PDA

View Full Version : so i am about to join the family!

yearround
01-07-2008, 06:15 PM
after a couple years of looking, saving pennies, skipping lunch to hoard the lunch money, we will be buying in to the family! i trust we will be welcome as long as we behave and all the regular things i expect of my children.

i have read and watched many of the topics for some time, but my login stuff does not work and i was out of email addresses and could never get a response from the administrator to fix my stuff. so i have a new email address (that i may never use again, but it got me signed up here).

so with that off my mind, a few questions before we place the order (i am running out of time for our boat show and fab dates) i will be buying an LSV

engine:
what advantages should i expect from the 340 cat over the 325? i have heard reduced pollution (always a PC thing), improved fuel economy, if so how much and what should i expect from either (5-6 gal/hr???)

i will be storing in my garage and trailering to the lakes 5 to 500 miles. the Moomba manual says the cockpit & bow cover etc are not for trailering, what do they recommend? i have always trailered my old I/O with snap on cover, never had a problem.

how is the stereo, or should i plan on replacing with something better?

have a few more questions, but don't want to unload everything, want to try and leave something for the dealer.

thanks

MasterMind3002
01-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Welcome yearround

My brother has the 340 enigine in his Supra Launch. IMHO the biggest difference in the engines is the torque. When you fill the ballast, the 340 will have more bottom end. If you plan to wakesurf the new CAT setup is supposed to be the way to go. No more breathing in fumes.

If your going to trailer 500 miles, I would go with the tandom axle trailer. My brother has the cockpit covers and pulls his boat with them on all the time.

You didn't mention if you opted for the tower speakers. The standard head unit, amp and speakers have awesome sound unless your a diehard.

Enjoy your new toy and welcome to Moomba.

zegm
01-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Mastermind,

Does the boat come with a standard stereo system? (that is not an option?)

04OUTBACK
01-07-2008, 10:28 PM
stereo is option...
I have 06 with 6 kenwood stereo, 6 kenwood cockpits speakers, 4 kenwood tower speakers and kenwood amp.. an improvement over cheap junk speakers that were in my 04..

BIGGEST advantage to getting the factory stereo... all the wiring.. if you add one aftermarket, you'll have to run wires all over the boat. As Mastermind said, unless you're a Die Hard audiophile, you'll be great with it.. You can probably get tower speakers a little cheaper than stock option, but, again, installation will be the booger..

I agree on the double axle if you are gonna tow 500 miles often!

I think new full cover is more towable.. it does not have any straps..

Congrats and welcome to the family.. make sure you post pics when you get her!

deerfield
01-08-2008, 12:08 AM
colorado - The tandem axle is a dream to pull long distance. Very stable. But it may not be as easy to maneuver in close quarters like a launch ramp as a single axle. I have a Moomba logo full cover that I take off of the boat before towing. It's for storage only. Fits nice. Keeps the boat clean and dry. I also run a fan in the boat and crack open the engine hatch when stored. I ordered the Kenwood sound system upgrade (receiver, amp, and speakers) and it is fine for us. Boat is an '07 Outback with 325 EFI engine. Could not be happier. - Deerfield

yearround
01-08-2008, 12:48 AM
this is our plan,
definately the tandem trailer, the draw back is that i will store in my third car garage, we modified the opening last year to be 9'wide x 8' high. hitting the hole will be the challenge. the width of the axle/tires is right at 102" the opening is 107" will have to pull the guide on poles and deck off to fit too.

no tower speakers. i lift the tower way to often.

no perfect pass, i have not had any experience with this, the EC seems to be good enough, the main thing will be to allow less experienced drivers to drive more consistent.

was going to go with the stereo upgrade, but i am like zeg, and would not feel too bad if we never really turned it on. so mastermind said that the stereo is an option only. that there is no stereo unless i get the option? i did not realize that.

this recent cover thing is curious, i will likely go with the tonneau and cockpit covers. i have had this on my I/O and never had issues, the snaps are simply a necessary thing i guess, i have really never seen a boat wit hout them.

i love the Z-rack i just hope they can mount it high enough so i don't hit my head (i am 6-2)

has anyone put on pivoting racks? seen any that work good? air boom seemed ok, don't know who else has them, or should i just stick with the moomba racks on the tower?

cab13367
01-08-2008, 02:41 AM
this is our plan,
definately the tandem trailer, the draw back is that i will store in my third car garage, we modified the opening last year to be 9'wide x 8' high. hitting the hole will be the challenge. the width of the axle/tires is right at 102" the opening is 107" will have to pull the guide on poles and deck off to fit too.

no tower speakers. i lift the tower way to often.

no perfect pass, i have not had any experience with this, the EC seems to be good enough, the main thing will be to allow less experienced drivers to drive more consistent.

was going to go with the stereo upgrade, but i am like zeg, and would not feel too bad if we never really turned it on. so mastermind said that the stereo is an option only. that there is no stereo unless i get the option? i did not realize that.

this recent cover thing is curious, i will likely go with the tonneau and cockpit covers. i have had this on my I/O and never had issues, the snaps are simply a necessary thing i guess, i have really never seen a boat wit hout them.

i love the Z-rack i just hope they can mount it high enough so i don't hit my head (i am 6-2)

has anyone put on pivoting racks? seen any that work good? air boom seemed ok, don't know who else has them, or should i just stick with the moomba racks on the tower?
yearound,

Welcome to the family! I also moved from an I/O to a Moomba LSV last year and love the new boat. I also moved from Centennial, CO to Tigard (Portland metro area), Oregon about the same time. Where are you in CO?

