PDA

View Full Version : 6 more weeks of winter

SEARK
02-02-2008, 09:54 AM
PUNXSUTAWNEY, Pa. - Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow Saturday, leading the groundhog to forecast six more weeks of winter.

Well, it's official. I hate to be the bearer of bad news :lol: .

Buttafewcoe
02-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Hogwash!!!!....actually 'groundhog wash'!!!!....I'll be out on the river come 1st week of March. I may have to drain the block a time er two by April, But we'll have 70's + days, I'm sure. I'm jones-in and am ready fer the boating season to begin.
B

SEARK
02-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Butta,

I'm with ya. Come the 1st week of March I'll be itch'n to go. Shoot, I'm itch'n now. I'm not goin to let a rodent dictate my lake time.

moombadaze
02-02-2008, 01:36 PM
i cant wait also, just got my surfboard and new kneeboard and balast bags last night---cant wait for the water to warm up a little, well maybe next weekend will be long enough to wait. :lol:

gotta love florida

stacy

hiqualityH2O
02-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Sad thing is that giant rat is probably more accurate than our local weather geek!

yearround
02-03-2008, 12:30 AM
waiting for the water to warm up? I'm waiting for it to get soft! we'll be riding when the as soon as we can get all the hard spots out. no worries about the winter forecast.

bobwells
02-03-2008, 06:47 PM
we rode today, me & bride in boat... josh boarding. 70's air temp, water like glass, much nicer than yesterday, kinda breezy and chill factor... lake temp is still hi 50's - lo 60's I'm guessing. (temp meter on bass boat acting up) I'm really starting to jones for some warm weather/water... spring is coming and I cant wait ! on another note I found a beautiful 24' ssv Supra I'd love to bring in the spring with but finances aint lining up :cry: every time we go out and have to fill the floor of boat with sacs and can barely walk around it makes me long for a V drive. It'll happen Lord willing , in His time. so for now we'll just phatsac up and pull kids, de-sac and me and mama can cruise... we are blessed... :) life is good :wink:

bobwells
02-03-2008, 06:53 PM
hey butta, when your just going to have an over-night freeze and not a long extended run of sub-freezing temps why not just put you a 100 watt bulb in bilge with a cheapo reflector ? this is what I do when we have those dips into 20's or teens. I usually will run two bulbs in case one goes out, but it keeps it toasty warm in engine compartment. red-neck winterizing I guess... :wink:

Buttafewcoe
02-04-2008, 09:21 AM
I did that light bulb thing last winter. I figgered draining the block and manifolds and keeping the intake valve closed on the ballast fills was enough to keep something bad from happening. So far so good, though. I ain't had her out since November. And we did have that snap where it was in the teens.
That reminds me, I need to put the battery charger on for a few hours.
B

BensonWdby
02-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Our ice does not normally go off till the first week in April. No dry suit. so instead I am headed to Ski Paradise in Acapulco in April. I am guessing the water is a little softer there that time of year ...

Dave

smokedog2
02-04-2008, 01:15 PM
yes well, I got the news and skipped town for Mexico. I've been on the beach for 5 days. In fact, I'm on the beach now. My biggest problem is ditching my sister. She wants me to do yoga.

Frustrate the rodent - head south!

I've been running north on the beach. Nude beach to the south. I think today I'm going to run south. It is a particularly warm day.

We are at the Azul beach Club/resort something, my wife and sister set it up. We have not done anything, no old rock piles, not jungle force marches. Nothing, I love it. If I had a few more days I might go fishing or diving but the R&R has been great.

Well, back to doing nothing. I'm feeling slightly over exerted here.

Stay warm :lol: :lol:

SD2

GeauxTigers
02-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Bring the 35 mm digital on the next jog.

:mrgreen:

wakevet
02-06-2008, 01:05 AM
enjoying the 'water flat as glass' in Feb??? it was -50 C here last week! we're lucky to be on 'liquid' lakes in April around here. my new outback V is supposed to be here end of March. I wonder if there is an icebreaker attachment for the front of a moomba?!! :wink:

GeauxTigers
02-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Grass?? I can't even see my grass under two feet of snow in my yard! Today,I had to shovel out a path and a clearing for our poor dog to go out in the yard and do her #2's. She was struggling finding a clear spot until I did that.

zegm
02-06-2008, 04:43 PM
More winter!!!! More of these cool 70 degree days! I can't stand it! My boat will be here in March! Where is the 95 degree days I love so much!!!!

GeauxTigers
02-07-2008, 11:47 AM
LOL! I would kill for a 70 degree day right now. We have a storm coming in that is supposed to dump 3-6 inches in the valley and up to a foot in the mountains.
Great skiing weather!

zegm
02-07-2008, 08:44 PM
I guess I spoke to soon, the Navy is sending me to Rhode Island next week for a meeting! What type of clothing is required to go North of the Florida Line?

