PDA

View Full Version : web cam of the factory?

yearround
02-06-2008, 07:34 PM
i have a friend who had a big houseboat built for him. they gave photo updates of the progress of the boat. i understand the big boat took about 6-8 months to complete. they tell me my moomba will take about three weeks.

previously a SC rep extended an invite to visit the factory. i would love to visit and see how it's made (a pretty good show on Discovery IMO). i really do not think a trip to TN is possible. i think it would be great if SC would put a camera up, or even post a daily pic or two of the workings of the factory.

i just might catch a glimpse of my boat, or Zeg's, or some other lucky new buyers ride.

thanks

MasterMind3002
02-06-2008, 08:39 PM
I think the factory webcam is a great idea

zabooda
02-07-2008, 03:38 AM
I would think sending someone still pictures of their boat being built would be beneficial to the buyer. I had a car repaired where they sent pictures and it kept me updated and so I didn't bother the shop.

Cameras are a different story. There are labor issues with having cameras watching workers. Innocent as cameras may be for buyers they also reveil production processes that the competition can use.

I can't tell you the times I have taken tours through facilities and found safety issues. It's good to have an extra set of eyes looking after each other in the work place but guests (viewers) and inspectors should not be the ones finding the problems.

yearround
02-07-2008, 10:45 AM
i agree with you zabooda, i don't really want to see them live in action. that would violate me. my intention here would be to gey a daily still shot, like your car thing.

hope they can find someway to do this! i am sure SC understands our excitement for their product.

MasterMind3002
02-07-2008, 08:52 PM
They could put a webcam in an area that doesn't disclose any trade secrets. Like where they roll the boats off the line or tank test them. I'm sure many out there are as fasinated as I am by the production process.

It would be a very cool addition to the site.

Just my humble opinion as a 2 time Moomba buyer. 8)

Sled491
02-07-2008, 10:29 PM
What ever the issues are, I really like the idea.

MasterMind3002
02-13-2008, 11:02 PM
Just a little update. I spoke with one of the Moomba Reps at the Ft Wayne, Indiana boat show. He is based out of Indy. My dealer introduced us and I ran the idea of the webcam by him. He said that the only area they are concerned with regarding trade secrets would be R&D. He told me that reps from other manufacturers tour the factory all the time.

I say we need a factory webcam!!

8)

yearround
02-14-2008, 12:08 AM
Master, thanks for checking on this.

i still agree with that! lets at least get a series of daily pics. my boat was started on feb 6. it would be nice to know where it is, what it is looking like.

when my wife was pregnant were were able to get occasional pics of our children. we could even tell if it was going to be a boy or girl. is this even similar?

i am looking forward to the daily webcam/pic page.

Sled491
02-14-2008, 12:32 AM
I still love the idea, but might be easier said than done. Listening to Ed G just getting a new Wakesurf section up on this board is like pulling teeth

Sled491
02-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Say Ed, how was the pay and benifits :lol:

MasterMind3002
02-14-2008, 07:40 PM
yearround, I just finalized the colors and options for my 08. My spray date is early March for April delivery. I'd love to have a picture record of my boats construction. I trade every year and that would be an awesome extra to pass on to the next buyer.

Hey Ed, I still think its a great idea. I'm not asking for high def here. Not even closeups. Just a shot of the factory from a corner or overhead so we can get an idea of the process.

They could just put it in the back room and pay a few hotties in bikinis to walk by it all day!! :shock:

yearround
02-14-2008, 10:00 PM
MM, a few stills during construction, that what i would like!

but as was said, if Ed can't get a wakesurf forum, how can we get a cam?

guess we will be like my kids and keep asking, can we get a surf forum? can we get a still shot? can Ed include January in the lobster dinner?

Miller_Time
02-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Sorry to high jack, but Ed any progress on a wakesurf forum? I really want to get into surfing and it'd be great to have a place on the board to go and get some help on it.