PDA

View Full Version : "new" boat - what all do I need to buy?

tlatoani
02-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Hi everyone, With the help of the board I picked up an 05 XLV in December. I'm slowly working on the things that I think I will need for the spring. What am I missing? I have 2 wakeboards, a surfboard, and a few skis. The boat came with a few vests, lines, and bumpers. Of course I have a cooler, towels, sunscreen, etc...

Here is what I have come up with so far:
1) tool kit
2) anchor and line
3) filet knife/dive mask
4) flares
5) first aid kit
6) spare impeller/belt
7) jumper pack (or 2nd battery setup)
8) perfectpass (wakeboard pro or stargazer)
9)tube/rope (for the kids obviously :P)
10)kid skis and wakeboard
11) more vests
12) flashlight(s)
13) surf rope
14) ski/wakeboard rope
15) bimini (eventually)
16) SPARE BOAT KEYS (boat only came with 1)
17) tie up lines (check what came with boat)
18) bumpers (check what came with boat)
19) float cushion (required one)
20) fresh air exhaust
21) rafts (for partying of course)
22) spare prop

thanks for any input! Funny how those 8's turn into 8)

yearround
02-11-2008, 07:45 PM
i like to keep about a gallon worth of water bottles and some other snacks granola bars, etc. would also suggest a few trash bags, maybe even some toilet paper?

zegm
02-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Ah, since I don't know what part of the country you live in this might change, but I would move Bimini way to the top of the list. The addition of that on our boat more than doubled our time on the water. I got tired of being "fried" after a day on the lake!

llxlv
02-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Yeah the bimini is mandatory out here in Nevada. Could not go without it.

phenom_1819
02-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Sounds like you've got it pretty well covered. A couple thoughts.

With all the safety gear you've thought of (and I'm impressed!), it is worth your while to add one more thing to your list -- a non-stretch wakeboard rope. A waterski and wakeboard rope are not the same thing (waterski is stretchy, wakeboard is not). A stretch rope should NEVER be used from the tower, as recoil can bring the rope right back into the boat and cause injury to your passengers (this happened to a friend three years ago using a waterski line from his tower -- a girl in the boat got in the way of the handle and ended up with several broken bones in her face...).

If you plan on taking your boat to shore, invest in an Anchor Buddy. It is a bungee cord that straps to your anchor and bow hook so that you can pull your boat into shore without the hull ever touching the sand. They cost $20 or so and it is one of my favorite boat toys.

I always carry a couple extra stern drain plugs. If you don't use them yourself, you may be able to save someone else's day.

Also, be sure to leave some towels in your tow rig with a couple bottles mixed 50/50 with water and vinegar for wiping down. By having a few bottles, you can get others to help out and speed up the process (don't forget the trailer too). :)

Congrats on your new boat!

zegm
02-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah a cheap waterski rope is stretchy but a real one is NOT!

Sled491
02-11-2008, 09:06 PM
What a list, but I'm sure you'll adjust as you see what is needed and not as the summer and your experience go by. One note and I'm surprised no one had mentioned this yet, but if your gonna carry a spare prop your gonna need a prop puller and maybe soem knukle bandages :lol:

Congrats on the boat and welcome 8)

Mikey
02-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Only thing i can think of not mentioned is matches/lighter or flint in case it gets wet and a wiener marshmellow roaster. we often find a beach and have a small fire for lunch /area and conditions allowing. 8)

bambam26
02-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Cal, what is the 50/50 water vinager for? Water spots? If so doesnt the vinager hurt the paint?

tazz3069
02-11-2008, 11:08 PM
The vinager takes off the wax.

tlatoani
02-12-2008, 01:36 AM
Some good additions-thanks. I'm in IL, so the bimini would be pretty nice for the long summer days. A lot of our trips tend to be evenings, so I'm not quite as worried about it. We'll see how much time the family wants to spend out there on weekends.

I thought of one more myself: an air pump! I don't want to blow a tube up the hard way.

And no, I'm no eagle scout :P Mom bought a boat when I turned 13, and with no dad around I HAD to drive the boat because she had to drive the trailer away. Now many (many) years later I finally got my own boat so I can teach my kids the joys of boating. I like to be prepared. I guess I am the "resonsible big brother" still. Heck, I think I will make a nice checklist of things to pack for each trip, and then get it laminated and/or posted somewhere handy in the house. It's a good 40 minutes to the lake so forgetting something is a big PITA. (but still better than making my wife drive out with a spare key one evening when I went skiing with the key to our truck when I had mom's boat out)

qb12
02-12-2008, 10:07 AM
i can't believe EVERYONE forgot one of the most important things to bring.

