PDA

View Full Version : considering 05 XLV - some questions

tlatoani
11-29-2007, 12:49 AM
Hi everyone, obviously new here. I am looking at an 05 XLV. IT appears to be a gravity games edition. I have a few questions I'm hoping people can answer:

-How can I tell if it truly is a GG boat? What options are in the GG package? I'm told it has an upgraded engine but I can't find specs or how to tell for sure. I can't find a list of options for 05 anywhere.

-It is in pretty nice shape, but there is a small crack that has been repaired. It is located next to the plate that the drive shaft comes out of on the bottom. I'd say it's about 2" long. It has been repaired, but not very well. There is clear caulk around the metal plate that I'm not sure is factory. The dealer said they will have their gelcoat guy fix this. Should I be concerned about more damage than is obvious? I can send a picture if anyone is willing to take a look.

-It does not have perfect pass. I'm probably going to add this myself-I'm told the install is not too bad. Should I replace a speedo or put it elsewhere? The dealer is having the paddle wheel replaced, but I think I may wait to get the GPS PP system that is coming out soon. Is buying direct the best way to do it?

-It's been on a lift-would this exposure to the elements damage the tower speakers over time? Can I easily add tower lights?

-It sounded sort of whiney in reverse, but it may just be normal gearbox noise.

-the tower rattled a bit. The tower mirror also shook somewhat, especially at idle.

Anything else I should look at? It has 110 hours. The interior looked decent and it drove pretty well.

Thanks a ton.

dtlaine
11-29-2007, 01:21 AM
I'll answer the questions I can:

1) Go to the "About Moomba" section @ moomba.com. You'll see the archive, and it will have specs for the 2005 models. It appears as though there was no Gravity Games edition boat in 2005.

2) Would the speakers be better off if the boat was stored under cover? Yes. Even if they were in the sun and rain for 3 yrs, marine rated speakers should still work fine. I would guess that the UV rays are not good for the materials, but I'm not sure.

3) All inboard boats I've ever driven have been whiny in reverse. I drove one w/ .3 hrs last week, and it was whiny.

4) I don't know what to say about the rattling tower/mirror. Is it the 310 hp carb motor? If so, they are rough @ idle. Maybe go drive it for a while until it gets up to 160 degrees (normal operating temp) to see if the rattling goes away.

5) At 110 hrs, it should have just had its 2nd oil change and a new impeller. It should also have the v-drive fluid changed every 100 hrs as well (I believe).

I've never dealt w/ gel coat issues, so maybe someone can give advice about your crack in the boat.

Be sure you're getting a deal on the boat. I know my local dealers are selling brand new 2007's for relatively cheap (I'm picking up a 2007 OB V w/ tower, racks, depth sounder, bimini top, and Gravity III ballast for $34,500 on Sat.

tlatoani
11-29-2007, 02:30 AM
I'll answer the questions I can:

1) Go to the "About Moomba" section @ moomba.com. You'll see the archive, and it will have specs for the 2005 models. It appears as though there was no Gravity Games edition boat in 2005.

2) Would the speakers be better off if the boat was stored under cover? Yes. Even if they were in the sun and rain for 3 yrs, marine rated speakers should still work fine. I would guess that the UV rays are not good for the materials, but I'm not sure.

3) All inboard boats I've ever driven have been whiny in reverse. I drove one w/ .3 hrs last week, and it was whiny.

4) I don't know what to say about the rattling tower/mirror. Is it the 310 hp carb motor? If so, they are rough @ idle. Maybe go drive it for a while until it gets up to 160 degrees (normal operating temp) to see if the rattling goes away.

5) At 110 hrs, it should have just had its 2nd oil change and a new impeller. It should also have the v-drive fluid changed every 100 hrs as well (I believe).

I've never dealt w/ gel coat issues, so maybe someone can give advice about your crack in the boat.

