PDA

View Full Version : Draining V-Drive

Yellowmobius
12-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Hey guys,

Just wondering what you guys see when you pull the drain plugs.
I have a 2004 Mobius. Here my steps.
1. remove the two water strainers - lots of water drains out of the strainers and hoses
2. remove the (2) top plugs on the v-drive - little to no water comes out.
Then I take the air hose and blow air into the jacket, I still don't get a lot of additional water out.

That is basically how I leave it. I haven't had any problems, however, I am concerned there is still water in the lower half of the v-drive.

Remember to check the nut/bolt - driveshaft to v-drive for tightness.
P.S. If anyone is in the market for a drysuit check them out.
http://www.wakezone.biz/WakeZone%20Dry%20Suits.htm
I also have a few LF bindings on closeout!
Thanks

Nafplio
12-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Sounds about right Bruce. Never had a problem either. I don't think water goes to the bottom, I think the cooler is just on top of the unit.
Dang, you're just now winterizing?

Yellowmobius
12-07-2007, 12:56 PM
I am telling you, with a drysuit you can ride right up to freeze if you want. Hard part is finding someone as crazy as you to drive!

Nafplio
12-07-2007, 01:07 PM
You're right about that. You got a heater on your Lsv Bruce?

Yellowmobius
12-07-2007, 01:20 PM
You know it!
I started the year March 25th with Ice chunks still floating!

Photo at the bottom of the page
http://www.wakezone.biz/photo.htm
It was taken as we were loading (that is way the daughter "looks" cold)
Air temp was around 75 that day

JesseC
12-07-2007, 01:52 PM
When you pulled the strainers almost all of the water will come out of the vDrive. Ony the top inch or so on the VDrive actualy contains water. If you look closely, you will see where the oil lines go in one side and out the other on the top of the unit. There is a double S shaped tube in the top of the Vdrive that allows the water to cool the oil lines.

Note: There is a screen that you are supposed to clean on the bottom of the VDrive. A lot of people miss this. I usually clean it every other season. It is located at the very bottom and comes out with the oil line itself. Be sure to clean the screen and put it back with pipe tape.

Yellowmobius
12-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Thanks guys, it wasn't making sense to drain water from the top. When do you ever drain anything against the force of gravity?

Thanks again for the input.