PDA

View Full Version : Mobius LS

keastr
01-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Long time listener first time caller.

Well the time has come. The wife got her bigger house, and now I am allowed to buy my boat. I have been researching the moomba line for about two years. I test drove a LS three years ago. My family and I will be using the boat for slalom, wakeboarding, tubing and if I can figure out how Ed.G does it, wakesurfing :D .

I think the right boat for us is the Mobius LS. The options that we have chosen are the Depth finder, Gravity III ballast and water strainer. The factory incentives would be the appearance package, wake plate, and stereo. The Boat Configurator shows a price of 36,065.00. My questions are:
1)Are there any other options I should look at?
2)Should I expect to pay less or more than the boat configurator price at a boat show?
3)Can I expect to get anything free from the dealer.

Well I am going to leave it up to the wonderful people on this board. From what I can tell over the years you won't steer me wrong.

Thanks

deerfield
01-15-2008, 11:10 PM
keastr - Livin' here in the Midwest, you might want to think about ordering a heater for your boat. Makes a difference on cold days. Got one on our 2007 Outback. Really nice to have. - Deerfield

bambam26
01-15-2008, 11:21 PM
I think a Bimini is important as well as the heater. I know that both those items are things I wouldnt want to leave off. I ordered my LS in November and it will be here in 2 weeks or so. I also orderd the snap on cover for it too..............just my 2 pennies worth..........

Brian Raymond
01-15-2008, 11:34 PM
keastr, welcome to the board. I would definately take advantage of the boat show deals. There is reduced pricing and some great factory incentives only available at the show. This would be your best opportunity to get into "your" boat. I am sure Ed.G will be more than happy to instruct you on the art of wakesurfing. There are Moomba Jamborees held across the country for Moomba boat owners, it is a great time for owners to trade stories, show off thier riding skills (and lack thereof) and thier boats. It is a great time for food fun and fellowship. Brian Raymond

Brian Raymond
01-16-2008, 12:07 AM
Posted: 17 Dec 2007 15:50 Post subject: Now is the Best Time of Year to Buy a Mooomba

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are looking to buy a new Moomba, now is the best time of year.

Once a year factory incentives are available exclusively during local boat shows. Moomba is offering buyers premium options to choose from, adding a significant amount of value while providing the best warranty coverage available in the industry for free.

Moomba’s pick any four factory incentives will save you up to $3,380 and with Moomba’s all new L4 Warranty, the boat of your dreams has just became even more attractive. The only difficult decision you will have to make is selecting which model you want and the factory incentives to go along with it.

To view the 2008 Boat Show Specials, go to the Home Page and click on the black box that reads “2008 Boat Show Specials”

Hope to see you at your local Boat Show!

zegm

Posted: 17 Dec 2007 17:01 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Natalie!

I was just on the phone with my dealer and he told me the incentives were online but I couldn't find them.
See you at the Atlanta Boat show!!!!

Buttafewcoe

Posted: 17 Dec 2007 19:53 Post subject:

http://www.moomba.com/images/08_Compare-The-Competition-.jpg
B

zegm
01-16-2008, 09:58 AM
keastr,

Sounds like the boat you want is the one we ordered last Saturday at the Atlanta boat show a Brittany Blue LS!!! My wife fell in love with the z-cargo bimini top and one reason why was it has room to put a tube up there! And that option is not available on the Outbacks. Now I personally don't care to go tubing but we have a couple of young ones. We were set on a Outback V but my wife is a big time slalom skier and after talking to a few people at the show and most importantly sitting in the V and then the LS back to back we choose the LS. If most of your sports are concerned with a bigger wake then go with a Outbackv/LSV (I know the LSV cost a penny or two more) but if you want to do all around water sports the LS is the ticket. One final thing we noticed too (and again I swore I was getting an Outback V) was the LS has deeper freeboard and so the seats sit higher off the floor, what this means is we just noticed the LS also felt more comfortable, this would also apply to an LSV. Good luck!!!

zegm
01-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Mr. Boat Boy sir,

Please look out for a Brittany Blue LS scheduled sometime around Feb. 26 to be started! That is my 8 year old daughter and my 10 year old son's birthday present to their mama!!!! :D It would be the one with the teak deck!

