PDA

View Full Version : Running out of balance

Colorado
08-06-2003, 10:56 AM
Aside from the obvious weight distribution...is there anything else that can cause the boat to run out of balance? My boat has recently started to run a little tilted

Thanks

Termite
08-06-2003, 04:59 PM
My '02 Outback does the same thing, listing quite a bit to the right when I have no passengers. If someone is sitting in the passenger seat, however, it runs level. It may be that these are designed in this way in order to run level when you have an observer. I have noticed that when I look at the boat (out of the water) from behind, and the rudder is in the neutral position, that the prop shaft looks to be about an inch to the right (i.e. rudder and prop are not in line). I'm not sure if that is normal, or if that is the reason the boat lists to the right when I'm driving alone.

BensonWdby
08-06-2003, 09:52 PM
In my opinion, AWSA approved ski boats are designed to drive best, best wake, at 36 mph with one driver and one spotter.
When I am driving with no spotter, I put a Fat Sack about half full on the passenger side of the engine.
Maybe you are holding in unexpected places? I know I take on a lot of water, not sure where fromjust yet. I am always running the bilge to make sure I am as empty as possible.

Dave

Yellowmobius
08-07-2003, 07:40 AM
Have you ever tightened the gland packing nut on the drive shaft? It is where the drive sharct goes through the hull. It is supposed to drip water for lubrication, 1 drop every 30 to 40 seconds. It is really easy to adjust. Put your boat in the water, open the clamshell and look back at the drive shaft. You might have to have some help but you should look at it with the baot running and in gear.

SkiKY
06-02-2004, 04:53 PM
Last year, and continuing this year, my boat started listing to starboard when under power even when equally weighted. The boat has to be weighted pretty heavily on the port side to even the boat out. When at rest the boat is perfectly centered. Any idea what could cause this? Not sure if the rotation of the prop is somehow torquing the boat to the right? Any advice?

NH Moomba
06-14-2004, 09:46 PM
My boat Outback LS always lists to one side when it is just me driving with no passengers. The other day I noticed it was doing it more than usual. I realized that I had just installed my Monstertower wakeboard rack (love it) on the drivers side and with a couple of cheapo boards in it , it really changed the way the boat rode. I moved the rack to the other side and it rides much better -nearly level with just myself in the boat. You wouldn't think that could cause much difference but 20 or 30 pounds cantilevered out from the boat by a foot or so makes a big difference.

Andy