PDA

View Full Version : Raw Water Pump Removal

dtlaine
11-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Has anyone ever tried to remove the raw water pump? I see there are 3 bolts holding it to the crank and one underneath. Should it come out easily after they're removed? I tried prying mine, tapping it around w/ a hammer, wedging it out with the unused holes near the bolt holes... all after spraying WD40 on it.

Any hints would be appreciated.

VA LSV
11-08-2007, 12:43 AM
I just pulled mine last week by removing the same 4 bolts. It was a little snug getting it loose from the rubber piece where the bottom bolt secures it to the bracket. In the past I removed the bracket also.

Buttafewcoe
11-08-2007, 06:49 AM
Don't know if you've tried removing the impeller first, then take off the pump housing. Might make it eaiser
B

gearheadstik
07-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Just a warning to future searchers that are having trouble removing there raw water pump flange from the crank pulley... Mine is on a 2001 mobius v... It was stuck, I think from corrosion and being counter sunk in the pulley with a tight fit... I have broken mine tapping on the shaft which is now going to cost me a few hundred bucks so be careful and remove muffler to give you more room to try to dislodge if you too run into this problem... I cant see how a puller can be used, But I sure wish it was built to do this making it much easier.... Like I said this is just a warning to anyone having this same prob.

cab13367
07-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Just a warning to future searchers that are having trouble removing there raw water pump flange from the crank pulley... Mine is on a 2001 mobius v... It was stuck, I think from corrosion and being counter sunk in the pulley with a tight fit... I have broken mine tapping on the shaft which is now going to cost me a few hundred bucks so be careful and remove muffler to give you more room to try to dislodge if you too run into this problem... I cant see how a puller can be used, But I sure wish it was built to do this making it much easier.... Like I said this is just a warning to anyone having this same prob.

I second what gearhead said. Mine would not come off either. I did everything short of going at it with a sledgehammer. In the end, I replaced the impeller without removing the water pump.

Seems like some others have not had much problem getting theirs off, but for some like me and gearhead, it just won't budge.

Al

JesseC
07-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Go to this thread see my post with instructions for a V-Drive.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?p=35648#post35648

NCSUmoomba
07-10-2008, 02:20 PM
I may be missing something, but why would one want to remove the raw water pump?

JesseC
07-10-2008, 02:46 PM
I may be missing something, but why would one want to remove the raw water pump?

Here is my reasoning from the above linked in post.

Note: I am anal retentive when it comes to anything mechanical.....

Quote: JesseC
A lot of people pull the plate and then pull the impeller out leaving the pump on the harmonic balancer. I prefer to pull the entire pump off of the harmonic balancer to inspect the internals. There is a Wear plate on the top side of the pump that sometimes get impeller edges stuck to it, they appear as black line residue and I like to get all of that off so it does not "sand down" my new impeller. I also like to check the play in the bearings. I then use plumbers grease to coat the impeller and inside the housing to help the friction from the first start of the year where everything in there is dry. The first time you pull the pump free of the harmonic balancer is an absolute b!tch. Now I can pull the pump, coat the impeller, reinstall the pump and hoses in about 30 minutes. Get some emery cloth to polish the edge of the pump and inside of the harmonic balancer. This will make the next removal a breeze....hope this helps.

maxpower220
07-10-2008, 04:11 PM
I use a silicone based lube to coat a new impeller for start up. It works really well as it will soak into the top of the rubber and provide lube for a while (til water washes it away).