PDA

View Full Version : Boomerang floor and stringers

murphy
08-05-2003, 09:10 PM
I have a 96 boomerang that apears to have some rot in the stringers. The engine mount screws have stripped and I can't get them to re-grip in another spot. Same situation with the fuel line screws. Does anyone know the cost to restring the boat and replace the floor, or if it is even worth doing?
Thanks in advance for any help
M

rrmuf
08-06-2003, 08:16 AM
I have no answers, but it does well up a dull ache.

Query to all: How pervasive a problem is this?

lowdrag
08-07-2003, 04:49 AM
I can't tell you how much it would cost to put in new stringers, but there may be other options. I've heard of a something where they can inject some sort of special mixture into the wood that will make it nice and solid again. As far as the screws and motor mounts, I used to used epoxy or fiberglass resin in my old boat. I would pour or inject it into the holes, let it set up and then drill out a whole slightly smaller than the screw.

I'm sure someone else hear would know more about the stuff that can be injected into the stringers.

08-08-2003, 12:47 PM
rrmuf,

This is my second B'rang, and had no problems with the first, this one actually has a crack in the floor glass where the previous owner dropped the battery ( I think). That in turn lets alot of water into the stringer with no way out.

Lowdrag,

I've temporarily fixed the problem with epoxy, but soon I'll have to do a permanent fix. I have 2 quotes from boat builders to replace the stringers and floor, but I would rather talk to someone that has dealt with this before I jump in.

Thanks for the reply

cham783
08-10-2003, 08:58 AM
Unfortunately I have been through this with my other boat - a 93 Monterey.

There is no easy fix, injecting the epoxy in the holes only works on rotten wood that is dry. You might be able to get by with the fiberglass idea but its probably ony a bandaid.

I don't know how much it would cost but I did most of the work myself. I would recommend checking with the manufacturer to see if there is any kind of warranty. On my boat the warranty ran out after 5 years, but I was persistent and finally found the right person. They wouldn't pay to have it fixed but they did send me enough money to cover most of my materials and enough new carpet to re-carpet the boat after I was done.

Its not real hard to do, not rocket science, but it is a lot of blood, sweat, and time. I would be happy to go through it with you if you ever decide to tackle it.

Chad