PDA

View Full Version : looking for new prop

freyse
01-19-2008, 12:58 AM
Looking for new prop or spare prop as I have dinged mine up this fall, it's actually in not bad shape but thought that I should look for another one. Should I stick with 3 blade or look at the 4 blade , we mostly ski and also wondering where to look for best deal,also need puller. Is a 05 outback L or R I know my boat has a 13X13 but don't see whether L or R?

maxpower220
01-19-2008, 01:27 AM
I recommend that you find a prop repair shop. They can fix just about anything and will tell you if they can't fix it. That service should fun less than $100. There are several places to purchase props and prop pullers online. If you have a prop repair shop near you, you may be able to borrow one, which is cheaper. As for 3 or 4 blade, many people have different opinions on this.

zabooda
01-19-2008, 02:18 AM
There are some good discussions on this subject and you just need to read some of the threads. I ski a lot and I think from reading on the subject and from experience that a three blade would work better than the 4 blade SS I have now.

04OUTBACK
01-19-2008, 11:02 AM
1" Spline and Left Hand
one option... go ahead and buy new one now.. get other prop repaired later for spare.. especially if you go with upgrade prop..

schwartzman
01-19-2008, 11:33 AM
I don't know of any repair shops in Sask, but there is one just north of Calgary. The last prop they repaired for me cost $130. Check their web site www.prop-masters.com . I have a 98 Outback and have a three blade 13x13 and the boat also came with a four blade 13x13. I have not used them back to back, but I could'nt say there was any difference.

zegm
01-19-2008, 01:37 PM
freyse,

You say dinged it up? Are there many stumps in your lake? If so I would shy away from a stainless prop because if you hit something again it will transmit more of the force up the driveshaft into the strut and engine. As far as getting it repaired it is no problem and you should be able to find someone near you. We pay 90 US dollars usually for a damaged prop around here. Much better than forking out 400 bucks for a new one!

deepcove
01-19-2008, 07:31 PM
I usually ding my prop and have to repair twice a year. I alternate between my original OJ 4 blade and an Acme 3 blade. Cost to repair is about $80.

zegm
01-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Then may I suggest you change your user name to "Shallowcove"!
We have a cypress stump near our dock. Before I was brave enough (there is an alligator that lives somewhere over in that area) to mark it with a piece of rebar and cover that with some pvc tubing we hit it twice!!! It used to be 60 dollars to get them repaired but the guy has gone up to 90 dollars. He gets almost all of the business in the Panama City area and when you go there you see brass props lying around up to 2 and 3 feet in diameter (shrimpers and charter boats). What seemed like a big prop turns might teeney when I hand it to him. I hate to see what those guys have to pay!

freyse
01-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Actually I did not hit nothing , what happened is I had my wife bring boat onto the lift and she went to far forward and the prop hit the lift . We don't have to worry about any stumps in our lake .I will give that place a call north of Calgary and by what I seem to be hearing I will stick with the 3 blade. What sights should I check out on the net for props , I think it will be cheaper to get one out of the States even with shipping and duty.
:D

MasterMind3002
01-19-2008, 09:56 PM
I've bought spare props from Bart's Watersports.

www.barts.com

It's been a few years since I've had to replace one but they carry a nice selection.

Sled491
01-20-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm pretty sure OJ props will deal directly with you in you situation. If your a skier stick with the 3 blade. I bought a 4 blade stainless last year after damaging my original CNC 3 blade and I don't like it for skiing.

I bought a puller last year from either Barts or Overtons for I think $80US.

Rae
03-18-2008, 07:55 PM
I bought a new 07 outback and don't pick it up till sometime in april if the snow ever goes away, is it worth upgrading to the cnc prop? This is my first inboard. Thanks Rae

Sled491
03-18-2008, 08:32 PM
The stock 3 blade is a CNC prop. I don't think you can even get a cast prop from SC.

zegm
03-18-2008, 08:32 PM
My understanding is that ALL the Moomba props are CNC (Computer Numerical Controled) machined vs. a cast prop. The tolerances are much tighter on a CNC prop vs a cast one so you end up with what the engineer put on the drawing. Your upgrade would consist of changing the pitch and/or number of blades depending on what you are going to use the boat for. I would think that since you bought an Outback it would come with the best prop for the job which would be skiing but if you are going to be wakeboarding then I suggest you call your dealer and speak to him about it. We just bought an LS with the 3 blade standard prop and did not upgrade to a different prop.

JoeTechie
03-18-2008, 08:58 PM
I think they went ALL CNC recently ('06/'07) - Weren't the '03-05 base outbacks shipped w/ cast 3-blades ?

-J

04OUTBACK
03-18-2008, 10:03 PM
RAE,
if you mostly Ski, stick with factory prop... if you want to wakeboard, look at the OJ XMP 11x13... I believe that is what the factory wake upgrade is now on the outbacks.. I had 04 Outback and dinged mine bad. LUCKILY, joe techie won one at the Moomba jamboree and made me a deal on it. Lost some top end speed, but towing hole shot was awesome.. Actually fussed at wife some at first for ripping me out of water.. realized she was driving normal, it was prop doing it!
I probably would not have upgraded other than since I bent it.. 13 x 13 was fine for most trips wakeboarding.. only when fully loaded did it feel any sluggish..

Rae
03-18-2008, 10:49 PM
In the optional equipment list it shows the 3 blade cnc prop is an option and 3 blade prop is standard if its worth the extra money or put it towards gas, but do you guys have a spare just incase?

04OUTBACK
03-18-2008, 11:21 PM
you are correct. I was referring to the upgrade wakeboard prop as the 3 blade 11x13..

zegm
03-19-2008, 06:38 AM
No I don't keep a spare, these things are Expensive! and I try not to damage it. If you do it can be easily repaired.

Sled491
03-19-2008, 08:51 PM
I keep a spare and a puller. Not in the boat mind you but I do have one.