you have now which I do not recommend, especially if you ever plan on adding tower speakers.

Here is a picture of how full your area under your glove box would be with a dual battery and 2 Amps.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj270/jdsharpe57/TheNewBaby016.jpg

This next picture is where I would put my sub if I had a heater unit under instrument panel

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj270/jdsharpe57/TheNewBabyupdated.jpg

Don't know how badly you need the extra storage but you could have that area boxed out nice and tight for the perfect sound from a sub under that seat and still have plenty of room for your extra battery/extra amp if you ever need it(under your glove box).

My current set up works great with room to add on later if necessary. Picture above shows set up on delivery, since I have recieved it I have added the Sub and a MUCH larger amp in place of the kenwood amp, so now I have:

a kicker amp running onboard speakers and deck, with the ability to upgrade onboard speaks ( really want the wetsounds 650's)

And a JL Audio Amp that is large enough to push the 10" Sub, the 2 Kicker tower speakers and the 4 more tower speakers I wanna add in the very near future, money kinda tight with all the other upgrades, but I will post pics when I have 6 tower speakers lined up on top. Let me know if you want exact specs on the Amps and Sub I have currently Sled and I'll post it.

Membrain
03-07-2008, 07:58 PM
I’m tellin’ ya, take a look at “Precision Amps”!!!!!!!! I ran one 5-way amp with one battery, and have never had my battery go dead! This includes hours of cranking the stereo with the engine off at tie-ups and at the shore!!! They are pricey, mine was $800.00, but it was well worth the money! This amp powered 4 tower speakers, 6 boat speakers, and a 12” sub. The Kicker Amp is a BIG Drain on a battery!!!!!!!!!

jdsharpe57
03-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Membrain,

where do you have your sub? under the glove box?

byronkoz
03-07-2008, 08:21 PM
If your talking about the PPI amps there an excellent amp and can be had for about the same as youd pay for Kicker.

jdsharpe57
03-07-2008, 08:28 PM
I can understand how 1 amp is a better option in some cases but with my set up including the dual battery (peace of mind/higher resale)and both amps I still payed (installed) less than $750.00. Which is why I am addament about my set up but 1 amp 1 battery = much cleaner look with more storage space so either way i guess. To each his own :wink:

Membrain
03-07-2008, 08:47 PM
I had two Kicker Amps in our ’04 Mobius, before they were stolen. Auto Sound in Lewisville put everything back together, and they used the Precision Amp to run everything! They said I wouldn’t be disappointed. They were right!!! I asked Ronnie and Dennis of Water Ski Boats Dallas to take it of the ’04 and put in our new XLV GG. The new XLV comes with a dual battery set up so I guess I won’t have to worry about running the battery down now for sure! Especially when you get all liquored up and forget to start your boat once in a while to charge the battery! KIDDING everyone…well sorta…

We had the amp in the battery compartment in the ’04 model. It was tucked up nice and neat, and still had room for about 47 life jackets! Well, maybe 4-7 life jackets. We had the sub up under the cockpit. I could but a beer... I mean beverage…on the dash and it would dance around while FULL!!!!!!! But, I’m tellin’ ya when you would turn that bad boy on and that sub would hit…you could feel the pressure of that thing go past your face!!!! It was like a 5 MPH wind! Come on XLV!!!

Membrain
03-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Hey jdsharpe,

I noticed that your Kenwood amp is mounted back behind your batteries very close to the floor!? Can I make a suggestion? Raise it up several inches or as high off the floor as you can get them! If your boat is like mine was, you will be getting some wake wash up over the bow when you turn around to go get you fallen skier. If you get liquored up...there I go again…and turn into your wake to sharp, you will swamp the bow! Water will gush in like Katrina!!!! You know how water and electronics get along…very much like my ex and me! Although, if or WHEN you get really good at this thing, you can swamp all the people sitting up front unexpectedly!!!

Sled491
03-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Are precision and PPI the same thing? I'm getting a bit confused. Like buying my new Plasma for xmas, talk to 4 different sales man at 3 different stores and got 4 differnet answers.

Membrain
03-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Don't know, let me check my manual!

JoeTechie
03-08-2008, 01:24 AM
Precision Power, Inc. = PPI
http://www.precisionpower.com/

-J

Membrain
03-08-2008, 10:53 AM
That’s it! :lol:

Sled491