"BEER"

tlatoani
02-12-2008, 11:24 AM
that's presumed, given that a cooler is on the list

^^^

I'm thinking I may just keep a bunch of water bottles in the built in cooler. Do people actually use it as a cooler?

phenom_1819
02-12-2008, 01:13 PM
The vinager takes off the wax.

Cal, what is the 50/50 water vinager for? Water spots? If so doesnt the vinager hurt the paint?

The wax argument has been made both ways, in my experience I've never had a problem with vinegar (and would stop immediately if I did)... but I also wax my boats regularly. Plain water works fine too, though I've found vinegar helps cut through the sludge and water spots that can build up on the hull. It does not damage the gelcoat.

Either way... bring something to wipe down your boat and trailer with -- if your waterways are grimy, than some sort of cleaner might be helpful.[/quote]

GeauxTigers
02-12-2008, 01:44 PM
I was told the vinegar will eventually "yellow" white hulls.

deerfield
02-12-2008, 03:12 PM
tlatoani - Along the lines of teaching your kids the joys of boating, think about a safe boating course. Go to americasboatingcourse.com and take a look at the course content. It's pretty much age appropriate for anyone between 8 and 80. Did this with my three sons. Told them that if they wanted to drive the boat they had to know basic safe boating. Can't say that they remembered everything, but they know far more than they did before the material came in the mail and are on their way to being responsible operators. Congratulations on the XLV and welcome to the Moomba family. By the way, see that you are in Illinois. We will be on Lake Mary (just over the boarder from Illinois in the town of Twin Lakes WI) this summer. Where do you guys boat? - Deerfield

tlatoani
02-12-2008, 04:43 PM
tlatoani - Along the lines of teaching your kids the joys of boating, think about a safe boating course. Go to americasboatingcourse.com and take a look at the course content. It's pretty much age appropriate for anyone between 8 and 80. Did this with my three sons. Told them that if they wanted to drive the boat they had to know basic safe boating. Can't say that they remembered everything, but they know far more than they did before the material came in the mail and are on their way to being responsible operators. Congratulations on the XLV and welcome to the Moomba family. By the way, see that you are in Illinois. We will be on Lake Mary (just over the boarder from Illinois in the town of Twin Lakes WI) this summer. Where do you guys boat? - Deerfield

Good idea. Mom made us take the course back when I was young. My two aren't old enough yet (2 and 4). I would like to take the course myself, and my wife probably should do it. I remember the course being at least somewhat interesting so it's not too much of a chore. Of course I need to get my 4yo in swim lessons again...

I'm in Champaign. We go to Clinton lake mostly, sometimes Shelbyville. Some friends have a huge house boat at Shelbyville so that may be our hangout this year. Clinton is a shorter drives, so that's our spot for evening trips.

deerfield
02-12-2008, 07:51 PM
tlatoani - About three hours north of you is Fox Lake, location for the 2008 Chicago area Moomba/Supra owners' jamboree. The event is hosted by Skiers Choice and Round Lake-based Ultimate Wake Watersports (Chris is the man). This year's jamboree date is Saturday, July 26. All day event with pro demos, games, great food, and giveaways. All free, courtesy of SC and UWW. Meet lots of good people. Bring your boat, family, and friends. Last year I think there were around twenty boats and eighty or so attendees. I know its a treck from Champaign. Maybe come up the night before and stay at a local hotel. (Take 294 around the city before 3:00 p.m. and you should be able to avoid the Friday traffic flight.) Pretty much would gurantee you parking on Saturday morning at the event site.This will be the second year for the Chicago jamboree and parking may be even tighter. At some point there should be an official announcement here on the BB about the jamboree. Or maybe call Chris at Ultimate Wake Watersports. - Deerfield

phenom_1819
02-12-2008, 08:54 PM
I was told the vinegar will eventually "yellow" white hulls.

Hadn't heard that claim. I definitely haven't had that problem.

kaneboats
02-12-2008, 10:34 PM
I did a weekend down on Lake Shelby one summer we spent in Champaign. It was a huge lake as I recall and very clean. I'm from Joliet and we used to run the Kankakee or the Illinois Rivers. Never got up to the chain o lakes. I moved to FL 3 years ago.

I was watching the mention of the Chicago owners' gathering because I'm going to be up there this summer, but not till August. I may try to check out the Orlando one and some guys are trying to get up an Atlanta one too. Happy boating all, wherever you are. Thanks for all the great posts. You make a "new" owner feel very welcome and everyone is always willing to help.

Sled491
02-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Hey, that's what were here for 8)