PDA

View Full Version : Covers

zegm
01-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Does anyone know the differences between all of the cover options listed on the boat builder. There are 3 different options and prices but without a picture I have no idea what they are?

dtlaine
01-07-2008, 12:59 PM
The cockpit / tonneau cover is 2 separate covers that snap to the boat. You'll have to get a bunch of snaps drilled into the fiberglass. That's the only trailerable cover Moomba offers.

The logo cover is the cover that covers the whole boat and holds on under the rub rail.

I'm not sure what the tonneau cover by itself is.

zegm
01-07-2008, 03:03 PM
dtlaine,

thanks! that helps me decide! I really don't want a bunch of snaps all over the boat.

dtlaine
01-07-2008, 04:46 PM
There have been a lot of posts recently about the Logo Cover. I have one on my OB V I purchased in December, and so far, it's been great. The boat sits by the dock all day every day (except when I'm out using it, enjoying the lovely South Florida weather). The water beads up, and it fits really well. Members on this site said they deteriorate over 12-18 months, but maybe Moomba has improved them recently.

I think that if you search, you'll see that there have been some aftermarket sources mentioned recently that members think are better.

Good luck.

zegm
01-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Then what is the Tonneau cover? I see it list for 195 on the boat builder. I am going to order a boat this Saturday at the boat show and the wife is already freakin out on the cost after we pick all of the options we want. Yes these boats are at a great price but when you start adding all the things you want it builds quickly!!!

yearround
01-07-2008, 06:44 PM
i too will be buying ordering a boat in the next couple weeks.

i have to disagree with dtlaine. the owners manual says not to trailer with the either the cockpit cover or the tonneau cover (pg 54) i don't know the difference between the tow really is, nor do i know what they recommend trailering with.

will you be ordering with the pp installed, or is the moomba cruise sufficient?

i can feel the anticipation, i have till the 19th to get mine set.[/quote]

yearround
01-07-2008, 06:48 PM
i can feel the anticipation, i have till the 19th to get mine set

what about the stereo? i will not get tower speakers because i store in my garage and the cans get too heavy to lift and store folded. so we rely on the regular setup.

zegm
01-07-2008, 07:18 PM
First I have to admit that I have a very nice 1975 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes and have owned and maintained it for 22 years. So with that being said my right arm is what is used to maintain the speed through the course when I pull my wife. So the standard crusie control will be more than I have ever owned. OK now second issue, stereo, I tell so many people that when you own a boat that only has a Glove box for storage and an engine that pulls you but absolutely nothing else in the boat then a Moomba far exceeds our dreams! Since we have no stereo now I see no reason to spend any money on this option and I will never know it was available nor will i miss it. I am looking at getting an Outback V with solid color hull, teak deck (because that is what a ski boat is supposed to have) water strainer, bimini because we live in Florida, appearance package, tower, gravity one and a cover. And because the boat show is THIS saturday yes I am so excited as are my wife and 2 kids!

MasterMind3002
01-07-2008, 08:06 PM
I have the logo cover for my boat but I never use it. It sits in the garage all summer. I have a Shore Station with a top on it so there is no need to cover.

The Easy Cruise option will not hold speed in turns like Perfect Pass. EC work ok if your running straight . I personally prefer driving the boat instead of letting it drive me. :lol:

zeg, I used to think the same thing about the ski platform. Teak was the only way to fly, but now that I've had the fiberglass platform I'll never go back. I like not having to oil and maintain the teak. The fiberglass is actually very durable. A little touch up along the edges with the buffer at the end of the season and you'd never know there was ever a ski on it.

zegm
01-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Yeah I want to have the throttle in my hand, I am not sure when or why I would ever use a cruise control.
I live on a Lake that I can build a boat lift (we don't have to remove anything as it doesn't freeze here) however we are not allowed to close in the lift. This means I will have a very tall lift to compensate for a tower. I really don't want to block my view of the lake or deal with the permits. So I have been checking out the railroads for the boats, that way I can put it in my yard and build what I want around it. To be honest I have a concrete ramp in my yard but I like having the boat at the dock so I can get in it and go as I wish. That would be a nice bed for the railroad!!! And you are right, it will take time to remove a cover and put it back on, we only cover our boat now during the winter never during the summer and it has been fine. I can't image that a black cover over it sitting in the sun is going to be much better?

