PDA

View Full Version : Direct drive transmission seal change?

rosh
01-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Hi

Has any one change the seal from the shaft end of the transmission?, I have a 98 Mobius DD with a ZF transmission and the seal leaks, I have no dealer near by so I decided to change it myself during this off season, Im a mechanicall engineer and have a locomotive shop so I guess it should not be a problem to do it, but I have no manual of info about this procedure so any advise or instrctions from someone who has done it will be greatly apreciate it.

Thanks

Rodrigo

schwartzman
01-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Take the four bolts off to seperate the transmission coupler from the drive shaft coupler. Inside the transmission cuopler there is a lock nut (mine is like a 4WD hub retainer nut), take the nut off and you should be able to pick out the old seal. When you go to put the new seal on put a plastic bag over the transmission shat and oil up the new seal and slide it on. If the transmission shaft is grooved or not smoothe, replace it also.

Brian Raymond
01-15-2008, 11:54 PM
rosh, the nut that holds the coupler on to the output shaft of the tranny requires a special socket tool. These are available only through Indmar. You can reach them at 901.353.9930. Ask for JT in parts, he'll get ya hooked up. Brian Raymond

schwartzman
01-16-2008, 07:24 PM
That sounds easier than what I did. A friend of mine is a machinist and made me one from an old socket, and it would have cost me a pretty penny. If you don't have access to the part (no dealer could get me one), there is another option.