Mikey
02-07-2008, 10:03 PM
I get a laugh or two when i read how tough some of you have it and your complaints as to your weather.Up here in Southern Alberta Canada,No we do NOT have IGLOO's but it has been COLD. -31 with wind chill of -52 that frigggin cold. We always get a laugh when we go on vacations to places like California/Vegas etc and we are the ones wearing tshirts and shorts and locals are wearing parkas /fur coats etc. We look at them and viceversa and say those people are crazy. Anyways just my 2cents worth. We all have pretty much the same goals /to get out in our boats. As soon as ice is off the lake us diehards with wet/ drysuits will be out and playing and all will be good again. Keep up with your stories it still makes interesting reading. 8) :lol:

zegm
02-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Well actually I am only going for a meeting leaving here Tuesday and leaving there Wednesday afternoon. I will pack some clothes though! I am going to meet with another military contractor.

jmvotto
02-08-2008, 11:21 PM
GT had to take my winter blues out skiing in Park City, utah went to PC powder cats, snow cat skiing on 42,000 acres of virgin snow, what an awsome experience . skiis in the winter and boarding in the summer.

www.pccats.com

crazy rodent won't slow me down, crappy winter in North East though

8)

yearround
02-09-2008, 05:49 PM
in January, we drove 600 miles round trip to get to soft water at Utah's Lake Powell, spent a bunch of money on renting a beater boat for a day, but we got a few good rides in, only saw one other boat, and the water was not too cold. (we used butta's thermometer but i had neo socks on.

maybe next year we can take a flight to one of my new brothers places in florida? would probably be cheaper.

usually the water gets soft by the end of Feb for a first ride. now this rodent thing could really slow things up.

i have decided to make an offering to the water gods. i will not cut any hair until the first ride, at which time i will shave head and face as my offering to the gods. think it will do any good?

SEARK
02-09-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm start'n to think the rodent may be wrong. It has been a beautiful weekend so far. Needs to be a little warmer though before I hit the water.

04OUTBACK
02-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Seark... come on .. be tough.. I am going with a guy on Eagle Lake today. I may freeze my BUTT off.. he has a dry suit..I'll only be in a 3/2 Spring suit... may only ride once before I call it@

SEARK
02-10-2008, 10:04 AM
04 Outback,
It's not a matter of thoughness, ok maybe it is. I don't own a wetsuit or dry suit so if I went now I would freeze my, uh, feet off. 20 years ago I wouldn't think twice about it, I'd be out there. I may get the boat out this afternoon so it can air out a little.

04OUTBACK
02-10-2008, 10:27 AM
I pulled mine out yesterday and put a new surfboard rack on it, installed some led lighting, and sat in it liatening to tunes. Even got a sunburn. It was nice. The guy I am going with at eagle keeps his in heated garage and has ridden all through dec and january. I went dec 8 with him but that was it for me. Unfortunately, water is about 50 now. It was 60 in dec. Ouch.

GeauxTigers
02-10-2008, 12:53 PM
[quote="yearround"]in January, we drove 600 miles round trip to get to soft water at Utah's Lake Powell, spent a bunch of money on renting a beater boat for a day, but we got a few good rides in, only saw one other boat, and the water was not too cold. (we used butta's thermometer but i had neo socks on.

/quote]

What was the water temp?
I am going in April. You think it will be warm enough for everyone (kids, wife?)

yearround
02-10-2008, 05:03 PM
GT,
the water was about 45 and the air was the same. we use a heat index by adding the air and water temp. we like to be at 100 or higher. the coldest was last thanksgiving when the air was 20 and the water was 38. when i figure out how to post pics, i will show the ice drips from the wakeboard rack!

the earliest we have been down with the family was the 1st week of june. the water was at 72. the water was a bit cool to hang out in. we did more hiking and things than later in the summer, but the air was not the scorching 115 like in august.

check this site for water data http://lakepowell.water-data.com/ look at the daily averages since filled, it looks like the avg water temp for april is between 56 and 58.

so, i think that the water will be cool for the family, i would not bother with the water tramp, they won't be playing that much.

are you going with a house boat, boat camping, or car camping?

before the water got too low, we would camp in north bullforg bay. lately we have been staying in Stanton creek because i live in CO. my Dad would prefer to go to wahweep, but i would basically have to pass BF to get there.

i am trying to get the family to go the first week of april for spring break, but they want to go to san diego. i think i will lose this one because we are going in july also.

04OUTBACK
02-10-2008, 11:00 PM
Yearround..
Love your water Heat index... but I like to more of of the 130+
We went today.. Airtemp 70 water +/- 60 (at least at the surface)..
I was in a 3/2 wetsuit... everyone else had drysuits and neo hoods... I ragged them a little about the drysuits.. (yeah, really I was Jealous!) especially when I fell...

zegm
02-10-2008, 11:18 PM
It was 70 in Madison today!!??!!
I have never seen a wetsuit or a drysuit here? I guess our season is long enough that people just don't go out now! It was in the 70's today and there were a lot of bassboats out! But I am a cold water wuss! My rule is the first day of June I will get in the water. I even have a heated pool here and that might sound crazy! Now the kids!!!!! Ok the purple lip syndrome is fine for them. But again this is in late April when they go!

04OUTBACK
02-10-2008, 11:26 PM
I am guessing you'll break the June 1 rule when the LS comes in!
70 air=nice
>60 water...not as nice... but was better than not getting out.. I have been depressed since October....when I had to put the boat up early...
This group I went with today are diehards... rode all through December and January..
BW

zegm
02-10-2008, 11:45 PM
outback,

I will definetly take her out, I just won't get in the water, old age makes the bones hurt worse especially when they are cold!!! Our kids baby sitter and great friend of our family moved from Panama City Florida where she grew up to Madison a couple of years ago. You know she met a boy on the beach but anyway I will have to find out what restaurant she works at during the night and if you are ever there you can tell her hi! She is nice eye candy! And during the day she works for the payroll company for Hooters! BUT she does not work there! Some pizza or Italian place!

04OUTBACK
02-11-2008, 01:37 AM
Zegm. small world.. find out where... I eat out too often not to have been there!

BW