KarMobLSV06
01-07-2008, 08:30 PM
The cover with all the snaps is allegedly the only one offered that is trailerable.

I got it with my 2006 and is has held up fine, but I pull my boat out and store indoors when not in use. The snaps have held up so far too.

I like the tonneau cover b/c it can act as wind screen so I did not have to order the wind screen. the kids and dog love to crawl under the bow with the tonneau on with a heat vent and warm up early and late in the season.

Just a thought.

zegm
01-07-2008, 08:40 PM
I will hardly ever if ever trailer this boat since I live on the lake. The tires on the MasterCraft trailer are brand new and dry rotten as they never get used. I will think about how I can keep the new trailer tires from doing the same. I am just looking for the most inexpensive cover they offer to use when we are not out and about.
I know it must be nice to have the cover and a heater but being in Florida not is not an issue here either. We usually ski on the lake until mid to late October and the water will still be in the 70's.

Buttafewcoe
01-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Never mind
B

KarMobLSV06
01-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Then I would skip ordering one with the boat and buy a cheaper aftermarket cover. You'll probably get a better cover for less that way. :)

04OUTBACK
01-07-2008, 10:17 PM
It is my understanding that the new '08 cover is strapless and therefore towable..

dtlaine
01-07-2008, 11:29 PM
I purchased my boat from Land 'o Lakes Marine in Land 'o Lakes, FL, and the owner told me the snap-on covers are trailerable. I also live on a lake, and I hardly ever trailer the boat anywhere. The Logo cover seems to do a good job of keeping water, dust, leaves, etc. out of the boat while it's sitting at the dock.

cab13367
01-08-2008, 03:14 AM
zegm & yearround,

You must be pretty excited getting ready to order your new boat this weekend. I bought a new 2006 LSV but bought one off the lot. I've read a few of your posts regarding covers, stereos, and perfect pass (PP) and thought I would offer my thoughts.

Covers - the toneau cover is a snap on cover that covers the bow of the boat. The cockpit cover covers the rear of the boat, from the bottom of the windshield, up and over the windsheild all the way to the back. I have this option on my boat and love it. Zegm, even if you keep your boat on a dock, I would think that it would come in handy to keep your interior looking new, and it can be installed from inside the boat (you work your way back and finish up on the swim platform. They come with poles to prop up the cover and keep it tight and allows it to shed rain. Also, the bow cover can be left on while underway and in conjunction with the windshield acts as a windblock for those cold mornings. And the snaps do not get in the way at all - I don't even notice that they are there.

Stereo - zegm, I understand that you don't have a stereo on your MC and thus have no need for it on your Outback. I am not one to blast music while riding (in fact, I usually keep it off while riding) but it sure is nice to kick back with a cold one and listen to some tunes while taking a break and just sitting on the lake.

Perfect Pass - I got the PP not for me but for my wife when she drives me :wink: Makes it a lot less stressful on her and I get a consistent pull. Also, having PP take over the throttle shortly after takeoff and maintaining the speed for you allows you to not worry about it and just steer and enjoy watching your wife ski. That's the thing I like about it is that I get to watch my son and wife wakeboard instead of having to watch the speedometer all the time. I also like the fact that you can set it to store names and preferred riding speeds as my wife, son, and I all ride at different speeds. It also provides a readout of the water temp which is handy. You don't get any of these with the EC. Also, the PP can maintain rpm or speed and engages/disengages automatically. The EC only maintains rpm and has to be engaged manually each time.

Just some things to think about.

