PDA

View Full Version : steering cable replacement

Yellowmobius
12-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Has anyone one replaced a steering cable on a 2004 LSV? I am going to run my LSV one more year. Last season the steering was gradually getting harder so I will be replacing the cable. I haven't decided if this is something I want to do myself or take it to the dealer.

Nafplio
12-26-2007, 12:24 PM
It'll cost more at the dealer. I changed mine in '06; here is the post:
https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=3248&highlight=
There are some photos in my webshots maintenance folder below. I recall the guy with a red '02 or '04 LSV (Jesse) has posted on this with some good pictures as well. I think the secret is to keep the rudder end full of grease, so water doesn't get in there. Once you take it apart, you'll know what I'm talking about. Good luck.

JesseC
12-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Here is the thread where I inserted some pictures. There are comments on what I ran into. All in all it was a really easy job.

https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=4406&highlight=

bobwells
01-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Jesse I think building the space shuttle would've been easy for you :wink: have a Very Happy New Year and thanks again for all your help! bob

zegm
01-01-2008, 07:44 PM
I am wondering why and how a steering cable could be worn out after 2 years. I have the original in the 1975 MasterCraft. I am sure it is a Teleflex or Morris cable. I would suspect incorrect routing???

JesseC
01-01-2008, 08:09 PM
I am wondering why and how a steering cable could be worn out after 2 years. I have the original in the 1975 MasterCraft. I am sure it is a Teleflex or Morris cable. I would suspect incorrect routing???

I called Skiers choice back when I replcaed mine and they told me that the cable that was installed in the boats have been upgraded. The replacement cable that you get from them is NOT the exact same cable that comes out of the boat. They changed the end that is at the Keel and it is supposed to keep water out better. I just made sure to pack mine FULL of marine grease to try and battle the water!

The newer LSV models havethe modified cables in them.

Note for replacement: Just make sure you get all of the screws out of the floor. There are about 6 of them inside each of the "seating" holes where the cushions go. Do not force the floor up, it is very easy to lift free. If you miss any screws, you are gonna have issues putting the floor back and it not rattling or creaking. This is a very easy task

MasterMind3002
01-01-2008, 09:54 PM
My brother has an 05 Supra Launch 21 DD. Very nice boat, but he's had steering issues since the 2nd season. He was told by the folks at SC that bilge water collected around the stern end of the cable and corroded it. They changed the cable under warranty and he still had an issue with hard steering. It was finally determined that the rudder shaft fitting in the hull had become elongated and egg shaped. Just something to check while your changing that cable. It might save you from taking it apart again.

Good luck

zegm
01-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Now I am a little concerned. I have no problems with a 32 year old cable that sits in a bath of water almost all summer. I have had to replace the rudder port due to it being worn out after years of usage but the cable still looks fine. I hope this is not an issue of poor "Chinese" material??? With the he last 2 Silverados I owned the cables broke on the tailgate after a couple of years. I noticed when I purchase a new one from the dealer a sticker on it "made in China"! Could it be that Teleflex which now owns Morse cables too has a factory there (if these are Teleflex)????

MasterMind3002
01-09-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm not sure who makes the Moomba/Supra steering cables. But in my experience, changing out the steering cable every few years is just normal maintenance. I replaced the cable in my Nautique and about everyone I know that has a boat older than 5 years old has replaced one.

It would appear from the post in here that you should expect to change it from time to time if your planning on keeping your new Moomba for 25 years :D

zegm
01-09-2008, 11:52 PM
When I replaced the rudder port I checked the cable and it was fine! It could be that these heavier boats take more force to turn and this could cause the wear. And according to my wife the household banker we will be keeping it for 25 years! :lol:

Buttafewcoe
01-10-2008, 05:23 AM
Naw, the boat is heavy in the arse and any water in the bilge tends to run to the back of the boat submerging the cable end. After a period, the cable freezes in the sheave. I usually put a liberal coat of marine grease on the exposed ends to act as a barrier, at the rudder and hand controls.
Hope this helps
B

zegm
01-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Yeah the water does not collect in the stern of the old DD Mastercraft. It gathers right under the motor. This old boat seeps water from the rudder and the driveshaft, not much but she does leak. I have replaced the packing several times and can tighten down so that you only see a drop ever few minutes. Do the new ones stay pretty dry?

Buttafewcoe
01-17-2008, 04:16 AM
I think so. The dripless seal is supposed to be pretty neat.
B