Be sure you're getting a deal on the boat. I know my local dealers are selling brand new 2007's for relatively cheap (I'm picking up a 2007 OB V w/ tower, racks, depth sounder, bimini top, and Gravity III ballast for $34,500 on Sat.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the info. They must have just added the GG stickers to a boat with the same dual color scheme.

The mirror just vibrates bout a half inch up/down at idle. I guess I should say that the tower makes a bit of a rattling noise going through waves. It seems pretty solid though.

He said it is the upgraded engine. I'm guessing the 325, which is fuel injected. I dont know how to tell though. tips?

The price seems reasonable to me. I love the size of the xlv.

Here's a pic:
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/4981/69983924lh2.jpg[/img]

Buttafewcoe
11-29-2007, 04:51 AM
Upgraded engine could mean from carb (310 hp) to efi (325 hp), or I think they were offering a 340 hp too.
Hope this helps
B

04OUTBACK
11-29-2007, 09:26 AM
If it is not GG edition, someone went to a lot of trouble to get the paint right and all the stickers in the right places..
I have 06 LSV and my tower rattles a bit when hitting waves.. I think it has to do with all the joints on it to fold down..
Sounds like a GOOD service visit would be important before purchase.. get them to do as said above: Oil, tranny and v drive fluids, impeller, spark plugs, maybe some fresh gas or load up with stabil.. may have some old gas in it..
You might want to have a fiberglass shop look at the crack.. could be only gel coat or worse...
Looks great in the water..

Jon
11-29-2007, 01:10 PM
That is definitely the gravity games edition Moomba for 2005. You couldn't order a boat with those colors in lines unless it was a gravity edition.

Gravity package in 05 was simple, special gelcoat colors, sponsor graphics, custom black dash, and tower mirror arm.

Is the crack gelcoat or fiberglass? If just gelcoat don't stress about it but get it fixed before you take delivery. Unfortunately gelcoat cracks are common in all boats now.

I'd replace one of your speeedos with perfect pass.

Tower speakers should be fine. The hardest part about adding lights is just running the wires through the tower. Use some fish tape and take your time with it and you should get it no problem.

All inboards whine in reverse.

Make sure all of your screws and bolts are tight on the tower. All towers will have some play in it. The more weight you put on them (speakers, lights, etc) the more the tower will move.

Make sure you have all new fluid and test drive it and you should be good to go.

Jon
11-29-2007, 01:10 PM
That is definitely the gravity games edition Moomba for 2005. You couldn't order a boat with those colors in lines unless it was a gravity edition.

Gravity package in 05 was simple, special gelcoat colors, sponsor graphics, custom black dash, and tower mirror arm.

Is the crack gelcoat or fiberglass? If just gelcoat don't stress about it but get it fixed before you take delivery. Unfortunately gelcoat cracks are common in all boats now.

I'd replace one of your speeedos with perfect pass.

Tower speakers should be fine. The hardest part about adding lights is just running the wires through the tower. Use some fish tape and take your time with it and you should get it no problem.

All inboards whine in reverse.

Make sure all of your screws and bolts are tight on the tower. All towers will have some play in it. The more weight you put on them (speakers, lights, etc) the more the tower will move.

Make sure you have all new fluid and test drive it and you should be good to go.

tlatoani
11-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Good info. thanks. I did take a pic of the crack. I cant tell how deep it went...what do you guys think? There is some(unusual?) clear caulk there too. Obviously the gel repair isn't great, which is why I noticed it. Is this fiberglass? That would be a bad place for damage.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/9418/imag0018rq7.jpg

It is at a dealer on consignment. They are having their repair guy look at it. I'll have them do the full tuneup/winterization I guess-though I don't mind doing some of it myself.

zabooda
11-29-2007, 04:19 PM
The crack is much larger than gelcoat cracks and if it were somewhere else on the hull I would believe it was caused by a submerged object but with the crack being that close to the support it could have been caused by unusual lateral forces on the support by a side hit on the support or loose mounting bolts at one time where the torque would put an uneven pressure on that side. I would say the highest probability would be loose bolts. I recommend dropping the support and fixing the area around and underneath the support. I don't think it is a show stopper if you didn't notice any vibration during the test drive.

qb12
11-29-2007, 04:19 PM
the pics looks like the crack is by the tracking fin. if so my guess would be that it has hit something causing stress on that portion of the fiberglass.

