PDA

View Full Version : new moomba to the family

Rae
02-17-2008, 01:32 PM
New to the Moomba family, signed the paper's back on Jan. 10 on a brand new 07 outback with lots of options. It has up graded colour pattern red hull, then black and platinum on the top deck. I traded in my 92 mastercraft barefoot200 with a 200 yamaha ( going to miss the speed 54mph). When I went to look at it 4 days before Xmas it was shrink wrapped and had a foot of snow on it at Baymarine in Trenton Ont. I think Iam going add the jump seat and going to get a custom mooring cover made for it. Can anybody tell me is it worth upgrading to the 3-blade CNC prop? I hope to pick it up sometime mid april if all the snow is gone, the kids can't wait.

Buttafewcoe
02-17-2008, 02:44 PM
If it's an OB DD, I wouldn't. But the OB V, I think I might.
B

deerfield
02-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Rae - Welcome to the bulletin board and congratulations on the new purchase. Guaranteed fun. Let's see some pics! - Deerfield

MasterMind3002
02-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Welcome Rae

I'm agree with butta, the CNC prop isnt't necessary with the DD.

Your gonna love the Outback!

Mikey
02-18-2008, 12:36 AM
I'm looking for a spare prop for my outback dd and i did order the cnc 3 blade upgrade with the boat. My question is why or why not? I thought first off its stronger and better balanced? I'd like to know is it worth my while as well. Also what diference does dd make over vdrive/ i would have thought the oposite .

Laz
02-18-2008, 01:22 AM
Enjoy your new boat. I bought my Outback from the Bay Marine. I just drove past Trenton yesterday in the freezing rain thinking that I'd had enough of winter.

zegm
02-18-2008, 01:23 AM
There are cast props and then there are machined props (cnc). There are wakeboard props and there are skiing props. Both of these can be cast or CNC (Computerized Numerical Control- computer controlled Mills or machining centers) props. You really need to call your dealer and understand what the upgrade was for, not how the prop was manufactured. A standard cast prop can be out of spec with a "perfect" drawing by up to 15% (but not usually that bad). A CNC manufactured prop will be within 1% of the drawing/spec. The important thing to ask if what type of skiing I intend to do with the boat and then upgrade to a prop that fits that style.

Buttafewcoe
02-18-2008, 06:17 AM
Mikey, you're asking a very technical question that doesn't have a short answer. A lot to consider. You need to do some reading. Do a search on the internet.
B

YellowMoomba0
02-18-2008, 09:16 AM
One of my buddies at PCM has 25 years exp. in props, and has left SC to go back to Texax to do props again. I rode in a closed bow nautique with the cnc. The boat was dead silent. I could definately tell the difference. The problem is repair of a cnc. If you ding the standard prop it can be repaired a number of times, the cnc can only be repaired once. With that said, I am on the fence.

jmvotto
02-18-2008, 01:20 PM
B,
I have read alot of posts on the web ans still confused.( 4blade cnc vs 3 blade cnc). what comes stock on the OBV o7 and what are the simple pros and cons between the two.

thx
sorry to hijack the thread
JV

Mikey
02-18-2008, 04:41 PM
One of the above posts stateing cnc props can only be repaired once gives me something to definetly think about.My only other real question is why more of a difference whith a dd over a Vdrive/.Does it have anything to due with the transfering of power/energy through direct shaft versus through the vdrive unit /transfer case of sorts?. If thats the case as a spare prop anyway why would i spend more on a cnc prop given tolerances should be decent anyway? :?:

Sled491
02-18-2008, 10:39 PM
I'm curious about only fixing a CNC prop once. A nibral prop is a nibral prop. Hit something and they grind, straighten, and rebalance the prop. THe CNC upgrade is worth the money. For a spare prop look for a good used or rebuilt one. Another option is to get the prop you may need or want and keep the factory one as your spare.

Mickey,

I'm not sure of your question about the difference between V Drive and DD. The hulls are different, the motor is in a different place, and yes the power is transfered differntly. The V drive was made for your wake type sports, Wakeboarding, knee boarding, wake surfing. Not that a DD can't so these things, it's just that the V drive was built for this.

Buttafewcoe
02-19-2008, 04:47 AM
The V is a heavier boat
B

Miller_Time
02-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Sorry to hijack, but on our 08 lsv the prob is cnc, but the dealer said nothing about having the wakeboard prop upgrade. Do the LSVs come with a CNC prop, or is the CNC the wakeboard prop upgrade? Thanks guys!

Sled491
02-19-2008, 07:58 PM
2 different things, although both would be CNC

Miller_Time
02-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Ok thanks Sled, I'm guessing we have the stock prop then since the dealer didn't mention the wakeboard prop.

Mikey
02-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Now i seem to be a little more informed on the props.I upgraded to the cnc 3 blade prop and it works perfectly for what i/we use our boat for. I will probably try to match that prop. Now all i have to do is find one,may go online or wait untill we go on hollidays Down in Idaho area. Your prices still do not compare to trying to buy locally. Definetly some advantages of living South of the border.Then i don't have to deal with duty etc as well. :roll: