PDA

View Full Version : Trailer help

rshea99
02-12-2008, 01:41 PM
I have been having trouble with blowing out tires on my trailer. After looking at everything real close I found out I am running on 14" tires instead of 15" when I bought the boat it was a new trailer the guy had purchased from Roadrunner. I am not sure he did his homework on how much the boat weighs I was wondering if anyone knows if someone that would do a trade for what I need or is it worth the work to have it redone and add another axle.

zabooda
02-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Get proper tires for the load rating of the boat and equipment. The tire dealer will give you an adjustment on the tire and go to the higher rating. I used to have an i/o with a trailer that had car tires instead of trailer tires and every year the tire would start to seperate. After replacing the tires a few times at their expense, they put the correct tires on. Replacement is prorated based on tread depth and the tires I had on the boat had full depth.

rshea99
02-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Thanks I will get with the company I bought the latest set of tires from and see what they will do. I wonder if I will have to go to a 15" tire.

zabooda
02-12-2008, 04:57 PM
The tire size isn't an issue with the blow out as the difference is it may travel at a different speed based on the outer diameter of the tires. You need tires than can handle the weight so you will be going to a higher ply tire with a stiffer side wall. The sway of the boat on the road and weak side walls is what kills those tires especially if car tires are used.

qb12
02-12-2008, 05:22 PM
1st, what kind of tires were they.

2nd, what kind of boat do you have. that would determine wether a single or dual axle would be required.

really only the xlv requires the dual axle's out of the moomba line.

zabooda
02-12-2008, 07:23 PM
I didn't realize the trailer is not a Trailer Mate which is made for the Moombas. You need to look at the manufactorer's label and see what the trailer rating is. See how the rating for the trailer matches up for the weight of the boat.

rshea99
02-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Its a 2000 outback and its a roadrunner trailer I will get with the manufacture and see what they rate them for. Thanks for all the help.

qb12
02-13-2008, 01:55 PM
go with goodyear marathons. i've had them on all 3 of my inboards with not a single problem and i tow a bunch.

Sled491
02-14-2008, 06:53 PM
I wonder why the stock trailer was replaced?

If you can fit the bolt pattern and the there is room under the fender etc, you could go up to 15's. Not like your going to screw up the speedo or something :lol:

Buttafewcoe
02-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Good point about the 15's sled.....and go with the tires specifically made for trailers. They have the heavier sidewall for the lateral forces involved w/ trailering.
B

rshea99
02-15-2008, 01:35 PM
It looks like I am going to have to go with the 15s I will have to change the spindles to get the correct bolt holes but that is easier then putting another axle in. There should be enough room under the finders. I can't find 14's that will handle the weight.

zegm
02-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Do you have to change the spindles or can you just change the hubs?

maxpower220
02-17-2008, 01:51 AM
First, you really need to find out what your axle and springs are rated for (or if you have torsion bars, what they are rated for). You may have more than tire issues. If you currently have 5x4.5" rim pattern now, you should be able to find that pattern in a 15" wheel. This would eleminate the need for a spindle swap (or hub swap). If makes sense to research this before you spend a lot of money to upgrade only to have more problems later.