PDA

View Full Version : Great lakes Hoists

jmvotto
02-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Anbody in the midwest (or anywhere else for that matter) have an pros or cons with Great lakes vertical hoists for their Moombas? looking at ordering one

27 & snowy, come on spring....

JV :)

deerfield
02-15-2008, 04:08 PM
jm - Had planned on buying a Shorestation. Been around a long time and has a pretty good reputation. Then last week I stopped into a boat dealer that carries Great Lakes Lift. Yesterday in the mail received a DVD I had requested from the Great Lakes web site. Since I have no experience with lifts, kinda' hard to tell the real differences between boat lift companies and their products. I guess they all pretty much do the same thing, but maybe are engineered differently. I'm inclined to buy a Great Lakes manual vertical lift w/ canopy, and side rails. It can be set so that I don't have to lower the tower on my Outback each time I put it away. Great Lakes is offering a 10% discount during the month of February. - Deerfield

jmvotto
02-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Deerfeield,

I found that to be true as well. Shorestation, lake shore and RBC all have good names and reputations this one just seemed like a deal in price comparison.

Thx,

JV

Reese350
02-16-2008, 04:46 PM
I rented one last summer from our yacht club and had no issues with it. They swear by them. I had a 2004 Outback most of the summer and 2006 LSV towards the end. Worked great on both.

They go for about $2k used at our club.

BensonWdby
02-17-2008, 08:20 AM
I have a Vibo cantilever lift for my 99 Mobius. It is a 3600# lift, with a slot in the rear cradle for the drive shaft/prop. The nice part of that is that you don't need to have the bunkers as high off the cradle if you have the slot.

Prices are reasonable. Construction seems quality. Assembly is simple. They are local for me so that was easy, but I would imagine they ship...

http://www.vibomarine.com/cantileverlifts.htm

bamaspiveys
02-17-2008, 10:58 AM
I have a Vibo cantilever lift for my 99 Mobius. It is a 3600# lift, with a slot in the rear cradle for the drive shaft/prop. The nice part of that is that you don't need to have the bunkers as high off the cradle if you have the slot.

Prices are reasonable. Construction seems quality. Assembly is simple. They are local for me so that was easy, but I would imagine they ship...

http://www.vibomarine.com/cantileverlifts.htm

I went to your home page the BYGA looked like a cool deal.

BLKOUTLS
02-17-2008, 01:50 PM
I have a Shore Station and have had it for 4 years. It has been rock solid
and designed to hold up. My only complaint with it that it does not have the cutout the way the others do. The bunk level with the tracking fins are aprox 3/4 inch to low. If you have any flucuation in water level that can be key to getting the boat off. I sink my shorestaion about 10 inches into the silt to avoid getting stuck when our water level tanks here on the Fox. I have had to float my LS off my shorestation with inner tubes
when it dropped to low. I have a farm tractor inner tube now in case and
it works great.

jmvotto
03-31-2008, 12:05 AM
I received my Great lakes lift this past weekend and got 1/2 of it put together(my birthday present to myself and my wife) three days apart this spring.

It was easy to put together just time consuming.The GLL was better than i expected and was very impressed with the direct drive unit. The beams were pre-cabled. pics on below thread

https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=5532

I will post more when, the bunks, side guides and canopy go on maybe next weekend or when we get back from spring break.
:D

deerfield
04-06-2008, 10:35 PM
JV - I appreciate your pics of the new lift. Great birthday present. Real nice of your brother-in-law to help out with assembly. Man, I gotta like a guy who builds his lift with a foot of snow on the ground. That's dedication. We decided on a Shorestation lift from a dealer who used it the past two seasons for his demo boat. While the lift is used, I bought a new canopy frame and canvas. This will be our first season with a lift, so I'm paying the dealer to do the assembly, haul it to the lake, and install. The slip will be ready early May. If all goes well, our lift and boat will be in the water mid May. Today was beautiful. Sun was out and the air temp was around 65 degrees. Got all the water toys (skis, boards, tubes, life jackets, ropes, towels, wet suits, gloves) down from a storage loft in the garage. Startin' to get organized for the new season. We pull a utility trailer that has a cargo box for the skis and two large containers w/lids for the rest of the toys. Box and containers are secured to the trailer to prevent theft. Everything locks. The utility trailer keeps the car clutter free and comfortable for the ride to and from the lake. Boat goes to the dealer to get "summerized" on Friday, April 25. C'mon summer! 8) - Deerfield

zegm
04-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Today on our way in we noticed a poontoon boat sitting in a boat house on a lift, OK it was sort of on the lift, apparently a cable or clamp let go on one side. The boat was down on the left rear corner with the boat sitting at a 45 degree angle in the house. I have no idea how this guy is going to fix this issue. I guess if you have a lift inspect them for wear and tear!!! Has anyone thought of the rail roads??? I can build a boat house over the water but this can be expensive and must meet certain lake rules. I can build whatever I want in my back yard and I am sure it would not be as expensive! Especially if I get Sled to help me!

jmvotto
04-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Deerfield, your shorestation is solid, best in the business. wanted to save some $$ for all the stuff you listed, the list sems to grow every week :shock:

Z they can probably float the pontoon boat out with some large tractor inner tube then fixed the cable. from the water ( need extra guy to watch for reptiles) :shock:

Rail roads??? :?