Some comments:

Re: Garage opening. Did you check the height of your new boat with the tower down? I think you will find that it is real close to 8'. Some people report having to air down the tires to get the boat to fit height-wise. We are fortunate enough to have 9' high garage doors so we don't have this issue.

Re: Perfect Pass. I'd defintely recommend getting it, it's worth every penny IMO. The EC is not automatic - you have to engage it manually each time. And it maintains rpm, not speed. The PP engages automatically and has the ability to store several different speeds and the name of the rider which I find to be very convenient. Plus it includes a water temp gauge.

Re: Swivel racks. I went with the stock racks. They work fine for me. If you do go with the stockers, get them from monstertower.com (the XTP Double Up Wakeboard Rack). It's $315 for both sides shipped. Dealer will want quite a bit more for exactly the same racks. Swivels are more convenient but a lot pricier. I also bought monster's tower mirror arm because of the quick release feature which is important to me.

Re: Stereo. Yes, it's an option. I didn't care for the Kenwoods so I replaced them with Polks. They sound a lot better IMO.

RE: Cover. I have the bow and cockpit snap on covers. I tow without the covers in place but put them on if it starts to rain. They work just fine.

Note that your LSV will not come with transom straps like your I/O did so plan on buying some prior to picking up your boat.

If you plan to do your own winterizing, ask the guys in the service department at romoboco (I assume you are getting yours there) to walk you thru the process. They did that for me and it was a big help. It will save you a couple hundred bucks each year and it's extremely easy to do.

Enjoy!

Al

Buttafewcoe
01-08-2008, 05:58 AM
And don't forget, someday you may want to sell (heaven forbid!), and those things you are calling options may be the kicker for getting the best price out or making a quick sale.
Welcome to the clan
B

tazz3069
01-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Welcome to the familiy. In regards to the stereo, I removed the stock speakers and will be replacing everything with Polk Audio DB651 in the cockpit and Polk Momo for the Tower, and a 10" Boston Acoustic Sub. The amps will be Kicker Marine. Yes there will be more wiring to do but when it is finished, I will have a great sounding boat. I also store the boat in my two car garage. The boat has to sit at an angle. Swim step removed and pin for the tongue is removed. It just fits.

SEARK
01-08-2008, 06:10 PM
The 8' opening on the garage will work fine. I have on 07 LS with a tower mirror and mine goes in with almost a foot to spare.

Sled491
01-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Welcome,

Get the stereo option while it's free, just a no briainer for resale, like I've said before wiring after the fact is no fun. Backing into that opening will be fun pray you don't bruise your new baby. Depending on the cost of the bow and cockpit covers maybe you will want to look at custom made and stop worrying about trailering the Moomba ones. Perfect pass all the way, the Moomba Cruise doesn't work real good at the slower wakeboard speeds but is OK at slalom speeds. We have the PP and it was exactely the way to go, I really like the programing individual skiers option

yearround
01-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Re: Swivel racks. I went with the stock racks. They work fine for me. If you do go with the stockers, get them from monstertower.com (the XTP Double Up Wakeboard Rack). It's $315 for both sides shipped. Dealer will want quite a bit more for exactly the same racks. Swivels are more convenient but a lot pricier. I also bought monster's tower mirror arm because of the quick release feature which is important to me.

thanks for the info, so you are saying that the moomba racks are really monster racks?

just when i thought i knew what i want to get, someone else has something different that might be really good.

slaphappy
01-09-2008, 02:02 AM
Congrats on the LSV selection.. One of the best boats I've seen from Moomba, ever... I owned the first version of the LSV, it was great and this one is even better... The first version of the LSV is now the Outback V BTW..

Concerning engine selection. Defintely the 340 if you are going to be boarding on any level above "casual". If you plan to weight the boat for big wakes you'll defintely appreciate the added torque. For wake surfing the 340 is a given with CAT. Don't forget the 4 blade wakeboard prop by OJ. Its the best performance enhancement you could possiby bolt onto your boat. Your fuel economy is going to suck either way so just try to grin and bare it.

This orginal post asked about trailering with the cover on.. I normally go commando. I've seen staps rub scratches in gel coats of other boat types, so I would assume the Moomba could scratch as well. I've got a snap on now and take it off whie towing so it doesn't stretch out from wind flow.. Not sure if this is an issue or not, but it feels right so I leave it off. Maybe SC will do some scientific studies to figure this out.

Go with the tandem axle as well. Its a must. A flat tire or seized axle can ruin a day if not several days with only two wheels.

Next concern, the stereo.. The new Kenwood deck and Kicker speakers are amazing.. And I guarantee you don't want to try to wire a brand new boat and tower to get a system installed just to save a couple of bucks. I would even recommend the same setup for your car as well.

Also, last but not least get the HEATER!!! Not only do the chicks love it but your boys will too!