PDA

View Full Version : Boat break in

ajmoritz17
01-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Just curious what the break in of a new boat requires. Tips, how may hours before first oil change? Can I wakeboard right away?
________
TXR312M (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Aprilia_TXR312M)

qb12
01-30-2008, 10:43 AM
the break in procedure should be in your owners manual.

i have Always changed the oil at 10 hrs then 50 ours after that.

Buttafewcoe
01-30-2008, 12:13 PM
I'd break it in b4 doing any boarding or skiing. The idea of the break-in is to not hold a constant speed, i.e. rpm's up and down quite a bit to seat wearing components inside the engine. Of course if you fall off the board alot, that may qualify :lol: .....jk
Hope this helps
B

bamaspiveys
01-30-2008, 02:04 PM
I like that buttafewcoe. Did not think about it that way when I was breaking mine in last year. We put 10 hours on it riding around the lake, trying not to keep the rpms at one level for more than 10 minutes at a time. The owners manual has some strick guidelines, read that and try to stick to it, but it is tough. This is my third inboard and I just take it easy for those first 10 hours.

It is really important in my opinon to have a dealer do that 10 hour check up and change all the filters, it is expensive but you just spent a lot of money on a boat and you want it to last!

Also at 50 hours get the oil changed again.

ajmoritz17
01-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the help! i just found the manual under "resource library" so yea everything i need is right there!
________
og kush (http://trichomes.org/marijuana-strains/og-kush)

MasterMind3002
01-30-2008, 09:30 PM
My dealer suggested 10 hours of break-in. The first 5 or 6 we just cruise around........then we take it easy with light boarding and skiing until 10 hours.

Hold down the WOT running and try not to run constant speeds for the first 10 hours.

The dealer schedule says 25 hours for the first oil change. By then the pylon and tower bolts are ready for tightening too. I also have them check and tighten the steering components.

Chefwong
01-31-2008, 02:31 PM
....It will be the longest 10 hours of your life!

I've had to go through it twice, it never gets easy. You bouce in the drivers seat iching to get behind it the whole time, but you gotta do it.

flaswaliba
01-31-2008, 04:49 PM
My dealer suggested 10 hours of break-in. The first 5 or 6 we just cruise around........then we take it easy with light boarding and skiing until 10 hours.

Hold down the WOT running and try not to run constant speeds for the first 10 hours.

The dealer schedule says 25 hours for the first oil change. By then the pylon and tower bolts are ready for tightening too. I also have them check and tighten the steering components.

What do you mean by "constant". Is that more or less 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc? What's the recommended cruising speed?

matt

MasterMind3002
01-31-2008, 07:43 PM
Hi flaswaliba

The manual says:

The three (3) most important aspects of new engine breakin
are:
1. Avoid running engine at high speeds.
2. Do not carry a heavy load (passengers, gear, etc.).
3. Vary your boat speed during break-in, do not run at the
same RPM for a long period of time.

BREAK-IN STEPS
- For the first hour, do not exceed 2,000 RPM.
- For the second hour, do not exceed 3,000 RPM.
- For the next five hours, do not exceed 4,000 RPM.

BREAK-IN TIPS
- Avoid fast accelerations and do not carry (or pull) a
heavy load during this period.
- Always let engine warm up gradually before
acceleration.
- Check oil frequently. During the first 50 to 100
hours, an engine can use more oil than usual. Maintain
oil at a proper level at all times (do not overfill).
- Monitor transmission fluid levels.
- Report abnormal noises or vibrations to your dealer.
- Keep an eye out for loose mountings, fittings, nuts,
bolts, and clamps.

They aren't very specific about how long is too long.
Hope this helps.

ChefWong is right too............its the longest 10 hours you can imagine. :D

flaswaliba
01-31-2008, 08:44 PM
Mastermind, your reiteration of the manual's break in instructions makes me a little concerned about how the marina rep who was out with us last weekend for a test drive drove the boat. The boat we test drove is the boat that I would be purchasing, 08 LSV Decked out Black and Brittany Blue.

I currently have a DD Sport Nautique with no ballast, so I wanted to see how the boat would perform with the bags full, and I wanted to see what the wake looked like with the bags full. Obviously we didn't ride with them full for very long. I also wanted to see what the wake looked like at 32mph since my wife and I both ski and wakeboard. Here's where my concern lies: On the way back to the dock, the rep had the boat at WOT. The hour meter was reading ~1.6 hours. I asked him three or four times if running it at WOT with the engine not being broken in is good for it to which his response was "Aw it's fine; it'll be okay." I'm wondering should I purchase this model, which is the exact same boat I would build for myself, or should I have the dealer order me one with 0 hours?

matt

MasterMind3002
02-01-2008, 12:08 AM
I copied and pasted that information directly from the manual. Thats the manufacturers official take on break-in.

Here is reality. I know a guy that buys a new boat every year. They unload the boat from the trailer, run it wide open to the pier, load the family up and take it skiing. They have never had an issue.

I've never seen the test guys at Skiers Choice actually test run a new boat.......but they do test run each and every boat they build according to this website. If I remember they tank test and lake test them. My 07 showed up at the dealership with 1 hour on the meter. I'm betting they don't keep them under 2000 rpm. 8) I'm betting they open them up.

I would buy the boat, break it in easy and not worry. Worst case you can always fall back on the new 4 year warranty.

Just my humble opinion.

lowdrag
02-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Although it's not mentioned, running numerous heat cycles instead of trying to get all your break in done in large blocks isn't a bad idea either.

zegm
02-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Being an engineer contracted to the US Navy I had to buy a Evinrude E-TEC 60Hp engine for a Zodiac this past summer. I took it out and the first 30 minutes it would not rev high at all. I didn't have a tach so I am not sure what the actual RPM was but it was low and I was wondering what was wrong with the engine. About 30 minutes later I noticed it reving a little more. The next day I noticed that same thing after another 30 minutes. I have not checked on this but I think the break in is programmed into the E-TEC computer so that no matter what I do the engine will run a break in program on its own so the owner doesn't have to worry about it. Now the thing will fly!

MasterMind3002
02-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Thats possible zeg. I was told by my dealer last year that they can hook your Indmar engine up to a laptop and view stats on how you used your boat. How much idling, WOT and so on.

Jesse, the service mgr from my dealer, diagnosed a pedal position sensor issue on my boat. He had a laptop hooked up to it and had Larry from Indmar on the cell phone. The replacement parts were ordered before we docked and less than 24 hours later it was fixed.

Gotta love technology and Bell Marines service.

zegm
02-02-2008, 10:52 PM
I have an OBD II that I use to see why the check or service engine lights come on in my vehicles. I am sure that this is a part of that system since it is from the old Chevy 350 engine and it was mandated by the EPA for all cars sold in the USA. I just wonder how much memory is needed or if it erases it after a period of time.