PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever buy the Moomba Guide Pole covers?

AaronWhitt82
01-26-2008, 12:41 AM
Hey guys I was looking at the Gear on the site. I want to purchase some items to get ready for Spring.
I like the looks of the Moomba "Custom" Guide Pole covers. Just wondering if any of you own a pair of them? The price seems kind of steep.
Can any of you tell me what they are made of? They look like there's just a Nylon cover over a piece of tubed styrafoam.
Thanks,
Aaron

TL7
01-26-2008, 01:32 AM
I don't have any, but I'd like them. I tried to get my dealer to throw some in, but they wanted to charge me $40 for them. I can get a pair of plain ones from Overton's for half of that. I would have thought they would want to advertise, but I guess not. Seems like they would be included with all of the trailers.

Zihuatanejo
01-26-2008, 01:57 AM
The dealer I bought the boat my boat from threw in a pair with the boat. They are just nylon covers over a peice of foam.

AaronWhitt82
01-26-2008, 02:20 AM
They are just nylon covers over a peice of foam.

I figured thats all they were. I can't believe they want to charge almost $60 just for that! I could go to home depot and get some pipe insulation foam for a few bucks, and those nylon covers can't be that expensive to make. I'm sure your just paying for the name stamped on them.... I'm not trying to talk bad at all. They look really good and I like them, but man not sure I want to pay that much.

04OUTBACK
01-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Look on Ebay.. I got some there for my Outback trailer.. my LSV trailer came with the Moomba ones..
http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmarinextreme
These look pretty good for the money..

cab13367
01-26-2008, 01:00 PM
I bought generic ones from Overton's. Below is how they look installed.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/boat2.jpg

Sled491
01-26-2008, 10:54 PM
When I ordered my boat I took the apperance package and they came with. They are as Ed put rub rail savers. My wife drives the boat on about 95% of the time and about 80% of the time she slides up the Right one and the other 20% she slides up the Left one. I'm not sure we're going to get 4 yrs out of ours, but on the plus side there are no beauty marks on my stainless rub rail.

MasterMind3002
01-27-2008, 12:11 AM
I'm with sled..........I order the appearance package too and the covers are included.

They save wear and tear on the rub rails.

redmobius
01-27-2008, 11:56 AM
I had them on my 1999 trailer and did not like the ones with the white writing on them. I have black rub rail on my boat and it kept leaving marks on it when putting the boat back on the trailer. The marks were very difficult to remove from the rub rail. I now have a pair from wicked wakes that are solid black and over two years old with no fading. I would buy the plain black ones - just my 2 cents.

dj

moombadaze
01-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Ed where is your licence plate?

bamaspiveys
01-30-2008, 10:37 PM
I have a 2007 Outback, it is stored under a shed, and I put about 60 hours on it from May to September. The factory guide pole covers are already faded and gray. I am not impressed with them at all, I was considering buying a replacement pair, but at that price I will buy generics.

silverski
07-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Recycling an old post. Redmobius explained the same problem that I am having. An 05, stored in the garage where the covers have faded and now leave a white streak from the lettering on my rub rail. Very time consuming to get the marks off. I have searched Overtons and wicked wakes, but can't seem to find the product. Looking for just straight black covers with no lettering on them. Any suggestions on where to find them? Thanks

zegm
07-21-2008, 01:27 PM
silverski,

when I picked up our boat at Atlanta Marine they had replaced the moomba guide pole covers with Atlanta Marine covers. I then noticed a huge stack of Moomba Guide pole covers in the parts department. They are the ones they took off and replaced with theirs. You might want to try calling them and see if they will sell them cheaper than what they list for since they have so many.

www.atlantamarine.com

tlatoani
07-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Here are the Overtons pads: http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=74191&pdesc=Trailer_Guide_Pads_2_inner_dia&str=guide%20pads&merchID=1008&r=view

(search for guide pads) I just got mine...they are ok I guess for $30. Better than the old beatup ones that came on my used trailer.

jkendall79
07-21-2008, 02:24 PM
I bought my boat last September and my dealer gave me a pair, but they have already faded and turned grey. Might as well just get the cheaper one's from Overton's.

GeauxTigers
07-21-2008, 03:07 PM
silverski,

when I picked up our boat at Atlanta Marine they had replaced the moomba guide pole covers with Atlanta Marine covers. I then noticed a huge stack of Moomba Guide pole covers in the parts department. They are the ones they took off and replaced with theirs. You might want to try calling them and see if they will sell them cheaper than what they list for since they have so many.

www.atlantamarine.com (http://www.atlantamarine.com)

Z:
So your trailer advertises for them now??? LOL!

zegm
07-21-2008, 05:44 PM
GT,

Yeah my trailer has always advertised Atlanta Marine they are a great dealership!!!!
It was another dealer in another state that I had the issues with the engine. And NO I don't have that dealers guide poles on my trailer.
Atlanta Marine is the No.1 Moomba dealer in the USA and Lisa and Tim have always treated us Great!!!!! The problem is they are 6 hours away and it is not practical for me to take the boat there. However, I recommend them to anyone in our around Atlanta.

SoTX
07-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Well my boat came with them and they did not last long at all. My boat has the stainless steel rub rail with the screws about ever 10" or so. The nylon would get snaged by the ever so subtle edges of the screws. They did not last one summer. So what I do now is wrap the poles with the foam and use electrical tape. This sucks as well. I have to repair the pads after eack launch and trailering. Ihave been thinking of having a couple covers made out of cordura and see how it holds up.

Sled491
07-21-2008, 09:31 PM
I quess they were made to be throw away. I mean at the end of the day they are doing there job. Mine faded bad as was stated before, but at least no harm came to my boat. Let me know how those Cordura ones turn out

pickle311
07-21-2008, 11:18 PM
I have the stainless rubrail also and the covers got ripped the first time we took the boat out. It's been fine since though. If only my wife would drive straight. She seriously used to load the Outback much better than she does the LSV. I can't say anything though, she's better than me and I have yet to load or unload the LSV.

Sled491
07-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Pickle, ain't that the truth, I know what you mean about the wife.

Buttafewcoe
07-22-2008, 06:58 AM
The guide pole covers are a 'wear item'. I buy a set every other year, which reminds me...i need to order a couple.
B

Sled491
07-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Butta, that's kind of how I figureed it as well.

wolfeman131
07-22-2008, 03:57 PM
GT,

Yeah my trailer has always advertised Atlanta Marine they are a great dealership!!!!
It was another dealer in another state that I had the issues with the engine. And NO I don't have that dealers guide poles on my trailer.
Atlanta Marine is the No.1 Moomba dealer in the USA and Lisa and Tim have always treated us Great!!!!! The problem is they are 6 hours away and it is not practical for me to take the boat there. However, I recommend them to anyone in our around Atlanta.
I couldn't agree more with Zeg - Atlanta Marine is great. I dropped my '08 OBV off this morning for the 20hr service. All of the items I thought were minor were readily addressed by Kurt without a single protest.