PDA

View Full Version : Help with Used Boat Madness!!

jaybellnv
12-19-2007, 10:19 AM
1) I am looking for a 2003 - 2006 Outback V or LSV for under $30,000
2) Can anyone explain the Nada retail values as compared to the private party value?
3) Regarding NADA options - do you value package options separately, even if the used value is more than the original cost of the options options? (i.e. tower package is $1800, but Nada values a tower and ballast at $2700)

Any help is appreciated

Jay

Buttafewcoe
12-19-2007, 10:26 AM
These style boats really hold their resale value. NADA is a good tool to give you an idea of what they are going for, but a lot of factors influences asking price.
You gotta ax yersef when buying used, 'do I feel like I got a good deal?'...'did I get all the options I wanted?'
Make an offer.....worst they can say is 'no'.
Hope this helps
B

Northofthe49th
12-19-2007, 08:08 PM
I just bought a 04 OB with a 107 hrs on ebay for 22k.
I've seen a 03 V go for 24k if your're patient you'll find what you want.

MasterMind3002
12-19-2007, 10:23 PM
Butta is right ..........inboards hold their value. Most of us are used to buying cars and loosing our shirt the first year. I traded my 07 Outback for an 08 and walked out of the dealership feeling like I was wearing a mask and gun. :D It's a great feeling to buy a boat, use it for a season and get the majority of your money back.

The Moomba line is notorious for great resale value. In my case, it was smarter to buy a new boat rather than a 2-3 year old model. The difference in the money was minimal and I orderd what I wanted. No disappointments!!! IMHO nothing could suck worse than buying a boat strictly on the price and screwing yourself out of the options you require to fill your needs.

I personally think the NADA works ok as a guide, but boat condition, where you live, and demand for the model your searching for can drive the price up or down considerably.

You might check out the boat shows and the dealer incentives right now. You might be surprised at the deals you can get on new boats. I was.

One thing for sure, when you find that right boat its a beautiful thing

Nafplio
12-20-2007, 12:24 AM
I think you'll be a little better off if you can find a used one with some good options. A new boat warranty is great, but I haven't needed it yet. The retail value is more or less what you'd expect a dealer to give you for it, and what most banks will let you borrow.
As far as options, their value depends a lot on how you plan to use the boat. Mine came with tower, wakeplate, triple ballast, and perfect pass. I highly recommend all those. I've added a bunch of options since then. I recently bought an FAE and plan to add a heater and shower in '08. These I don't need, but they should make boating more enjoyable. Moombas are built this way. The more options you add, the more spendy they get. Go to the boat builder and play with options to see the difference.
Good luck with the search. These boats are great. I couldn't imagine a summer without one.

jaybellnv
12-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks for everyone for their replies!!!

Please keep the advice coming!

Laz
12-26-2007, 08:10 PM
MasterMind, I gotta ask:

Why would you trade in a 2007 for a 2008. The only changes are cosmetic and since these boats hold there resale value so well, a 2007 Outback should still float.

What are you going to do when the 2009's come out?

Laz

MasterMind3002
12-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Hey Laz

When the 2009's hit the showrooms I'll trade again. And here's why:

#1 Besides the normal family use, I use my boat to pull a ski show during the summer. This alone isn't reason enough to trade every year, but I like having a new boat for safety reasons. I don't have to worry about things breaking or reliablity. Besides that my dealer likes the advertising value of having an Outback running head to head with the new 206 Nautiques in the show. What better way to show the general public that the Outback is all the boat the Nautique is for $15000.00 - $20000.00 less? My dealer is a super nice guy and he makes it "appealing" for me to trade each year. The exact numbers are classified. 8)

#2 It is financially smart in my mind even without the dealer help. The first years depreciation is almost nothing on a well equipped boat. If you pay cash like I do, and keep the boat in awesome shape you can recover most of your money selling it outright. I have no maintenance other than the 25 hour oil change. I have no winter storage. I have no winterization fees. (I pick the new boat up in April, drop it off in October.) I pay no insurance in the winter months. (Event insurance is expensive by the way) Taking all this into consideration, my depreciation washes out nicely.

When you really sit down and run the numbers, the annual maintainence cost and repair cost of a 3-4 year old boat can easily exceed what it cost me each year to own a new boat. My dad used to say that a boat is just a hole in the water you throw money into. That rule applies to boats with a few seasons on them, but not new ones. Oh and the most important reason, it gives me a stiffy everytime I catch a whiff of that new boat smell :D

Laz
12-27-2007, 12:37 AM
I'm glad I asked. I envy your arrangement.

Interesting that you have the Correct Craft boats going head to head with the Moomba.

Before buying Outback, I test drove a Ski Nautique 206. I loved it and thought it was as good as it could get. Then I tried the Outback and realized it was virtually identical. So I bought the Outback. The money I saved will go into things like maintenance and indoor winter storage.

How do you find the comparison?

MasterMind3002
12-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Laz

I have owned Nautiques and I frequently drive them. The 206 Nautique and the Outback are very very similar. Both boats have advantages and disadvantages.

The Outback has the added advantage of a wider beam. This gives the Outback better stability and more room inside. The Outback manuevers better in tight quarters, the turning radius is better. The Nautique is heavier so the Outback has a better holeshot. I like the overall look of the Outback better too..........just my personal preference. The Boat Mate trailers are better than the Nautique trailers too.........easier to load.

The Nautique is a bit "lighter" in the rear end. This makes swamp turning and power turning easier but also causes the rear of the boat to pull off track if you have five guys cutting toward the ramp. My Outback stays nice a true even with nearly 1000Lbs pulling off one side. I think the slalom wake is a bit smoother on the Nautique(sorry guys but its true) The Nautiques seem to be dampened better so they are quieter. This also makes them heavier. I like some of the Nautique colors better too. Moomba needs to add fusion (lime green) to the color line up.

The bottom line is the price. It is totally ridiculous to spend 15000.00 to 20000.00 more on a boat when the Outback and the 206 are so close in performance and design. There is virtually no difference in fit and finish. They are both top notch boats.

One of our other show drivers is a DIE HARD Nautique guy. He has bought a new Nautique every year for 25 years. He drove my Outback last spring and it totally killed him that he couldn't come up with anything bad to say about it.

shinknasty
12-29-2007, 04:30 PM
jay you say you are looking for an outback v for under 30000 i got one for sale 2006 outback v its yellow and white i just bought some tower lights to put on it i need to sell it my wife wants a lsv so i need to sell if you are interested i will email you some pics

jaybellnv
12-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Jay

jaybellnv
01-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Laz:

I know you said your transaction details are 'classified,' however can you tell me how your trade-in value compares to NADA low retail?

Jay

MasterMind3002
01-02-2008, 09:57 PM
I never look at the book values. How much I have to pay difference is all I'm concerned with since I'm currently trading every year.

I would definately be more concerned with those values if I were trading every 3 years or more.

In my past experience, I don't think it matters if you use KBB or NADA as long as you and the dealer are both using the same book.

Garn
01-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Shrinknasty,

Do you still have that Outback V for sale?

Garn