Thanks,

the WHOLE FAMILY!!!!!

yearround
01-16-2008, 11:04 AM
Hey
would the factory tour be possible? i might consider driving there to do such a thing, then pull the ride home and stop at lots of places along the way that i would not usually be able to see.

oh, i still need the dealer to do their stuff first. i understand you can't just "drive it off the floor"

zeg, watch out for your LS sister, the LSV in Brittany Blue pattern A i believe they may be pretty near each other on the line.

keastr
01-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the info. The reason I am looking at the LS is becsause I like to ski, but because of having two young boys, I know the wakeboarding will be coming soon. With this set up it sounds like I will be able to wakeboard and ski and with a couple of extra friends in the boat, I will be able to wakesurf.
zegm how much did you end up getting your boat for. Just kind of wondering how much money I will save when buying at a boat show. I have a couple boat shows to chose from. I have the Lansing boat show, which is this weekend but it is not that big, and the Grand Rapids boat show in Feb. (the dealer I have been working with will be at both). Then I have the option of the Detroit show with another dealer.

Sled491
01-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Keastr,

I think you'll like the extra freeboard you'll get with the Mobius. Also by going with the Mobius you get more standard options. Like was mentioned before by Deerfield heaters in the Midwest is a must, also the bimini is very nice, and lastly Perfect Pass or as it is also known as "the Marriage saver" is a must 8)

Brian Raymond
01-17-2008, 12:51 AM
I would love to give a tour to any Supra/Moomba owner or to be owner. When in the East Tenn. area, and visiting the Great Smokey Mtns. or just traveling through, it is pretty cool to see how the boats are built. It is best to set an appointment between 9a.m. and 2p.m., to get the full effects of the production line. If anyone is interested, contact Skiers Choice-865.983.9924 for a scheduled tour. There is a ton of stuff to do in the area while one visits, from Dollywood and "The Dragon" motorcycle path to just chillin' in the Foothills. I am excited to see how pumped people are, not just for the boat shows, but for the upcoming season. To all new and soon to be and existing boat owners, I wish all a happy, safe and fun season. Brian Raymond

SEARK
01-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Perfect Pass or as it is also known as "the Marriage saver" is a must

I agree with the Perfect Pass, you'll love it. I went with the LS last summer because I wanted a good combination boat that we could ski behind, knee board, wake board, etc. The LS was perfect for that. The best thing is you can get 10-12 people in it and still have power to burn.

zegm
01-17-2008, 03:56 PM
We are so excited about our order for the LS and it is going to be hard to wait until March before she is completed.
I guess I am a lucky guy. My wife backs the ski boat off and on the trailer. She backs up the big 25ft fishing boat so I can back it on and off the trailer.
She came in second in the Sports Car Club of American Solo II Nationals 2 years in a row. She had a Porsche 911 and drove it like it was supposed to be driven, she used to ride KTM250cc motorcrosser.
She can pull me throught the slalom course just fine!
So she save us a couple of bucks. BUT I DO UNDERSTAND!!!! I have seen way to many women at the ramp just standing there while the poor guy does everything! And it really makes her laugh with the expression of wuss coming from her lips! :lol:

keastr
01-19-2008, 11:44 PM
Ok I went to the boat show and put a deposit down on a 07 Outback V, last year clearance. I still have to go to the dealer and make sure this is the boat for the family. My question is What is the diffrence in weight for the Gravity III ballast between the Mobius LS and the outback V. The Option cost is double. I am hoping that means there is double the weight.

And yes Ed. between the discount on the year old boat and the wisdom of some wake surfer dude, I think the V is a better Idea.

Thanks,

jmvotto
01-20-2008, 09:18 AM
congrats on the new moomba. I too am looking at a OB 07. any thoughts on the options that the dealer offered plus any that came standard

teamctl
01-20-2008, 03:03 PM
I love my 07 Outback V. I considered the Mobius line as well as the Malibu V-Ride. The Outback V is loaded with the Grav III ballast, wakeplate, cover, bimini, Tower mirror, racks, upgraded stereo and more. I would not trade her for the world. The wake is perfect with or without a few friends. You will not be dissapointed. I keep waiting for the buyers remorse, but it just hasn't happened :)

Have fun with her this summer!

deerfield
01-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Ed G - It would be terrific if those plans come together. Would love to have you at the Chicago jamboree. It would be a kick to watch you wakesurf. Lots of nice folks at last year's janboree. Met sled and his family. One of my boys got a pull behind an xlv. Blew him away, it is so different compared to our Outback. And great food. Ultimate Wake Watersports and Skiers Choice really put together a nice event, fun for everyone. We're counting on you being here! - Deerfield

keastr
01-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Just got back and from looking at the 2007 in person. I found the answer to my question. The reason the gravity III option is so much more on the V than the LS is there is no standard system on the V. Now the double the cost makes sense to me.

