View Full Version : Deadly Sin - beaching your boat

jaybellnv
01-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Does anyone beach their boat?
Thanks,

Jay

gsi09907
01-01-2008, 03:24 PM
screw that, I'de never purposely beach my pride and joy, If it comes to that just sell the boat and wait til their older or tell them just to get over it and deal with the vest. That is the single most crazyest thing I have ever heard. Just my opinions thoe, your boat so beach away!!!

zabooda
01-01-2008, 04:51 PM
Jay,
Do what you normally do with your other boat except remember you have the skag halfway down the boat that you don't want to have lodged into anything that won't allow it to move. Stay away from sticks and rocks. If I beach for awhile I anchor out because of wave action and to point the tower speakers to the beach but if I'm stopping for a short time I just beach it. I like beaching at first just to get everyone out so I can stuff done and second it is a natural reaction for people to start bailing out when the boat gets near shore. Scratches on the bottom of your boat is natural wear and tear but gouges are not. Do what works for you.

smokedog2
01-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Well, I may not be quite as direct but I agree. I have small kids and never beach the boat. I anchor in the bay and let them swim to the beach. Sometimes they ride the tube into shore but I do not beach the boat. It has great potential to be hard on the dagger fins as well as the hull.

I also agree, your boat so really up to you.

SD2

zegm
01-01-2008, 07:34 PM
I have gently beached my MasterCraft for several years and you can see the results on the keel. However as I sit here and think about the new Moomba I plan on ordering next week I cannot seem to get a vision in my head that I will beach it. Now you can have mama get out of the boat hold the bow in shallow water and let the little ones exit. I once beached my 25ft Cuddy on Shell Island and decided never to do that again after it took 5 big guys to get it off the beach!

MasterMind3002
01-01-2008, 09:48 PM
I've never beached any of my inboards........I've always been afraid of scratching up the gelcoat.

The nice thing about the Moombas is how easily minor scratches seem to buff out. Moomba gelcoat is tough stuff. From my experience soft sand would be no problem at all...........shale and stones, now thats another matter.

Even if the gelcoat wasn't an issue for me, I'd still be concerned about the stabilizer fins , prop and rudder. That running gear is EXPENSIVE to repair if you get in a bit shallow.

moombadaze
01-02-2008, 09:13 AM
i normally dont beach the boat , typiclly will ease onto the sand, off load and then anchor bow out with second anchor to hold the stern from swinging around. one thing about moomba's is the drop keel in the front of the skegs does provide a little protection to them if its not real shallow.

stacy

MasterMind3002
01-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Nice pic Ed ............makes me homesick for warm temps and smooth water.

gsi09907
01-02-2008, 09:59 PM
beach 'em all u want boys mine gets scared if the water level gets below 5 feet maybe one day when I make 6 figures and have no worries (pardon the play on words) it won't be that big a deal but this boat is my single largest purchase besides a house so I'm pretty anal when it comes to giving the boat the boat the respect I feel it deserves..... boats work better on water than they do on land

Sled491
01-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Growing up we always beached our boats. I unfortunately boat on a lake I could even beach on but if I take my boat up to visit my parents this summer I'm almost positive it'll get beached. I understand the pride and joy thing and the cost, so to each his or her own but in my modest opinion no real damage will happen if you watch the rocks and ease in.

jaybellnv
01-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks everyone! Very helpful.

At my local lake, I rarely see people beach. However, back at Lake Mead and Lake Havasu people beached all the time with way more expensive boats than most wakeboard boats (halletts, scarab, etc).

Mead was probably b/c in many places the depth dropped so fast you would need a 100ft rope. Havasu was b/c of channel where everyone would hang out and cruise.

I guess if you are planing on keeping a while -- its your boat. I will try to get a photo of my current boat, which is pretty beat up, however I am sure that a few hundred $$ in re-work would have it looking as good as new.

With a new boat I am sure that I would be a lot more hesitant and cautious.

Jay

edwindenijs
01-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Fins in the dirt or sand isn't good i think, just let them out and anchor the boat in a bit deeper water.

btw nice picture ED at this moment it's here in Amsterdam freezing again! Takes a few more months before we can think about beaching or docking again.....

moomba_armada
01-11-2008, 06:50 AM
What a beautiful pic...Well, one question you lot get rid from me. I will beach the boat carefully (antifouling paint could vanish)if I find a beach where is not regulated area (silly):roll:.Also I am buying a 6 feet dinghy tender to carry on the swim platform just when we go on "culinary expedition". :wink:

GeauxTigers
01-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Also I am buying a 6 feet dinghy tender to carry on the swim platform just when we go on "culinary expedition". :wink:

Good idea! While I have not yet taken my new baby on a maiden voyage yet, I have been thinking how much we will watch this when we do go out. With our old boat, we always beached it and we would carry a beach umbrella and folding chairs for us to sit around and drink a little bit of wine and snack while they play and explore. I guess we can use our monster tube (Super Mable) to navigate to the beach and just leave 'er anchored in 4-5 ft of water from now on.
Then we can have some "tapas," Moomba Armada!!!

moomba_armada
01-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Tapas are the most important thing...boat can wait till we are well "loaded" :wink:

I saw this on Ebay...it doesn´t look bad...anyone proved similar thing?

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/50/750/4/75/34/2457475340101539954NQDsWm_th.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2457475340101539954NQDsWm)http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/50/750/2/22/90/2739222900101539954SxbJCC_th.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2739222900101539954SxbJCC)http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/50/650/6/3/92/2567603920101539954cPdywz_th.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2567603920101539954cPdywz)

Sled491
01-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Loks like it would work. Overtons has someithing similar or they used to for taking you big inflatables with you without taking up vauluble floor space.