PDA

View Full Version : Lead Weight?

ajmoritz17
01-25-2008, 02:26 PM
I've heard of people using Lead plates for weight. Anyone every try this? sound like a good idea to me Im thinking of getting four 50 # plates and putting them under the bow seats (that is if i even can I don't get my boat untill end of next month) Maybe some more under the rear seats as well.
any thoughs? Im sure youd have to secure them so they dont slide around. but it's gotta be better than using external pumps.
________
buy silver surfer (http://vaporizers.net/silver-surfer-vaporizer)

Buttafewcoe
01-25-2008, 02:34 PM
There are a few posts regarding the use of lead, concrete, sand, and other negative buoyancy ballast. If you swamp yer boat, at least the water type ballast will cancel itself out once submerged, but the lead will keep reaching for the bottom.
Hope this helps
B

04OUTBACK
01-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Adam,
Wait til you get the boat and try it out first.. If you have Gravity III and the wake is not big enough for you, switch out the rear bags for Fly High 750 lb bags.. i have 750s in mine but only fill completely for surfing. Wake is plenty good to me at about 400 in each bag.

ajmoritz17
01-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Thanx, Good points....I guess there is no reason to get trigger happy untill i see how it goes.
________
Harley-Davidson Model JD (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Harley-Davidson_Model_JD)

qb12
01-25-2008, 03:28 PM
I've heard of people using Lead plates for weight. Anyone every try this? sound like a good idea to me Im thinking of getting four 50 # plates and putting them under the bow seats (that is if i even can I don't get my boat untill end of next month) Maybe some more under the rear seats as well.
any thoughs? Im sure youd have to secure them so they dont slide around. but it's gotta be better than using external pumps.

you might look at pop-products.com.

i have the 10 bags @40lbs each. they are great for tweaking the wake.

JesseC
01-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is the weight rating on your trailer. I seem to remember a warning in the trailering/towing section about towing your boat with the ballast filled. With lead weights or sand you can not "empty" your tanks to trailer the boat. Personally I would not add anything that could not be removed quickly for trailering. I agree with Ed, stick with water, it will not take your boat all the way to the bottom!!!

smokedog2
01-25-2008, 09:08 PM
What Butta said.

Another problem is hauling the weight on the trailer, not the trailer, the boat stress crack from riding with the weight that will have you blaming SC cus the alternative is accepting a cup of your own stupid soup.

Sure you will be the ONLY guy that always moves the weight to the car.

I’ve seen cracked boats that I am pretty confident were caused by lead and blamed on the manufacturer.