PDA

View Full Version : Rubber spacers for tower

JesseC
02-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Ok, here is my newest dilemma. I have been fabricating a new light bar for the tower from aluminum stock and a few lights that I picked up that I think will look really good. Well, I have finished the bar, electrical and mounting so naturally it was time to mount it to the tower for a "test run" in the garage. Well low and behold, my tower is a really odd diameter.....go figure. According to the stainless chromed clamps, they will fit the following: 1 7/8 to 2 1/2 diameter towers, so no problems right??? Wrong....(insert multiple cuss words here). For some reason unknown to man, my tower measure an 1 5/8 at all points (I always thought it was an 1 7/8 ). Lucky me. So, onto the question. Does anybody know where I can get a piece of rubber that is 1/2 thick that I could cut into spacers to fit in the clamps? They would probably need to be 2-3 inches wide by 5-6 inches long. If someone knows where to find such a monster, I will give better measurements. Thanks.

cab13367
02-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Jesse,

rubbercal.com should have something that will work.

Al

zegm
02-19-2008, 11:24 PM
What about some delrin, UHM or some other manufactured plastic? McMasterCarr or MSC the big blue book? You can machine it easily and it would look better than black rubber.

bobwells
02-19-2008, 11:52 PM
I run into this constantly when mounting lights,speakers etc. my boat a '98 mobius has smaller diameter tower. I always cut me some rubber shim from various sources, old ski boots, vynil/rubberized roofing material etc. I just try to cut it right length and then trim it with razor knife to width, it really is not noticable. From all your pic projects I know your definetely very maticulous, and I certainly admire your work. sometimes you got to "use what ya got till you get what you need" :wink: Jesse I will check my stock, I had roswell send me a brand new set of clamps for one of there light bars, I know they came with some shims, (hard plastic) for some reason I didnt use them and used the set that came with used bar I had bought . not sure why(brain fade) I'll take alook and if it looks like they would work in the 1 5/8 " app. I'll let you know, you can have'm if they will. you may want the entire clamp set if they work, there just gathering dust... I want be home till kinda late tommorrow, but soon as I can I'll check them out and shoot you a pic or two. thanks again for all your info you share here, bob

tazz3069
02-20-2008, 12:28 AM
Jesse, go to bosswake.com There is a guy there called Rio. He has made custom clamps for my tower. I also made a custom bar that will hold both the speakers and lights. He made the clamps for me. I purchased rubber tape so the clamps won't damage the tower. It works great. You can get the number on the contact us section.
Mark

JesseC
02-20-2008, 11:00 AM
All of these are excellent suggestions! I knew I could count on you guys. Well, I went home and did some more measuring and thinking. I also looked at the tower speakers more closely. I had forgotten about this issue. The tower speaker clamps are identical to the light bar clamps (I ordered the same clamps so they would match). The only difference was the spacers they sent. The speaker ones form a year ago came with rubber strips that were the full width of the clamp and I had to use two of them. The new clamps that I ordered for the light bar came with neoprene inserts that were only the width of the edges and do not run all the way across the clamp, so stacking them is not possible. If I were to use the spacer for 1 7/8 tower. I would only need an additional insert that is 1/8 inch thick. So when this insert is wrapped around the tower it should take up the 1/4 inch gap?.?.? I would like to find the 1/2 so it will only be one piece. I figure if it is too thick, then I get to break out the dremel!!!! :D I am going through the options in this thread to see which one will work best.

Mikey
02-20-2008, 10:56 PM
As a plumberI have two suggestions.Go to home depot or wereever and find a rubber roof flashing or possibly a fernco ftg and cut the to fit. :wink:

JesseC
02-25-2008, 11:48 AM
As a plumberI have two suggestions.Go to home depot or wereever and find a rubber roof flashing or possibly a fernco ftg and cut the to fit. :wink:

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Mikey, that was what I ended up doing, picked up a pair of fernco fittings and now they look like they were made for the tower clamps! A razer blade, dremel and 2 hours later and i am left with perfect spacers! I will post pics as soon as I finish the wiring. I am getting close, should be done by the end of the week. I just have to wire in the relays and drill a hole in the side of the boat!!