PDA

View Full Version : TN Lakes

rvette
02-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Long time looker, first time poster. Let me start by saying that I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of my 06 Outback.
We visited Dale Hollow Lake and Center Hill Lake last year, loved them both but I hear that Center Hill is experiencing dam seepage much like Lake Cumberland.
I visited the local boat show recently and picked up a brochure on Douglas Lake in TN. Has anyone spent time here? What can you tell me about it? (good and bad)
I also picked up info on Patoka Lake in IN if anyone knows anything about that one.

Thanks.
rvette

volfo
02-08-2008, 03:38 PM
If you are in Ohio, I'd suggest you consider Norris Lake. It is in Northeast Tennessee and lots of folks come down there from Cincinnati, i hear. We spent a week there in June 06 in the New Tazewell area (upper part of the lake) and pretty much had the lake to ourselves. You can rent a house with a dock and keep your boat right there. The only downside I saw was that it was pretty rural and remote, about a 30 minute drive to "town" which was not much of a town. Also, I could not believe that 2 of the marinas we found had what could only be described as trailer parks on water. Never seen anything like it. Took one day hiking at Cumberland Gap, which is near the KY/VA border. A 30 minute hike to a spot you can stand in TN, KY and VA at the same time.

Water levels at Center Hill are expected to be down for about 5 years. My understanding is that it will be near winter levels year round. Not sure what it will be like, I understand this fall some of the marina's ramps were high and dry and some were pouring long extensions. We boat a good bit at Center Hill and I would describe the upper part of Norris Lake as very similar, but everything is bigger and less crowded. We called it Center Hill on steroids.

rvette
02-09-2008, 10:57 AM
volfo,
Thanks for the info on Center Hill and Norris Lake. I know several people that use Norris quite a bit, so many that I thought it might be overcrowded. I have been to Flat Hollow Marina and seen the floating houses, they seem to be quite popular.

volfo
02-09-2008, 12:55 PM
I haven't spent much time on Norris - just that one week. As I said, we were in the upper part of the lake, rented a cabin in the New Tazewell area, and the lake was virtually empty. We got there on a Sunday and stayed until Friday, but we would go out for 4 to 5 hours at a time and often never see another boat. One day we ran into another group wakeboarding. We just went on by around the next bend and again had the lake to ourselves. In the evening, you'd typically see one or two little fishing boats going somewhere, that was about it. That was early June. I imagine it is much busier the closer to Knoxville (and the dam) you get. We were a long, long way from teh dam

As for Center Hill, my experience is that it is much busier than Norris, but still pretty nice, especially the further away from the dam you get. Norris is pretty remote - Center Hill is also but it is a fairly short drive from nashville so you get a lot of people from there on the weekends.

rvette
02-09-2008, 03:23 PM
When we went to Center Hill 2 yrs in a row. We did most of our boating near Lakeside Resort, Sligo Marina and Hurricane Marina. It was very quiet and peaceful both times until the weekend. Because of the sitaution with the dam we are looking for another lake option.
Sounds like the New Tazewell area would be a great one. I will research that area. Thanks again.

Buttafewcoe
02-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Sligo.......me mom lives in Smithville just down the road going west on 70.
I kinda like it myself.
B

bamaspiveys
02-09-2008, 05:46 PM
We stay at Ragland Bottom a few weekends a year, I am interested to see how their ramp looks. We also put in at hidden harbor when we make day trips. I was talking to them at the boat show and they have completed their move around the corner and extended the ramp.

Last year was my first year on center hill, do you really think the lower water will make a big difference in the skiing? That lake is so deep, I just dont see it making a big difference?

We were also looking at norris lake, also worried that it would be crowded, given the proximity to knoxsville.

We need to get a moomba gathering at center hill this summer, I am so ready to get going!

Buttafewcoe
02-10-2008, 12:26 AM
There's a cliff on the other side of the bridge across from Sligo. Jumped off that several times back in the day. Know where I'm talking about?
B

rvette
02-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Buttafewcoe- saw the cliff you are referring, you're a brave sole. Also saw a bad accident on the bridge that crosses there one rainy day.

Bamaspiveys- the lower water level shouldn't hurt skiing. There are some beautiful falls that you used to be able to get to by boat, the lower water level prohibits that. It was great to throw anchor near those and waste the day away.

volfo
02-11-2008, 05:46 PM
I don't think the lower water levels will hurt much but it might look ugly as you will probably be able to see the dirt "bottom" exposed for a bit. I had trouble loading at 4 Seasons, even with the old extension, because of the slope. When my nose was full up all the way on the trailer, the rear of the boat was still floating. had to hold onto the pole, try to keep it centered, and pull out real, real s-l-o-w. That's what happens when the trailer is at a 45 degree angle and the boat is still floating!

Now when the lake finally fills back up there will be all sorts of crap floating all over that lake for awhile. That is the season you may have to really be careful. It's already bad up there when it rains hard with stuff floating in the water hte next day.

Buttafewcoe
02-12-2008, 05:35 AM
WAS a brave soul.....afraid the old bod wouldn't handle it now a days
B

bamaspiveys
02-15-2008, 10:43 PM
I do not know the cliff but I will look for it.

There was a cliff we jumped of of on lake martin north of Montgomery, AL when I lived there. 60 to 70 feet been a while may be off 10 feet

it was called Chimney Rock

on holiday weekends there would be 100 boats all tied together watching fools jump. One guy put a snack bar on his pontoon boat.

Oh those were the days!!!!! Young and dumb!