PDA

View Full Version : Backroll crash

LSV04
11-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Ok - I took a lesson with Kyle Schmidt-it was awesome-I tried about 3-5 air rolls. The crashes werent to bad and I got the idea how to flip-So Itried the same thing off the wake when I got to my boat-lean back against the rope and load the line-I thought of it as the same as a air roll and got popped off the wake violently with not much height and snapped into an low air raley. My ribs were done-maybe broke and I lost about a month of riding because of the pain.Dont do that!!!! Then I tried a few with just a normal wake jump pop and tried to throw it at the peak of my jump.-almost getting around. Is this the correct way because it was much more relaxed than getting thrown into it. Any help is appreciated.

Chefwong
11-18-2007, 03:10 PM
I've been to a Kyle Schmitt clinic before and I was definitely not impressed. If you enjoy doing slide drills for an entire set and listening to metaphors on how wakeboarding could be related to a gumball machine he's the guy for you! He's a very good rider but I just didn’t click with his teaching methods.

For the back roll if you have access to a trampoline I strongly would suggest you get on it and practice rotating in a sideways motion. It makes it a lot easier to figure out how to throw your body on the tramp. When you’re out on the board do a couple of solid wake to wake jumps then go for the flip throwing your body the way you did on the trampoline. Just make sure to keep the handle low and waist orientated. That’s what I would start with and then trouble shoot it from there.