Buttafewcoe
11-29-2007, 07:34 PM
IMHO, that looks like a serious whack. Def could be a prob with engine and shaft alignment. Certainly get that checked out.
Can you see on the inside of the hull opposite where the outside damage is? If nothing is visually apparent, mebe not so bad, I would take the time to inspect, tho.
Although it can prolly be repaired, it's not a just a simple fix. I'd knock another 2k off for that, unless they make good on it.
In the end, it's up to you. If you feel you're getting the 'deal', then dive in. Like ole boy said, not a show stopper 'if the price is right' or/if/and you make the repair yerself, or/if/and you are satisfied with said work performed. But right there at the shaft strut couldn't a been much worse of a place. Structual integrity, esp. there is a must.
Hope this helps
B

tlatoani
11-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Yeah, I am waffling on the whole thing right now. It's about 4 hours from me, so I don't really have a chance to go look at it again. I'll try to get the dealer to send me more pictures, including the inside if possible.

argh. That makes 12 hours total driving to look at 2 different boats that were somewhat disappointing.

bambam26
11-30-2007, 02:41 PM
How much are they asking for the boat?

tlatoani
11-30-2007, 03:44 PM
33.5. It has just over 100 hours on it. Interior and (the rest of) the hull are in pretty nice shape.

bambam26
11-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Well for a few thousand more you would get piece of mind with a new boat. and Warranty etc....I just ordered a LS with a lot on it for just over 38,000...... I know its not the GG addition but its pretty sweet none the less. Just my 2 cents worth.............

tlatoani
11-30-2007, 06:41 PM
That's the debate...used 23' or new 20/21. I can really use the room though.

bambam26
11-30-2007, 07:11 PM
I was very surprised at the amount of room in the LS, I was dead set against a DD boat and had plans for the V-drive til we sat in it and compared the 2. I debated going used also, but for the money and the piece of mind a new boat suited us better. Just my 2 cents worth.....

smokedog2
11-30-2007, 10:48 PM
Is this thing with a dealer? Where? I would think they would fix that before they tried to sell it.

Maybe it is on consignment? If so, wait until there is snow and go a little lower.

You get a better interest rate with a new boat, that further cuts the spread.

tlatoani
12-01-2007, 12:18 AM
It is at a dealer on consignment. There is no way I can afford a new XLV-I really havent seen many for sale used either. I dont think I can get a new v-drive for anywhere close to the same range. (yes I want a V for the wake size...and the 23 is HUGE for me).

I do appreciate the input-keep it coming.

I got more info today. They are doing a fiberglass repair. I guess the original owners had it in for prop repair. The strut and the driveshaft were replaced. I guess I'll see how the repair looks monday or tuesday...

zabooda
12-01-2007, 01:15 AM
I would give a price you can't turn down. It is a extreme buyers market with the ecomony expected to be the worst in six years, Winnebago the leading indicator for recreation equipment sales is expected to take a loss this year (first one in six years), the mortgage crisis and big drops in home prices. You should be able to pick your price now. If not, wait a few months and see how desperate these sellers are. These people who are taking $100k losses on their homes is comparable to taking a $10k loss on a boat and that will probably happen this spring. If you have a secure job during a recession that is a great time to buy.

Buttafewcoe
12-01-2007, 08:38 AM
33.5k is a great price for that style, make, model, hrs, etc. If they are doing that fiberglass repair, and you are satisfied with the workmanship, you might have found yer baby.
Hope this helps
B