2007 Outback V
E Pattern Brittany Blue
Kenwood stereo no amp :( (will change out when I get tower speakers)
Hydraulic Wake Plate
Appearance Package
Gravity III ballast system
Bow and Cockpit covers
Tower
Board racks

Got her from Premier Motorsports
Gary Johnson the sales manager is a great guy if anyone in Michigan is looking for a place to by a moomba or supra.

Now if everyone will open their windows and let the heat out so this snow and Ice will disappear.

Sled491
01-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Hey where's the pics! :lol:

keastr
01-24-2008, 10:39 PM
I left the camera at home :( . Now I will wait until he gets the options installed.

zegm
01-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Well tell him to hurry up I want to see the pictures, especially since you picked the same color!
My son asked where our boat was and I told him it is a few rolls of fiberglass cloth, a few gallons of resin and an engine in a crate sitting on the shelfs right now! I seriouly doubt that Moomba will get ahead of their production schedule so we can only hope that on Feb. 26 these items will have been pulled from the shelves and the boat is being sprayed!
Congradulations!

Buttafewcoe
01-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Even though they are still less expensive than the competition, I am amazed how much the prices have went up on these boats. Glad I bought me '04 OB when I did!
B

volfo
01-25-2008, 02:43 PM
buttafewcoe, I agree. In fact, I'll go one further and state that if the boat show prices shown on the tags at my local boat show were correct, the Moombas may not be less expensive than other boats. The only "boat show special price" I saw at my Moomba dealer was a loaded '08 OB V, for $41,500. That may just be my dealer, but I think that's getting close to 10 grand more than the MSRP on the boat builder site, and it may be loaded, but goodness that seems high, especially for a boat show special.

For example, that was $1,500 more than the boat show special price a different dealer had on the new Centurion Air Falcon V - and I overheard them telling a potential customer they could get them into the direct drive model of that boat under $30k. I don't like the step-up into the bow, but that is a nice boat and it has a 102" beam, which really opens things up inside. The Malibu VRide was also right in that same ballpark. I wasn't going to drop $40 grand at the boat show, so I didn't do an "apples and oranges" comparison of the Vride and the Air Falcon V to the OBV, but I was surprised that it was not a given that the OBV was less expensive.

I still love my OB LS - but then again I got a good deal on a lightly used (and stored indoors) 2001.

04OUTBACK
01-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Missed our local show cuz I was out of town.. but I am guessing that with the pick 4 show specials, the dealers have to participate with that some and that prevents them from dealing at the show...
Point.. cant get 2-3K worth of accessories and get 2-3K off sticker..

Sled491
01-25-2008, 07:22 PM
I might only have an Outback, but there was no one around that could touch the pricing on a DD ski boat with the options I got. Even a Gecko was 8 grand more, and that is more like a Boomarang than an Outback. The Problem with the Outback V is that everything is an extra. Price the LSV against the Outback V where the Mobius has more of the standards. Listen to guys like Z and Bam Bam who just ordered boats. With what they got on there new rides no one on the market could touch those deals. Heck a Mastercrap 197 is 10k more than my outback and is a smaller boat.

The Porsche website says that I can get there SUV starting at 46K, but that is stripped like you wouldn't believe, If I want any extras I jump to 56k right away. No different for the Moombas, You can get an Outback V for what 34K, but everything is an upgrade. That's just how it is, this other DD for under 30K is stripped down I'll bet you a tank of gas.

