PDA

View Full Version : Transom tie down question

fatsac
08-14-2003, 06:45 AM
Owner of a '03 Outback LS here...noticed the holes to hook up transom tie downs on my trailer are quite a bit forward from the actual transom of the boat. The tie downs rub against the gel coat which can't be a good thing. Any suggestions on protecting my gel coat from the rub of the straps? Maybe wrapping the straps with carpet or something?

Thanks

jburnside
08-14-2003, 07:36 AM
Fatsac,
I have the same boat and had the same concern. What I did was first purchase the "quick lock" swivel head tie-down, then I had my wife make some sleeves to fit around the tie down. Basically a double thick terry cloth tube, open at both ends. I slide that down the tie-down and sort of gather it up against the transom lower edge. Close the buckle on the strap and every thing is protected. If you need me too, I can send you a digital picture of what we have. I used a length of chain with a quick release for my safety chain at the bow stop, my wife made a smaller sleeve for that as well. Both work perfect.

lowdrag
08-14-2003, 03:23 PM
I've got an 03 Mobius and had the same concerns. The only place my straps rub is on the bottom edge of the boat. I just took the easy way out and took two small terry cloth shop towels and folded them up and put them between the strap and the boat. When I used the levers to tighten the strap it pinches them between the strap and the boat so they don't move.

Lake Bound
08-14-2003, 03:46 PM
Hello, I have a 2002 Outback LS and had the same problem. I purchased new tie downs from Overtons that are like seat belts and mount to the rear of the trailer which moves them back a few inches at least. The other good point is they are always attached to the trailer when the boat is pulled out of the water. I feel they are much better than the original ones. I can send a link if you would like.

Thanks,

fatsac
08-14-2003, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I figured I would have to put something between the straps and the boat to keep from rubbing and was curious as to how everyone solved this problem. I'm needing something done this weekend and will probably wedge some terry cloth in for a quick fix and then eventually do what burnside did as the permanent fix.

Lake Bound...if you get a chance, I would like to see what you are talking about if you don't mind providing the link. I can't find it at Overton's or I'm just overlooking it...

Thanks again guys...

Lake Bound
08-15-2003, 12:52 PM
Well I found the link. Please let me know if this gets you there. They still rub slightly but much easier to use than having the tiedown under the boat. Hope this helps.

http://www.overtons.com/cgi-bin/overtons/order/large.cgi?32050

Thanks,

Troy0501
08-15-2003, 08:08 PM
I use some of the seat belt cushions that you find at wal-mart to save the gel-coat. The open up and fit around the strap perfectly. You can get a set at wal-mart or any parts store pretty inexpensive and they come in several different colors to match your particular boat...