PDA

View Full Version : Ballast in DD Outback

danimal365
02-08-2008, 02:27 PM
I just ordered an 08 Outback but didn't order the Gravity 1. How much weight do I need to add to the boat, and where?
Thanks guys!

Buttafewcoe
02-08-2008, 03:16 PM
howdy d,
tell ya what.....
Get you the twins (440# straight line bags). That'll give you almost 900#.
Put yer backseat up so's it's makes the sunpad. Place both the bags in a position horizontal (perpendicular) to the motor box, behind the box in between the back of the seat and the box. Top 'em off and see what you get. No disappointment, I think. And still got good floor space, 2.
Me '04 has the grav I. I fill 'it' up and place 1 of the twins between it and the box and usually more than enough, right? When we really want to weigh 'er down, we'll put the other twin in the walkway in the bow. Geez, she does as good as that SuperAir fer 20k less. 20 - 22 mph.
Hope this helps
B

danimal365
02-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks Buttafewcoe, Is it summer yet?

NCSUmoomba
02-09-2008, 03:01 PM
I have a 2001 Outback DD, and here is my ballast set up. One 750# Fat Sac (mostly full) in the rear ski locker, one 250# Fat Sac (full) in the floor between the motor box and the rear seat (mine doesn't raise up) , and two 250# Fat Sacs (mostly full) up front, one under each bow seat. That gives mie about 1200-1300# of weight with only one Fat Sac in the floor. Of course I have had to get creative on where to store things since my storage areas are full of Fat Sac's now, but it is better than tripping over and/or slipping on the Fat Sacs. Hope this helps.

Buttafewcoe
02-09-2008, 05:15 PM
The new ones are not post to handle that much weight in the back storage area.
150# tops, frum wot I've been led (zeppelin) to believe.
Hope this helps
B

Buttafewcoe
02-09-2008, 05:22 PM
I hear ya hidden.....come out where we can see ya.
:p
B

danimal365
02-14-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm looking for ballast setup for wakeboarding. I'm gonna get the 2 440#s that b suggested. Do i need any more in the bow? or just fill with friends and beer.

Buttafewcoe
02-14-2008, 08:17 PM
The bow ballast is directed more toward the V drives. (motor and weight in the back, balanced by adding a little weight in the bow).
The DD with the mid engine can use weight in the stern w/o having to counterbalance in the front....up to a point.
I get 3-4 of me buds, the 48 qt. cooler, and the grav 1 and the one 440# usually handles it pretty well.
btw.....those 2 440#'s fit very nice back there. Been there done that.
Hope this helps
B

Hydrofoiljunky
02-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Hey guys, new to the forum but wondering if someone can help me out. I'm kinda at a crossroads. I'm really considering buying an 08' outback V, but here the dilemma. My Local dealer says they wont' be getting any in that aren't sold already, so basically that means they won't order a boat to have for you too look at. I said What the **************? How do you expect ppl to buy a boat sight unseen? But ppl are doing it. I know it's to keep cost down which I understand but I don't really feel the need to drive 6 hrs just to look at boat that I might not buy. Anyways, we live in a very rural area and are lucky to even have a dealer close like this. I'm wondering Can anyone send me some pictures of their outback V? Like different angles of the interior? Can you really fit 10 ppl in one comfortably or maybe 11 or 12 uncomfortably? :lol: This would help me out immensely. I don't know, maybe I just don't have enough faith to buy a boat without looking at. I commend you guys who have had the cahones to do that. If you could post here or send to my email [email protected] I would greatly appreciate it. Thanx in advance.

bobwells
02-23-2008, 10:23 PM
heres why I want a V-drive, this is this afternoon, 2- 400's in back, a 250 to offset me driving and most of the time my son's begging me to let him put another 250 in the walk-thru... I look like a monkey riding a football trying to move around in the boat. likes more fuel like this too :(

http://img257.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jitlakemisc035wx2.jpg

axel_T
04-19-2008, 09:31 PM
have a 07 outback and need a prime ballast setup...usually ride with 3-4 in boat...thanks for the help

Buttafewcoe
04-20-2008, 04:21 AM
howdy a,
tell ya what.....
Get you the twins (440# straight line bags). That'll give you almost 900#.
Put yer backseat up so's it's makes the sunpad. Place both the bags in a position horizontal (perpendicular) to the motor box, behind the box in between the back of the seat and the box. Top 'em off and see what you get. No disappointment, I think. And still got good floor space, 2.
Me '04 has the grav I. I fill 'it' up and place 1 of the twins between it and the box and usually more than enough, right? When we really want to weigh 'er down, we'll put the other twin in the walkway in the bow. Geez, she does as good as that SuperAir fer 20k less. 20 - 22 mph.
Hope this helps
B

drewdwn
04-20-2008, 08:57 AM
I have an 05 DD outback. Its a very fine line with rope length ,speed and weight. I use the 1200 lbs sofa seat in the back and a 400 lbs bag in the walkway. This set up uses a lot of space but we get a nice clean big wake. You need to watch the wake and shift people around for maximum wake. Always move people to the washout side