I could go on but I don't want to come off preachy. I love window shopping and I get a big shock everytime I look at the competions prices that's the bottom line. :shock:

zegm
01-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Ok I didn't check out every single ski boat at the Atlanta boat show but I did check out alot and I do remember the boat show price for a MasterCraft 197 (I think, DD open bow) at being 10k off so it ONLY cost 55k! I saw several other boat show prices of the competitors and NONE were in the 40k range or less. And I really didn't see where the extra money was! And I noticed that Atlanta Marine the local Supra/Moomba dealer was packed full of people. My wife and I met Rick Tinker and we had to ask him how do you do it. He said that SC doesn't make a lot of money on the Moomba but they sell alot of them so you get your return on the volume. Having been a inboard skier for many years I really believe that these companies have found out that the market for inboards is partially based on the perception that to be good it has to cost alot! And I see this culture on this board. People here seems to feel like they have to explain to their MasterCraft friends why these boats are just as good even though they cost less. I could care less, I consider myself smarter than them because I can spot good engineering and have no trouble keeping that extra 10 to 20k in my pocket! When my LS shows up I will probably have my nose higher in the air than anybody on the lake!

volfo
01-25-2008, 09:43 PM
you will get no arguments from me on the quality and the value of a moomba. My only point was to agree with another board contributor that the prices had gone up, and to point out I was surprised that the "boat show special price" of an OB V at my boat show was basically in line with the malibu vride and the centurion falcon v, which are similar boats.

I had always assumed those boats would be more expensive, but not any better, than a moomba.

Of course, it could just be that my dealer's "boat show special" was full price, and the dealers of those boats were advertising a nice discount. Based on the boat configurator, I could MSRP an OBV in the mid 30s and it would be very nice, with the pick 4 promotion. I would hope at the boat show I could negotiate a little off that price.

zegm
01-25-2008, 10:33 PM
My wife and I actually went to get a Outback V but I had some input from Sled and bambam before the show. They told me to go to the boat builder and compare the LS to the Outback V with the same equipment. Note that some of these are options on the V and standard on the LS. So from the beginning I knew I could get a better deal on the LS. But I wasn't convinced and after spending an hour in each we just "felt" better with the LS plus the fact that you cannot get a Z-cargo bimini in an Outback and my wife loved that one. We also decided on the LS because of the deeper freeboard, bigger hull and because it is a direct drive. And the price was about 600 bucks cheaper than the same equiped V. OK now for the boat show specials we ordered a boat and the dealer agreed to give us the price exactly as it was on the boat builder, NO ADDITIONAL charges like freight or dealer prep and she told us that was her contribution (plus a free 400 dollar LF Shane wakeboard). HOWEVER she had boats there that from her stock and they were less than the boatbuilder, every one she had at the show was on sale! The only problem was they did not have exactly what we wanted and if were going to drive 5 hours to see the show and spend the almost 40k we decided to get what WE wanted.

volfo
01-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Sounds like you got a great boat at a fair deal. The V drives are no doubt the right choice for some people, but not everyone. I still like to ski. I have the old OB LS, which is the same hull/boat as the current OB V, and I have sat in the newer hulled Mobius LS at a previous boat show and I agree with you it is just more of a boat. More storage, more everything that makes a boat a good family boat or a good boat to be out all day in, except for the engine in the middle. And that doesn't bother me so much. To me, that's the way a ski boat is supposed to be. The V drives just look to me, just like the I/Os I grew up skiing behind, wishing I could ski more often behind an inboard. I don't like having to walk over 5 feet of sundeck to get to the business end of the boat, or to watch the kids swim. That feels like "wasted" space to me and everyone is sitting closer to each other than they have to on the direct drives.

To me, the only real drawback of the DD is you have to seat everyone in front of the rope during slalom sessions. All in all, it would not be an easy decision because they are both great boats, but I think I'd buy the LS over the OBV, too.

Really, both boats are just incredible and I would be thrilled to get either one. I just think that too many people are too dismissive of the direct drive boats and they shouldn't be. The dealer at our show said only old people ask for direct drives, and they only sell 2 or 3 a year. Hard to believe.

