PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum Stereo/Amp/Tower Speaker Info

Chadro
11-06-2007, 03:19 PM
What's up everybody? From SW Washington... Finally got my own boat this year (been borrowing the parents Malibu for years).

Anyway.... Stereo question. I ran a search and it seems everyone has a different setup. I know it is probably beating a dead horse for the folks that have around for a while. Sorry....

Are most of you running 2 or 3 amps, and if so how are you setting up the fader for tower control?

My plan is to add tower speakers, replace the stock coaxials, add a sub and replace the head unit with an Alpine with 3 sets of preouts and iPod cable.

I am just wondering how I should set up my amps. I was thinking about the Kicker MX700.5 (5 channel) for the boat and Kicker MX350.4 (4 channel) for the tower, but I am willing to check out other options/suggestions/recommendations.

Thanks.....

Cheers,
Chad

deerfield
11-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Chad - Welcome to the Moomba family. Lots of great people. I'm a skier with a pretty stock Outback so will leave to others your questions about sound systems. :D - Deerfield

Bulldgz
11-20-2007, 03:18 AM
Chadro,

Here is what I've done and have been very pleased and surprised at the quality and affordability of my system. :mrgreen: I just want to start out by saying:

I'm not trying to turn your post into a chest pounding competition :!: I know there are other owners who have bone crushing systems, but I am merely listing my steps because of your intial comment about Kicker Amps.

This is what I've done, you may have some interest , or you may not:

Replaced my (6) stock in boats with Polk Audio 6.5's all around.
Installed 2 set Polk 6.5 Liquid Audio Doubles (1)set audio Forms Polk 6.5
Installed Kicker ZX 350.4 (powers tower speakers)
Installed (1) Boston Acoustics G3 Sub _worth every penny you'll spend.
Installed Kicker ZX 700.5 (powers 4 main cabin speakers & Sub)
Ipod interface
The original kenwood deck.

When the radio is on: It powers only the bow speakers. This great for just hanging out and having a bite between sessions and won't drain your battery. or you can choose to have the entire system running.

I used the (3way) stock Aux switch on the dash in the following sequence:

While stereo is on:
Click down> Turns on ZX700.5 (4 main speakers & sub)
Click back to the middle: OFF
Click up> ZX 700.5 (4 main & Sub) & ZX 350.4 (6 tower speakers) Are all ON!

This allows me to shut down the towers when circling back for a fallen rider.

I got most of my components on ebay and a couple other links and saved a ton of money, but I believe there is a moomba member that runs an audio shop in our forums that may be able to help you out on items.

I hope this info helps out! Welcome to the MOOMBA community :D

SanMarzano
04-25-2008, 07:33 PM
so did you wire the amp remote on directly to the rocker switch?

tlatoani
04-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Just ordered a pair of NVS Deviant tower speakers, 6 Polk /Momo 6.5" speakers, and two Kicker 850.4s to drive the towers and the mid/rear speakers. Probably just use the stock tower amp for the fronts. I never sit up there anyway!

Also ordered a Kicker 1000.1 for a sub. Probably a JL 12w6, but I need to make sure it will fit where I want it.

I upgraded the deck to a newer kenwood with 3RCA outs and ipod input. It still works with the remote by the wheel. The install was super easy for the deck.

Leaning towards a wetsounds EQ so I can adjust the tower speakers individually, but I am not really looking forward to running that many RCAs all the way around the bow and then back. Is there an easier way to the console area from the storage area in an XLV?

I put in a bluetop optima with an automatic relay also. Will probably build a nice battery rack to fit in neatly with the amp rack. Oh, and I have to build an amp rack :P

04OUTBACK
04-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Welcome aboard.
I have 1 amp on Tower, 1 5 channel amp running sub and 4 rear cockpit speakers.
I use the Clarion EQS746. It takes one rca in and splits to 3 out (sub, front, rear). Has separate controls for sub, and a fader for front/rear plus eq/crossover. I am very pleased. WetSounds makes the WS-420 that I hear is great, but pricey.
I also see some on here and wakeworld using a PAC volume control knob, but that works somewhat off voltage to the amp I believe.
You can find the Clarion on Ebay and around the net for $40-$60.
Look at www.hookedontronics.com .. that's where I got mine.
I left the front 2 cockpit speakers on the front channel of the factory stereo.
I have the stereo at even fade and no increase in bass or treble there.
The crossovers in the amps and equalizer help a ton in audio quality.

Welcome and congrats on the new boat.

Aquaholic
04-25-2008, 09:22 PM
Welcome to the Family.

My system in my 2005 XLV.

I replaced the 6 magnadyne's with 6 Polk DB675s'
1 JL 12w6 sub
1 JL 6450 to power the interior speakers and the Fusion tower speakers but I sold the fusions and have bought a pair of Wetsounds 485's. The 485s will be powered with 2 JL 300/2 amps.
In addition I bought a ws-420. The boat is going in for stereo surgery next week.

