PDA

View Full Version : kayaks

smokedog2
01-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Well I was at the boat show. The new boats are very nice, but I like the one I have.

I have the wife’s buy in to pick up a couple kayaks. The boat show has a Perception Prodigy 10 for $278 with a paddle and a Heritage featherweight 9.5 for $378, no paddle. I tried to get one of each with two paddles but the guy would not budge.

The prodigy is for lake exploring and the Heritage may see some use as a sneak boat. I’m way too old to whitewater. Does anyone have any experience with either manufacturer? How about the price?

I’ve got about a week to decide.

I spent most of my time chit chatting with George and distracting his salesmen.

tx

SD2

zegm
01-19-2008, 05:24 PM
We have 3 kayaks here, a 10ft, a 14ft Tandem Necky and a 17ft Necky touring. If you are new to the sport these kayaks will be fine. BUT you must get a good paddle. You don't have to worry about feathering the paddle when you use it now but the paddle will make a world of difference as we learned. A good paddle is going to cost you at least 100-120 dollars. And they also make womens paddles, my wifes paddle has a smaller diameter shaft.

edwindenijs
01-19-2008, 05:50 PM
When you buy a kayak and paddle there are a few things to keep in mind;

1 the longer the boat the better it goes in a straigt line;
2 is there a ruther under it so it is easyer to steer;
3 is there a tracking fin underneeth (only if there is no ruther);
4 the slimmer it is the more balance you need (but it's also faster!!);
5 ask good advice for the length of the paddle (only a few inch can make the difference in having fun or struggling around the lake;
6 the bigger the blade of the paddle the more power you need(YES THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND WOMEN BLADE);
7 the wheight of the boat.
8 is there a adjusable footrest and seat inside for more comfort
9 what material is it made of.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BUY!

zegm
01-19-2008, 07:10 PM
I thought about stating many of the issue you did and I am glad you took the time do help them out. I felt that since they were buying what I would call "beginner kayaks" that I would let the sport grab them and then they would desire an urge to learn more. I too like them spent 300 dollars on a 10 ft long boat that was almost 3 feet wide. I loved it!!! I didn't know that it was a stable but slow boat but I bought magazines I got on the internet and learned what I could and I paddled every chance I could. Then on my birthday a couple of years ago my wife surprised me with a 17 1/2 ft long Necky Lookshaw. Yes it is super fast, yes it has a rudder, yes it coasts a mile after each stroke and I love it. But it is very narrow and takes time to get used to rolling it on edge in a turn. You have to learn how to get in it one foot at a time. You have to have a spray skirt to keep the water out when you lean it. Had I not bought the "beginner boat" and learned the basics about kayaking before I went right into a serious Touring Kayak I probably would have taken it back to the dealer! And the funny thing is that the dealer who sold me my first boat said you must use a good paddle so I bought it. I still use the same paddle!!!

edwindenijs
01-25-2008, 06:24 PM
If your more comfortable with your boat. Ask your dealer for a wing model blade paddle, looks not just cool but is very effective. All top racers use it. A nice site to check out some boats, paddle, spraydecks and more is www.kajak.nl. although its a dutch company just for the ideas.

again have fun if I can help you with something (technic tips?) please let me now. I am quitte experienced with it.......