Glad to hear you got a fair deal on the boat you wanted - and I totally agree that when you spend the $ to buy new, you absolutely order it the way you want it. I found mine used, so I was worried more about condition, hours, and fuel injection and couldn't get picky on things like it being red instead of my favorite blue. But that's because I paid a bit less than half of what a new one costs for a well-maintained boat with 117 hours on it.

zegm
01-25-2008, 11:05 PM
We too are skiers and have owned a MasterCraft for 22 years so I am aware of the engine sitting in the middle. I really like the open floor space of the OBV but we felt like we were sitting on the floor whereas the seats are higher off the floor in the LS. I must also ask those here who think the LS is only for skiers have they seen the video on the LS section of the site. The guys is going airborne to heights I really don't care to visit. But my point is that apparently it makes a pretty decent wakeboard wake. And the latest issue of Wakeboard magazine gives it a pretty good rating too. Now I will say this again I am going to try wakeboarding this summer but I really will enjoy watching my 8 and 10 year old learn the sport while their mama and I try to make 6 in a row! And would you believe I was not going to order a radio (I know for some that is a sin to not have a radio) but my wife said you know they will be teenagers soon! Finally, I have driven BMW's for 20 years and I have never bought a new one. Let someone else get hit with depreciation and I will take advantage of that!

Sled491
01-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Volfvo,

This is twice now I've heard your story about the dealer in your area saying the DD was for old guys. Maybe you should ask him to try and pull a set with a few of us "old guys" and see if he could keep up. Sounds like a very narrow minded very inexperienced boater. Nothing agianst a V drive but come on. I'm pretty sure the Georgia Tech boys on this board aren't how did he put it "old".

I'd probably walk away from this guy biting my tongue and do everything I could to find a dealer who appreciated all forms of watersport and the vehicles we use.

volfo
01-25-2008, 11:23 PM
They have actually been good in there store and I like them and am rooting for them to make it (new dealership), but I think it just reflects the clientele they are catereing to and the fact that to so many people it's all about V drives these days. It's Moomba Wakeboard Boats now, not "Moomba Tournament Inboards" like it used to be (or something like that). It seems mostly to be about stainless steel cupholders and grab rails, amplifiers and tower speakers, and the funkiest looking, biggest, weirdest towers you can find.

At the ski course on our closest lake and the one we go to most often, there are usually several direct drives lined up in the cove. 4 out of 5 are either a MC or a Malibu, with the occasional Nautique or "other" brand. I have seen exactly one Moomba, what looks like a late 90s model OB. I think if these guys would stock the regular DD OB, they would sell a ton. It's such a nice boat. But, there weren't any at the dealership when I was there, and at the boat show there were 2 Mobius LSVs and 1 OBV. So how would anyone know? Mastercraft had a beautiful DD 214 with wrap-around seating in a DD, but they wanted $67k for that boat, and I'm not sure it was any better than a regular OB.

zegm
01-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Would you believe that at the Atlanta Boat show the Malibu dealer had a trailer with spinners on the wheels!!!!
I am glad you mentioned the towers, I like the Moomba tower far better than everyones elses, single elegant but strong tubing! Beautiful in my eyes. I can not believe how much metal is in the other boats towers! I think Malibu had this huge wide tower that was actually a Casting!!! OK that is somewhat subjective but they are so wide they have to block your view in some situations. It is funny but the towers really bothered me! Do they have control surfaces so that you can also trim the boat that way? :roll:

Sled491
01-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Maybe you can help him realize the piece of the market that he's missing. ALso according to the little survey Ed G ran here last week it seems DD were doing just fine. :shock:

And if I'm an old guy then that must be my daughter not my wife in my avatar 8)

zegm
01-25-2008, 11:48 PM
Yeah I was surprised by the results of the survey! But I cannot argue with the age thing! Still didn't stop me from having Miss Geico sign my poster! :lol:

Sled491
01-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Hey have your heard the story about the scorpion and the frog?

The scorpion askes the frog for a ride across the river. the frog says no way, you'll sting me and I'll die. The Scorpion says no way, if I do that we'll both die. The frog thinks about it and agrees to give the scorpion a ride. Half way across the scorpion stings the frog. The frog asks why the scorpion stung him as he is dying. The scorpion simply says...I couldn't help it, I'm a scorpion.

In other words of course you got the autograph your a man 8)

zegm
01-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Yeah and I also had my wife walk back up to meet us after going to get a coke wondering why both kids and I are getting autographed racing posters from a gorgeous woman in a nice yellow bikini. Now how do I answer her, or really was it a trick question and you know what we will never really know. And what was with her perfect timing, I mean I could not look down anymore, couldn't she have waited 1 more minute??? :oops:

Sled491
01-26-2008, 12:04 AM
nope. thats not how it works