My head unit was the Kenwood 4028 with Aeware remotes( that stuff is for sale to a good home) but I have bought, but have yet to install my Clarion CMD5 headunit, one lcd remote and one without lcd for the transom.

There is a shorter route for the RCA cables but it requires a little work for the XLV. If you remove the floor, I replaced a Perfect pass cable last summer to save on a very high labor rate. The bolts are alone the inside of the seat base. There are phillips head screws that hold the floor down horizontally. If you do this I recommend you replace the oem ss phillips screws with ss square headed screws. If you went under once your likely to change something else down the road and the phillip heads are to soft to do repeat removal being stainless and strip easily.

Aqua

cab13367
04-25-2008, 10:10 PM
What's up everybody? From SW Washington... Finally got my own boat this year (been borrowing the parents Malibu for years).

Anyway.... Stereo question. I ran a search and it seems everyone has a different setup. I know it is probably beating a dead horse for the folks that have around for a while. Sorry....

Are most of you running 2 or 3 amps, and if so how are you setting up the fader for tower control?

My plan is to add tower speakers, replace the stock coaxials, add a sub and replace the head unit with an Alpine with 3 sets of preouts and iPod cable.

I am just wondering how I should set up my amps. I was thinking about the Kicker MX700.5 (5 channel) for the boat and Kicker MX350.4 (4 channel) for the tower, but I am willing to check out other options/suggestions/recommendations.

Thanks.....

Cheers,
Chad
Chad,

Welcome to the forum. One thing to consider is that if you replace the stock head unit, be sure it can accept a wired remote lead or else your dash mounted remote won't work. One option is to buy a Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X692. It's got three sets of 4V preouts, works with the stock wired remote, and has an ipod/USB cable and direct ipod control. Also, it's a direct replacement for the stocker so you literally slide out the stock one and slide in the new one. Even the wiring harness is the same. I bought mine on Ebay for $146 including shipping brand new.

Al

Burke
04-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Here are some thoughts and insight after reworking my system a couple times last summer:

* The Polk speakers are great for the price. I run 6 or the Polk MMC650's.
* When looking at amp's, make sure you check out the size. The amp's I purchased where huge, and limited how/where I could mount them.
* You should also look at how the amp's where rated. Most are rated around 14v, which you won't typically get in your boat. Some are rated at 12.8v, which will give you a good idea of the true power you'll see. So if the amp's your considering are rated at 14v, you'll get much less than advertised.
* Keep your system simple - more complex systems means more possible issues. Nothing like sitting on your trailer cussing at the wiring trying to get it working while the good water is still available.
* I've run 5-channels before, but probably won't again. A couple reasons: they are typically really big, and they get really hot. I'm much more inclined to run 2 4-channels and a mono for the sub(s).

I'll be running 2 4-channels and a mono. As for controlling the towers, I just split the remote lead into two. One goes directly to a 4-channel and mono so that when the stereo is one, the in-boat speakers are operational. I then run the other lead through a switch and relay to turn on the other 4-channel which is bridged and powering the towers. So it's an easy flick of a switch to get the towers going when you pull up a rider.

I buy a lot of stuff from www.woofersetc.com, they have great prices. Might want to check them out.

Sled491
04-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Welcome to the family Chadro!

I don't have much to add here. I have upgraded to the Polk cabin speakers and am very happy with them. I have gone with a Kenwood excelon 10 in SUb as it is only 3 3/8" deep and with the Ouback I don't have the same space as the Mobius boats. My amp is going to be the JL mono for the sub and the 4 channel for my cabin. All in all I will be under a grand and think it will sound awsum.

Relay work and second battery stuff I shall leave to Jesse C. He seems to have all the bugs worked out and has great pics to show step by step DIY instructions

newty
04-27-2008, 12:15 AM
What up Chadro. I'm from the Couve too! Where abouts are you located?

I'm still setting up my system on the new boat.
This is what I have so far
I ordered the boat with out the stereo so I opted to go Harmon Karden Drive and Play to Clarion 7 band EQ with 3 amp outputs directly to a Fosgate 1000.2 powering 2 Kicker 10" L5's in one off slot port boxes.
Fosgate 500.2 powering a set of fusion T-series 3 ways.
Fosgate 400.4 powering 6 of the new kicker KS 650's
4 Optimas and some serious wire.
The EQ alows you to have one input and be able to control all the amps seperately. Towers, subs, and interiors.

The amps you are thinking of using are great choices. I love Kicker stuff. Pretty much bullet proof. I ran a 700.5 in my last boat and loved it. You should be really happy with that set-up. I do agree with the earlier statements regarding the deck and remote usage. But if you went with the EQ you can still use everything you have and the sound quality will be much better. The EQ was the best 60 dollars I spent.
I'm still waiting on carpet from SC to finish the amp racks and boxes. When I get it done I'll post some pics.

Where do you usually go out? There is a bunch of us in the Portland Vancouver area. Check out pdxwake.com Good people there too.