PDA

View Full Version : Teak swim decks?

bambam26
11-07-2007, 12:30 AM
Okay can anyone give me the pros and cons of a teak deck? I know there is some maint, required but what else? I am considering getting one on my boat when I order. Help me out I am really new to the ski boat world............Thanks

Wake Master
11-07-2007, 12:37 AM
I have had Teak on my 04 lsv and my 07 xlv. It is persomal preference but you don't have to concern yourself with the black oxidation from the mat on the fiberglass platform. In addition it is simple to restore to a like new finish. No scraches or chips in teak!

zegm
11-07-2007, 12:37 AM
Hey Bambam,

When I order my boat at the show I am ordering the teak deck. A teak deck is beautiful and this option is not much plus the dealer told me you get to keep the fiberglass deck also. OK I am not sure if that will work if you order it that way. OK now for the maintenance issue. My 1975 MasterCraft still has the original teak deck on her. Yes you must oil it and take care of it, but let me put it this way, my boat is sitting in the water now like it does all year and I have the original beautiful teak deck. It is not that much work plus I know it will not get as hot as those black fiberglass decks. I clean it and soak it down with teak oil (linseed oil) when I pull her out of the water.

bambam26
11-07-2007, 01:04 AM
Any pictures of the decks???

zegm
11-07-2007, 01:17 AM
while looking throught the forum last night I saw a picture with a teak deck. I might have saved it. let me look

zegm
11-07-2007, 01:23 AM
click up on the search button and type in teak. I just found some pictures of one of a European customer. Yes it looks Great! Plus there is much more information about the pros and cons. But really being an inboard owner for going on 20 plus years I really have to have a teak deck, that was what they all used to come with!

BensonWdby
11-07-2007, 02:17 AM
Teak looks great and it is very traditional.

But lets not forget it is a Rain Forrest product. I know these gas guzzlers are not really eco-friendly but no teak is a simple choice.

I had a little teak on my old boat and was not happy with it. It was more work than it was worth. Maybe I used the wrong products. I used Spar Varnish and that was a mistake. Not sure what these guys use for maintenance. I also did not like how the absorption and drying cycles seemed to loosen the hardware that goes through it.

As far as the black oxidation on the rubber mats. I have a 99 Mobius that sits in the sun in Wisconsin all summer long and never experience any problems. I am thinking that in Washington State you probably won't either. (no promises on that). I think the guys further south probably have more problems because of the increased amount of direct sunlight (aka UV). Just a theory.

Enjoy the boat.
Dave

MasterMind3002
11-07-2007, 08:16 PM
After a year with a fiberglass deck on my 07 I'm convinced its the way to go. My biggest concern was chips and scratches and I was justified. By the end of summer I had some. 10 minutes with a buffer and light compound at the end of the season and the deck looks new again. My 08 will have a fiberglass deck........I'm done with teak and the maintenance.

zegm
11-07-2007, 09:52 PM
I have owned a 1975 MasterCraft for 22 years. Same teak deck, no problems looks great! The boat sits IN the water all summer, I take it out and spend 5 minutes with a rag and some linseed oil before we put her up for our (Panama City FL) off season. How can fiberglass be better than a gorgeous wood product? Or is it that just maybe there is a reason MasterCrafts cost so much? When we order our new boat I will get the teak deck.

MasterMind3002
11-08-2007, 08:13 PM
zegm,

I never said that the fiberglass was better..........its just my personal preference. I've owned boats with the teak platform and they require more maintenance then fiberglass. The fiberglass looks good all the time and you never have to oil it. Plus I prefer the color matched look that fiberglass offers. If the teak "floats your boat" go for it I say :D That's why Moomba offers the choice.

zegm
11-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Gosh I will be giving my age away here, but when I was in High School I got a Government Job as a Life Guard on an Army Recreational Area. I used to sit up on the stand and watch the early (1976-77) MasterCrafts and Nautiques go by and dream of owning one. In those days they all had teak decks and I finally got my hands on a MasterCraft in 1985 a Pretty Green 1975 Stars and Stripes. When we saw the first fiberglass platforms they were not very pretty. But believe it or not my wife and I still have this boat and no one I know still has their original teak deck. I don't know why it has lasted so well because I really don't do much to it. But to continue the tradition I will have to order a teak deck on the Moomba I order this January. But you are right it is subjective!