PDA

View Full Version : 06 Outback Boat Cover problems

gammapark
10-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Anyone else out there had issues with their boat covers? Mine is less than a year old and already had one of the tie down straps rip off where it is sewn into the cover. The other straps have some small tears where they are connected as well.

Also, my boat has a tower and the cover leaves BIG gaps where the tower is mounted at the rear most point, rain water gets in constantly. Seems like a very poor design. Anyone using aftermarket covers? Any good (better), cost???

Chris

gammapark
10-31-2007, 09:30 AM
Yes, it is canvas, and seems pretty heavy. It has been fairly waterproof, but again, the large gaping holes at the tower mounts let lots of rain water in.

BensonWdby
11-01-2007, 12:17 AM
Do you trailer your boat with the cover on it?

gammapark
11-02-2007, 09:55 AM
I do trailer the boat occassionally with the cover on it. Not at excessive speed though. I know that puts more stress on the points where the straps are secured, but that's the point of the straps, isn't it????

JesseC
11-02-2007, 11:26 AM
but that's the point of the straps, isn't it????

In my case the purpose of the straps is to keep the cover tight so that rain rolls off of it on the rare occasions where it has to sit outside. I would worry about the straps vibrating back and forth due to the wind and suffer gell coat scratches due to the friction. We never tow with the cover on the boat! They are way too expensive. I also do like Ed and use a cheap plastic tarp over the good one to keep it from getting sun baked and to keep the bird poo off of it!! The plastic tarp also solves the issue of the "Holes" around the towers where rain loves to channel in!! We just go to Wally world buy a tarp and the cut it to fit and then use bungy cords to secure it to the trailer.

Here is my overkill solution to the holes in the tarp around the tower!!! Just cover the Whole darn thing trailer and all....problem solved and the neighbors love it :roll: . ($25 tarp from ebay, lasts one to two seasons.) In the pic I am standing on the swim platform trying to throw the cover back over the tower!!

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/boattarp.jpg

Buttafewcoe
11-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Musta been his Halloween costume
can't hep but smile
B

JesseC
11-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Musta been his Halloween costume
can't hep but smile
B

The Mobius asked to be a Ghost Pirate ship, but all I could come up with was a big blue ghost, maybe next year!!!

zabooda
11-04-2007, 02:56 AM
I spent $400 on a 15 year custom cover. It is harder to put on because it is heavier than the canvas cover but it will pay off in the end.

Sled491
11-10-2007, 11:16 PM
We had a custom amde sumbrella cover for our last boat and I'm getting one made for our Outback. Sumbrella has a 5-10year life and isn't or shouldn't be affected by excessive moisture or hummidity. It is also very trailerable when used with a snap system. Some people don't like the snaps, but it works better for me.