PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers

dtlaine
11-05-2007, 11:20 PM
My engine in my 2000 OB LS overheated, and since then, I've been getting a lot of water in my bilge. I pulled the boat out of the lake today, and I put a garden hose in the exhaust from the transom. It didn't take long before I noticed water running into the bilge, so I'm assuming I need a pair of new mufflers. Does anybody know what the part number is or where I should buy them? They look simple enough to install.

Are there any other things I should look for after the overheating? The failure was the raw water pump not being primed, so I ordered a new one of those. I'll be sure to put a new impeller in there. It was leaking after I turned the motor off, and I never thought much of it. I guess that was mistake.

Thanks in advance.

james yarosz
11-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Before you order new mufflers I would look at the rubber hose that connect's the mufflers to the exhaust manifolds,and the mufflers to the exhaust tips.

zegm
11-08-2007, 08:04 PM
My wife and I overheated our boat like this a couple of years ago. Our pump was working but the inlet was clogged with weeds. The boat overheated and I had to pull the heads and get them repaired. After I put the heads back on and repaired the water flow restriction we went out into the lake. About 15 minutes into the ride I noticed the boat was sluggish and getting lower in the water. I picked up the engine cover and noticed we were taking on a lot of water. I drove right back to the dock, pulled the boat out and scratched my head. Once home I pulled the rubber exhaust tubing off the manifolds and was surprised to see that the inner liner of the tubing had collapsed and there was a huge hole in the bottom of the tubing. Now that I had the pump repaired I was putting all of the outgoing water directly into the hull. The mufflers were fine but I had to replace all the exhaust tubing at a dollar an inch and I needed 110 inches! When the pump stops working and you keep running the engine not only do you damage the engine but the super hot exhaust gas will melt the exhaust tubing!