PDA

View Full Version : stress cracks...?

bobwells
11-23-2007, 08:20 AM
I've got a '98 mobius and its got some small stress cracks around the tower base. any ideas on how I can "beef -up" this area to prevent problems down the road? also would like to replace rubber gaskets under tower bases as they are beggining to ooze out... can you still purchase these or should I try to find some material to cut me some from? thanks, bob

zabooda
11-24-2007, 05:22 AM
I have a 98 Mobius and the spider cracks around the stanchions have not progressed any further than when I bought the boat in 2002. The mounting is solid as I check the bolts periodically but they haven't budged. Adding reinforment would be underneath in the gunwales and there is reinforcement there now. You may want to just reseat the tower but getting the bolts loosened up may be a chore.

bobwells
11-24-2007, 07:35 AM
thanks zab, i'll try to locate some new rubber and replace it. drivers side may take a little more umph, i can see on the passenger side the small fiberglass blocks from under-neath that the mounting bolts go thru, it looks like the drivers side may be a little tougher to get to. do you know if you can still order the rubber "gasket" for the '98 tower mounts?

thanks again and have a GREAT CHRISTMAS SEASON !!!

smokedog2
11-24-2007, 11:01 AM
I suspect those are gel coat cracks and not structural. Gel coat is very thin, very hard and does not flex or drill well. They can be repaired and generally do not return.

It is my opinion that the tightness of the tower can contribute to this too loose or too tight are both a problem. I try to be tight without crushing the gel coat.

There are repair kits you can buy. I would not fuss with it. Go tot the dealer, they have practiced on someone else’s boat.