PDA

View Full Version : Moomba starts then quits

woodman
08-13-2003, 02:31 PM
I have a 1998 Moomba Mobius. Just died after running for a few minutes the other day. Turns over and starts but then immediately dies after it burns what little fuel is in carb. Is this a bad fuel pump or something else ? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Brian Raymond
08-14-2003, 11:40 PM
When the boat is running, verify that you have batt. voltage constantly at the fuel pump. If not, jump the purple and red wire on the 3prong oil press./fuel pump sw. just port and under the distributor(in the key on, engine not running pos.). This would lean toward a switch replacement. If batt. voltage is read during the running mode, and the motor dies, it may be the pump. It may also mean a improper float adj. due to gunk in the needle and seat, or in the main metering block. A fuel filter change may be all you need. Check the fuel feed line from the pump to the tank to verify it is not pinched. Is the fuel gauge reading correctly? Keep me posted. Brian Raymond

woodman
08-15-2003, 07:58 AM
I took the boat to an indmar dealer and he said that I had alot of water in my fuel. How it got there I don't know. But I am going to drain the tank and lines, replace water separator and spark plugs to see if that will help. He said there was an unusual amount of water in the fuel. Just before this happened I filled up at a Shell station.So we will see.

Yellowmobius
08-15-2003, 09:43 AM
Very Strange, I had the same thing happen to me this year. I had the tank drained and filled with a fresh tank. Since then I have run 6 or7 tanks through without a problem.

The mechanics blamed it on a bad fill of gas. I guess is makes sense since it only happen once and has not returned.
He showed me a glass jar filled with part gas part water that he pulled out of my tank. he guessed there was between 1 to two gallons of water in it.

Tom Stimson
10-08-2003, 09:07 PM
I have had the problem 4 times on my 1999 Moomba Outback and it is getting very frustrating. I have spent approximately 600.00 dollars on tanking the tank out and replacing water fuel separators. Same thing the mechanics say that I bought bad gas but there is no common thread to where I buy. Seems to happen when I do not run the boat for a while and it rains. I keep a cover on it at all times and on a hoist. It's not the gas cap because I have changed it out. Does any one know of a permanent fix?

Let me know,

Tom

lowdrag
10-08-2003, 10:36 PM
Do any of you that have this problem let your boats sit for an extended time without a full tank? Could be condensation forming in the tank if you do.

purplepower
10-08-2003, 10:38 PM
Tom, Just some thoughts:

At the risk of rubbing salt in your wounds, why did you have the tank removed. Was there gunk in there also or just water?

I can't see rain water being a factor.

Also I would have to be driving hard in reverse to get water near my tank vent but I suppose that is possible if the vent is faulty.

I always top the tank off before leaving the boat for longer periods to decrease condensation (the most likely culprit in my opinion).

If your local marina is selling bad gas then you would think that others would be affected? You can't be that unlucky.

My brother is in the boat business. He is always at me about upgrading the fuel filtration and water separation system to one that allows you to regularly ckeck and bleed the water out. He thinks the metal canister type on my boat is not up to the job and evidently he is right. Do you get any warning that water is a problem until the boat starts acting up? Possibly you have upgraded already?
Tony

purplepower
10-08-2003, 10:57 PM
Just so I don't lead anyone astray:

The fuel separators with the plastic base to sight for water levels are NOT suitable for inboards.

I was referring to the high filtration style with metal housings and a bleed at the base.

Tony

ezreitter
10-09-2003, 10:40 AM
I had same problem, mechanic said he believed that lake water was leaking into the tank. He felt that the gasket was not sufficent to keep water out. ??? Don't know if this is right, but thought I'd put it out there.