PDA

View Full Version : wilmington,NC

drewdwn
02-06-2008, 11:15 AM
I currently live in Wisconsin and might be moving to wilmington NC. I cant wait to be able to board almost all year compared to only 4 months. Does anyone no of places to ride and any shops or good marinas? I have an 05 outback that I will be takeing down there. Any info would be great, thanks

Buttafewcoe
02-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Wilmington is way east of me. Right by the ocean. I've been on the U.S.S. North Carolina and saw the gators that hang out by there. Don't really know the area intimately. But I do know it's not far from Mertle Beach, a real party spot, esp during Spring Break and over the major holidays (4th of July, Labor Day, etc.)
I get much past Winston-Salem going east and I get lost. Sorry
B

NCSUmoomba
02-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Most folks I know that live in that area ride in the NE Cape Fear River. It is just outside of Wilmington and being a river, that water is smooth most of the time, and it is fresh water. A few people ride in the Intracoastal Waterway, but it is saltwater and can be windy, rough, and busy with boat traffic. Hope this helps.

Sled491
02-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Wow, Drewdwn, we were just thinking of moving to NC from WI ourselves. What is your reason for moving? We would be closer to Butta maybe even too close for comfort :lol:

Buttafewcoe
02-08-2008, 06:46 AM
Hey now, I heard that.
I'm a transplant from Detroit, and lived outside of Kenosha for a couple months in '77. And even stayed in Millwauki for the IMTS in Chicago in '94 (don't ask me why, it was the Boss's idea).
I've found that NC has basically 2 and a half seasons; Summer, Winter, and a little something in between each. It was 76 degrees here this past Tuesday. High's lately have been in the upper 50's and lower 60's. Not a heat wave, but I ain't freezing me arse off either.
North Carolina is a great place to live.
B

drewdwn
02-08-2008, 10:25 AM
We are possibly moving because of the weather here and we have some friends in NC. I would have moved a long time ago but found someone here and its taking some convincing to get her to move away from her parents.

This may be a stupid question but i'm from wisconsin so bare with me, what about the crocs in the water, do they bother riders?

Buttafewcoe
02-08-2008, 03:24 PM
I imagine they would, if n you got to close to 'em
B

Sled491
02-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Funny, my wife wants away from the cold as well. But the reason I moved to the States over a decade ago now was because she couldn't bare to move away from her family. Now 3 kids later and just a touch older (I say that in case she ever reads this) and wiser, she just wants away from the cold. I've done quite a bit of work in Statesville over that last couple of years sometimes being there for months at a time, and we were thinking about moving our operations there for convienence sake. I've visited both Hickory and Charlotte quite a few times and like the area. I mean try to get football tickets in Green Bay on the 50 yd line 5 rows up, just isn't happening. I was also at first taken by Lake Norman, but like they say size isn't everything. :lol: