PDA

View Full Version : FI Upgrade

dtlaine
11-20-2007, 06:58 PM
How much extra did it cost to get the 325 EFI motor over the carb motor in a 2006 Outback V? I'm contemplating a carbureted 2006 Outback V for $27k and a 2007 new Outback V for $35k. The 2007 has Gravity III, and the 2006 has no ballast. Of course, the 2006 doesn't have Moomba Cruise, either. $8k is a lot of money, though. The 2006 has tower speakers, and the 2007 does not. The 2006 has 40 hrs. The 2007 also would have a depth sounder, Moomba cleats, and a bimini top, which the 2006 doesn't. What do you guys think is a better deal?

Thank you.

JoeTechie
11-20-2007, 09:56 PM
The 325hp was about $1175 upgrade for 06. The 07 sounds like a MUCH better deal IMHO.

-J

Sled491
11-20-2007, 11:19 PM
You sure about that cruise? I was under the impression all Moombas came with the moomba cruise, and that Perfect Pass was the upgrade. Even still the EFI and ballast and the few other features will add up to more boating pleasure. You might not think cleats are important until you have to tie up using your HS bars. Same goes for the Bimini, I think Joe is right the 07 might be the better deal in the end.

dtlaine
11-21-2007, 12:06 AM
Here's a picture of the dash (and others). I don't see the EZ Cruise on the dash. My neighbor has an '06 EFI, and his has the EZ Cruise, so I'm guessing that the EZ Cruise was only for EFI models (thus standard for 2007).

http://www.bayareawatersports.com/cgi-bin/SearchEngine/jsp/photo_gallery.asp?boatid=1213749&pageno=1&picpos=6&sspath=

I have cleats on my 2000 OB, and I would put them on that 2006 either way. I found some flush mount cleats for $25/pr. I'd have to install them, but I'll definitely have cleats. A Bimini top is $450 installed.

It's a tough decision.

Sled491
11-21-2007, 07:53 AM
Wow, I guess I am wrong about the cruise. Looks like a nice boat, your call in the end though.

04OUTBACK
11-21-2007, 09:34 AM
My only suggestion is make sure you get the Majors you want when you buy it... It is easier to add speakers, cleats etc than it is perf pass/cruise and additional built in ballast.
I bought an Outback in '06, sold in 07 to buy an LSV... Main goals were auto ballast...got perf pass along with and LOVE. Helps wife out tremendously...

My Cheap $ide would say go with the 06 but practical Side would say get what fits you most. If you don't need ballast and cruise....go with the deal. After having both Carb and EFI within a year....I don't much have a preference other than having Perf Pass. My carb ran great so starting was never an issue...

Best of luck and glad you have this decision before you... both end well!

Buttafewcoe
11-21-2007, 11:22 AM
EFI is nice, I'm sure, but the best upgrade to water craft has been electronic ignition. I know this because me old runabout had the ole points and rotor set up. I was always having to mess with it to keep her running good. Like stated previously, really not a lot of diff between efi and carb, but the carb does have its drawbacks. And EFI seems to be the wave of the future and will help resale. My carburated '04 is going on 4 yrs old and no probs so far.
Hope this helps
B

zegm
11-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Every heard of Pertronix Ignitors the electronic ignition kit!!! Awesome! Best thing ever did to the ole girl! About Carbs.....
No problems if you don't mind carrying a little screw driver to adjust the mixture from time to time like I have to do with the Holly on the ole MC.

Come on Atlanta Boat show I want EFI

Buttafewcoe
11-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Cheaper to work on too; you'll know if you ever have to replace injectors or your computer goes defunkt.
B

zegm
11-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Well actually I have been driving Bosch Fuel Injected BMW's for over 20 years, never lost an injector and never lost a computer. Can't say if that holds true for the Delphi systems though. The carb (Holley) is very moody on the old MC.

Buttafewcoe
11-21-2007, 04:41 PM
I don't know. Boats tend to lead a a rougher life and are generally subject to long 'idle times' of non use. If you're like me, you drive yer car every day of the world keeping good, clean fuel in it with frequent fill ups. However, my boat, on a good week in the summer, may see 3 to 4 days of use but not every week. And fill ups maybe twice a month
Then from November to about March she sits forlornly (sp?) in the garage.
I'm not throwing off on EFI, but I'm not kicking mesef in the arse for not getting it, either.
I'd save the 8k for some toys.
B

zegm
11-21-2007, 05:12 PM
I cannot say it is bad to have a carb because I have had one for 22 years but I am ready for FI. This ole Holley can be finicky, she will not run cold, etc. I have a 1979 BMW that I drive maybe a month out of the year and the FI does fine, but I think it is because I use Chevron Techroline! Another issue I have with the Holley is the gasket set, 50 dollars for a simple little kit!!! Its another one of those "Marine" applications that get you! Mind you if I was going to buy a new Moomba back when you did the carb issue would not have stopped me, I am sure that they have come a long way since the 70's. I am also lucky that my boat sits on the dock in my backyard, when we want to go we just get in and go, if I need to let it run I just go down and start it and let it run for awhile.

04OUTBACK
11-21-2007, 07:47 PM
So, ALl this talk about fuel injectors... does anyone run any fuel injector cleaner through their system regularly?
ZEGM, good point on using the Chevron gas. I have heard a mechanic or two speak well of the techroline.... said (speaking of a car) to run a tank of Chevron through periodically and would make a big difference. I try to use good gas... $0.02/ gal is usually not worth the savings.. There is a Chevron near my storage that is fairly easy to get in/out of...

But back to the question, do you use fuel injector cleaner additives or such?

BW

Sled491
11-21-2007, 09:56 PM
My boat is still basically new, so I haven't yet, but I run cleaners regularly through my company vehicles as well as through my personal truck. I have not started to run it through my wifes car yet. I guess I'm saying that when the time is right I will probably start to run it through the old Outback

Buttafewcoe
11-22-2007, 04:00 AM
Good point about the cleaners. And you can find quality ones fer carbs, too.
In the end, it comes down to proper care and maintenance which ever system you have. At a minimum, follow mfg's recommendations on intervals for service, avoid the ethanol, and don't let little things go. Anything above the minimum is insurance.
The old '88 Bayliner I had was 15 yrs old when I let her go and still running good. A friend of mine bought it and I see him on the lake almost every weekend.
B

dtlaine
11-22-2007, 10:46 AM
How could an '88 Bayliner be 25 yrs old? It's not 2013 yet.

Buttafewcoe
11-22-2007, 12:57 PM
my bad...typo....15 yrs...typing in the dark this morning and dint proof read.....good lookin' out, dt
:oops:
B

Sled491
11-22-2007, 09:51 PM
No you were right isn't Bayliner Technology about 25 yrs out :lol:

Man I kill myself sometimes

zegm
11-23-2007, 01:24 AM
Ah to answer the question of Fuel Injection Cleaner there are 2 products I use:
1. LubriMoly
2. Techroline

And let me say this right here right now, Fuel Injection is a magnitude better than Carbs! Period! Deposits will clog jets as easily as Fuel Injectors! But a closed loop system with an O2 sensor will correct itself and its own little problems whereas a carb cannot. Bosch invented FI for WWII German fighter planes, no problems with floats going inverted, same for bouncing over big waves no float problems.

Buttafewcoe
11-23-2007, 11:27 AM
All true. And the automotive industry has made FI standard for a very long time. Prolly a reason for that, right?
Bayliner is an economical entry into boating.
Moomba is an economical entry in to ski / performance / wakeboard boating.
Both are less expensive than their competitors models.
Coincidence or good marketing strategy?
I'm still not kicking myself for not getting FI, or trading in me Bayliner.
:wink:
B

zegm
11-23-2007, 03:46 PM
And we are not trading in our MasterCraft because it has a carburator. We want a new V drive that allows us to take more than 4 people along for the ride! And they all come with FI now so I am happy on that note. And the best Value I have seen for MY dollar is a Moomba!!!!
Come on Jan. Boat show!!!!!

Buttafewcoe
11-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Hope to get a 'V' myself, one of these days. The Missus says I got to make due w/ the Outback fer now. I'm ok with that.
8)
B

MasterMind3002
11-23-2007, 10:19 PM
Fuel Injection is the only way to go IMHO. Better fuel efficiency, more power, better throttle response and no more waiting 20 minutes for that damned engine to warm up.

FYI - the 325 Indmar is a monster........especially in the Outback. Big power and torque in a light boat means big thrills. I drove a 206 Nautique this summer and my Outback was noticable quicker from the hole shot all the way thru to WOT. And the 206 cost 15000.00 more :shock:

Sled491
11-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Your right MM. I remember when we had 225 hp in an old Nautique. We thought that was just awsum power. The 325HP in the outback is light years ahead. I know every one calls these boats entry level and cheap, but except for a few trim items I don't see many better ski boats on the water. 325hp is 325hp. I've driven 24ft Supras and have friends on the lake with Mastercrafts, Ski Sannger, Nautiques, show how there boats are better than mine and I'll give you a cookie :lol:

In fact my buddy with the Ski Sanger drools over my boat every time we tie up together

Buttafewcoe
11-25-2007, 10:01 AM
.... remember when we had 225 hp in an old Nautique we thought that was just awsum ......
The extra 100 hp in yer Moomba prolly doesn't hurt either
:D
B

zegm
11-25-2007, 11:48 AM
We were able to test drive an Outback V this summer for over an hour and it was nice and quick, yes we fell in love. BUT! It was not as fast as our Old MC out of the hole. We bought this 1975 MC from a guy who did some kind of engine work to it, cam and Aluminum Marine Headers. We have actually never lost a drag race in the boat (Made some new MC owners red faced when that old thing left them). Which would explain why I dislocated my middle finger the first time I got behind the boat and I told my wife to HIT IT! (We came from a 19ft. 115Hp boat where you floored it to get up. WOT, PIN) I also have to guess that this boat only weights about 2000lbs as there is nothing to it a hull with a motor and with the only storage being the glove box. I am sure it is not pushing near 300hp but being 1000lbs lighter does wonders.

MasterMind3002
11-26-2007, 08:30 PM
zegm, the V drives don't have the hole shot the direct drives do.............I don't care what anyone says. I've driven and skied behind both...........the DD hauls me out faster hands down. Something about that rear engine design sucks some of the power out of them.

I remember those days sled491, when 200 hp made you the big dog on the porch :lol: Not anymore!!

I ran head-to-head with my 07 Outback last year against an 07 206 Nautique and a 05 206 Nautique almost every weekend during ski shows. The Nautiques at certainly nice boats and as a previous Nautique owner I'll never bad mouth them. However, the Outback will do EVERYTHING the Nautiques do for 15000.00 - 20000.00 less. I personally think the fit and finish is just as good on the Outback and the Outback has more room on the inside due to its additional width. The extra width also makes it more stable in rough water. And most importantly, the Outback doesn't have those pathetic quiet exhaust.............I like my boat to growl a little :D

04OUTBACK
11-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Ditto MasterMind..
Moved from 04 Outback DD with 310hp to 06 Mobius LSV with 325Hp in September...
Mobius even has 4blade wake prop.. definite difference in hole shot.. NO Shortage of power... just not as spry out of the hole! The outback was a blast to run around in .. the day I sold it was a SLICK Calm day and we rode around for the test drive.. just a blast to ride! Of course, Outback DD weighs a bit less than LSV! Love them both... love my LSV Better!

zegm
11-26-2007, 11:34 PM
OK so I can't be the fastest DD on the lake anymore but I sure will look nice in a New Pretty V drive. Not only will I have room for the pretty wife but with a V drive I can carry along some other babes like the other guys I see on this site. But please don't alert the wife to my ulterior motive! 8)

Sled491
11-26-2007, 11:44 PM
So....ah, what's it worth to ya 8)

zegm
11-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Sled,
Ahhhhhhh..........I guess a trip in the Gulf for Kings or Wahoo behind my 25ft Proline???

Sled491
11-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Careful now, I'll be in Orlando for the last part of Febuary for about 2 - 3 weeks, I might just show up! :lol:

zegm
11-27-2007, 11:36 PM
sled,
Well you need to wait until late April or early May that's when the water warms up and the fish venture up from the south. Usually the first sign is Spanish Mackerel then everything else follows.