Al

Buttafewcoe
01-08-2008, 06:28 AM
I've trailered with my snap-ons in place once. They held on ok, but it stretches the crap out of them, or it did mine anyway. Never again.
B

zegm
01-08-2008, 08:53 AM
One issue here that I must address. Money!!! My wife loves our old MC until she wants to bring her friends with us. So as I have explained in the past her being the (home) banker I threw a number out there that didn't seem to unreasonable to her. Now that number keeps getting bigger and bigger and at some point she will cry foul! I really don't have a use for the PP as only 2 people will ever drive this boat and we have been driving inboards for 22+ years. We don't do any competition just pull the kids and each other. The covers, I live in Panama City Florida, I can drive to no less than 5 or 6 canvas shops here that will make me a nice cover for probably less than the ones they offer. The main goal is to hit the boat show and leave with my wife and I both happy!!! Still stuck on the radio but you know that is what I have left to haggle with the Dealer over!!!! Although I don't think it will ever be turned on! I Mean how will we hears those alligators sneaking up on us with all that noise!!! :shock:

Buttafewcoe
01-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Picture this.......
Sun setting on yer fave lake, just you and the missus, you break out the bubbly (or whatever yer fave elixer is). Both feeling a little frisky, you put some Barry White (personally I like Great White - Rock Me) to further the mood.......
Well you get the point. I guess you can always pack a battery operated radio, Tunes are a must.
B

zegm
01-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Well what confuses me is that to get any radio I must choose an option. When I look at the options I really don't desire any, just give me a radio and a couple of speakers and I would be fine. But no I must spend hundreds of dollars on something that I could care less about. And unfortunately I have a 8 and 10 year old that as soon as they here the boat fired up they are there!!!! Maybe you can explain the options better for me so that I don't have to spend hundreds of dollars. I mean if it comes down to resale I can go to Boaters world and get a radio and a couple of speakers and install it myself.

zegm
01-08-2008, 03:30 PM
I just called skiers choice and to get any radio in the Moomba lineup you have to pick the AM/FM CD player option and then any additional audio setup you want. Well that option is 895 bucks so the Radio is OUT! I cannot see paying that kind of money for something I might never use. Shoot I could almost put that towards a LSV instead of the Outback V!

volfo
01-08-2008, 05:28 PM
my boat is a family boat, too, and to top it off, my wife likes no additional noise beyond the kids anyway, so the tunes are usually off in my boat.

I would imagine it would be very easy to add a stereo and speakers later, either yourself or have someone do it much cheaper than $900 plus speakers. I guarantee you for $200 I could buy a radio at least as good as the one in my Outback LS from crutchfield or anywhere else, and for approximatey $300 I could have 2 pairs of speakers that are better than the ones installed in my boat - and that's all it sounds like you need.

I think a radio is a good thing to have, even if it does sound old-fashioned a weather radio is a good thing to have if you are on a big body of water and the summer clouds come quick, as they can.

It's funny to me when I read these ads for used boats for $50,000 and there is one line about the boat and then 3 more about the stereo system, but that seems to be the way it is these days. I just realized I sound OLD!

Sled491
01-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Hey Zegm, I see you have nickname already "Zeg" I like it, so much easier! Any way quick question, since you are buying at the boat show don't you get the pick 3? If so doesn't this give you almost everything you want for free. Apperance package, bimini, stereo?, then buy the aftermarket cover and I know you don't want to hear this but live with the fiberglass rear deck. If you really hate the deck you can get a aftermarket teak one for less than $400.

Wait I just remembered the tower and balast, maybe buy an after market bimini as well, I know our Moomba one is nice and works very well but trying to watch the pennies makes you look at things differently.

Remember this is not your 22 year old boat anymore, this is your brand new 35-45k baby that just put one of your kids into community college instead of State :lol:

KarMobLSV06
01-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Where can you get a aftermarket Teak platform for a 2006 Mobius LSV?

Sled491
01-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Here is just one option.

http://www.boatbandit.com/teak-swim-platform-5215.aspx

I found 3 places just by googling "teak swim platform"