PDA

View Full Version : 325 vs. 340

YellowMoomba0
01-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Anyone know if the 340 upgrade is worth it? Im considering selling my 04 Outback DD for the 08 Outback DD.

yearround
01-16-2008, 04:52 PM
I decided against the 340 upgrade. don't know the diference first hand, but the dealers i talked with were not able to sell me on the benefits beyond being a bit more eco-friendly. they say something about a bigger torque band?

i don't really think that would be too necessary on the outback. one did say it may be a bit more fuel efficient, but he described it as being about a 1/4 gph, probably not noticeable in the expected 5-6 gph.

don't really know other than CA emmissions, maybe someone wiht real knowledge can help?

cab13367
01-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Depends - how much is it to upgrade?

YellowMoomba0
01-16-2008, 04:59 PM
On the Boat Builder section of this website, it is a $1,495.00 MSRP cost for this upgrade

zegm
01-16-2008, 05:14 PM
That depends if a 4.5% power increase is worth 1500 bucks? I don't think I would be able to tell it. And since Horsepower ratings can vary up to 15% from engine to engine (the only vehicle I have seen where they actually check EVERY engines hp was when I took a Porsche plant tour and saw them building each engine by hand then checking EACH engine) then that can mean the power ratings can be all over the board. I would only get it if I HAD too (California?)!

Sled491
01-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Remeber I don't wakeboard or balast, but consider this. I'm 190lbs and ski a 66" double highwrap and my 325hp 07 Outback rips me out of the water no problems. If it were up to me I'd spend the 1600.00 on some cool options. But I've been shot down on this board before on my opinions about the 340hp upgrade 8)

deerfield
01-16-2008, 08:13 PM
YellowMoomba - I'm with Sled. I have an '07 Outback w/ 325. Plenty of power for anything we do behind our boat, and its a proven engine. Has performed flawless for us. - Deerfield

MasterMind3002
01-16-2008, 08:20 PM
I don't think the 340 is worth the extra money in the Outback. The LSV would be a different story. Its all about torque with the heavier boats and the 340 has the torque

zegm
01-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Not to disagree with anyone but torque comes from higher compression and cam profiles and of course displacement. Horsepower is a function of torque times rpm so if you can spin a certain amount of torque at a higher rpm you get more horsepower. An exhaust system has a certain back pressure and if you reduce this backpressure you are allowing the engine to breath better hence higher rpm then more horsepower (an engine is another version of an airpump). I would have to say that if this engine has higher torque then Indmar has either changed the cam profile or an injection map or both. And you also need high exhaust temps to get the CAT to light off so I would also bet that the engine is putting out higher temperatures due to a leaner mixture. It would be interesting to see the hp and torque vs. rpm graph for both engines. My other concern would be the cost of replacing the CATs especially if they are using a precious metal, I promise this will be much more than the regular exhaust system. The CATs on my BMW cost 1200 bucks each from the dealer!!!

smokedog2
01-16-2008, 10:36 PM
I vote definite waste on a DD. V-drive is tougher.

A friend with a Supra 22V has the 340 and it was probably a good Idea. Another friend with at 21V has the 325 and very little difference b/t the two. I’m not sure the 22V would keep up with my 05 LSV with the 325.

22’ & over I’d got 340. Otherwise, we all pull 6 kids on tubes and you cannot tell one ride from the other. The 22 empty has a very slight speed edge on my LSV on the straightaway (1-2 mph), but then, you are really racing tractors (not what they were built for).

The weight may help with surfing.

zegm
01-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Well unfortunately the V drive transfer case is going to cause a loss of power due to the fact that anytime you go through gears you lose power. I test drove an Outback V this past summer and it was not nearly as quick as my old MasterCraft with the Ford 351 in it. I noticed on skiboat magazine that the LS was clocked at 5 seconds to go from 0-30 and the V took 7 seconds. I am sure that is due to the transmission and the weight distribution.

lowdrag
01-17-2008, 02:52 AM
To me, the 15hp wouldn't really be worth the consideration for the price. If you take into account the power to weight ratio it really doesn't add up to much. The prop is where you're going to see any real gains in performance. I've got to agree with zegm. I'm not sold on the cats at all. Expensive to replace and I can't imagine that it wouldn't increase the temp in the engine compartment. There have been previous problems with vapor lock even on the newer fuel injected motors. I'm betting that all of these now use duel fuel pumps to overcome the issue. There have also been several people on the Supra boards who have had problems with the nylon hose fittings on the exhaust manifold failing and pumping the water circulating through the exhaust into the engine compartment. Indmar claimed this was a safety feature and that if the fitting failed, you would noticed the steam and figure out your boat was overheating. I'm betting those problems were related to the 340 and the increased exhaust temps.

maxpower220
01-17-2008, 05:39 AM
The descision that I made was 325. It usually isn't the best to get in on the beginning of any new technology in a vehicle (boat). I know it has been proven in cars, but what are the effects of boat storage and the water infused exhaust? I don't want to find out in 4-7 years in the form of a large repair bill. Information on the website makes it difficult to know all of the internal changes to the engine.

YellowMoomba0
01-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks for all of your replies. I currently have an 04 with the 310 hp / Carb. I am completely happy with its performance. 310 has all I have ever needed so 325 will be more than enough as well. I too am a bit leary of new technology so if I am able to go with an 08 I will probably stick to the 325 and get a few more options.